star terk the next generation vs star trek

seaqueastdsv

[1]Sep 10, 2007
    • level: 12
    the next generation beats the others hands down
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Tronman100

[2]Sep 10, 2007
    • level: 11
    seaqueastdsv wrote:
    the next generation beats the others hands down

on what criteria?

alex20020712

[3]Sep 10, 2007
    • level: 7
    This is *so* 1987.

iamralphiam

[4]Sep 11, 2007
    • level: 6
    all things considered, DS9 was probbably the best thought out series as far as plot goes, and TNG had the best cast, and the original is what we owe the base storyline and theme of all of them...

just my op

seaqueastdsv

[5]Sep 12, 2007
    thats for u answer you understood what i was trying to say. all i meant was which out of all the star treks do the fans like the most.

Tronman100

[6]Sep 12, 2007
    • level: 11
    Oh, well in that case...

ATM, my personal preference is TNG and Voyager tied for first, followed by DS9 and Enterprise as close seconds, and last, but in no way least, TOS. That's not to say I don't love TOS (I do) but I definitely like the latter ones better.

trekgirldana

[7]Sep 13, 2007
    • level: 2
    Next Generation is the first Trek series that I watched. I loved it during its original television run, and it is still my second favorite Trek series (I discovered TOS about 11 years ago, and it is now my favorite).

seto1

[8]Sep 13, 2007
    • level: 16
    i started watching TNG first and thats what got me intrested in star trek,but to me voyager took it to a new level every episode i wondered if they would ever make it home,wow.No offence to all lovers of the original but i never really intreasted me that much

belial_77

[9]Sep 19, 2007
    • level: 17

my fav series depends on aspect... the best stories? I liked TOS (I heard DS9 was good, but have not gotten round to watching it)... character wise? I liked Voyager (I felt Tuvok really stepped it up for Vulcans, and Torres was great in showing both her Klingon and Human sides and the conflict there of, and the Doctor was awesome)... over all story of the whole show? I liked Enterprise (the fleshing out of some of the second rate races (like Andorians, Orions, and Old School Klingons) that had shown up in TOS and others as basically back-drop for a story was great...

So each show has its merits and flaws... its just a matter of what you look for in a Trek...

btw, out of curiosity, how much does a person's fav relate to their age? I'm 30 and I watched TOS in reruns for years before TNG came out... what everyone's age and fav trek to see if there a correlation?

Richiebcfc25

[10]Sep 22, 2007
    • level: 47
    Star trek voyager is my fave from the series because it spent all its time fighting aliens and TNG spent most of its time going on about issues and having to listen to counsellor trois pychobabble which seem to be in nearly every episode of TNG

belial_77

[11]Sep 22, 2007
    Amen... I mean its one thing to have a point your trying to get acrosss... but to spend every episode on a soap-box? I mean at least Kirk knew how to fight aliens and hook-up w/ green chicks while making a point....

pjhasham

[12]Sep 24, 2007
    I've seen practically nothing of Voyager, Enterprise and The Original Series, and I've only seen two seasons of DS9, but I do have every episode of TNG. My favourite is DS9, because I generally prefer serials to shows where nothing changes. I'm thinking about getting into Enterprise, I hear the third season was supposed to be a lot like DS9.

LadyGawain

[13]Sep 24, 2007
    I like the Original Series andTNG best. TOS may not have the high tech special effects and all, and I found some episodes to be a little cheesy (not to mention they don't always use makeup for the different species of aliens, I didn't even recognize the Klingons, they looked human!) but it's how the whole Star Trek thing got started! I also like TNG a lot, but I think it's mostly because of the great characters, and that I have seen most of the episodes. I never liked Voyager much, I didn't think it really had quite the same feel to it that the other series had, but that's just my opinion. I only saw three or four episodes of DS9, so I can't really make a call on that one. What I saw was pretty good, though.

belial_77

[14]Sep 24, 2007
    LadyGawain wrote:
    (not to mention they don't always use makeup for the different species of aliens, I didn't even recognize the Klingons, they looked human!)

That was explained in many non-cannon fiction... then in the fourth season of Enterprise, they finally had an explanation IN CANNON! it might have taken them close to 50 years, but they fixed it...
    I liked the non browed Klingons... in fact, I never liked TNG because of them... I thought it looked hokey and bobo...

LadyGawain

[15]Sep 24, 2007

belial_77 wrote:
    LadyGawain wrote:
    (not to mention they don't always use makeup for the different species of aliens, I didn't even recognize the Klingons, they looked human!)
    That was explained in many non-cannon fiction... then in the fourth season of Enterprise, they finally had an explanation IN CANNON! it might have taken them close to 50 years, but they fixed it... I liked the non browed Klingons... in fact, I never liked TNG because of them... I thought it looked hokey and bobo...

Oh! Thanks for the info! Yea, it does look a bit strange, but I guess it's what I'm used to. I've seen more TNG than I have TOS. But they've had a lot more aliens with even wilder looks!

thedirtyberk

[16]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 5

Since this is the TNG forum, I feel compelled to retort a bit about people saying other series of ST are better, even though I have an appreciation for all the other shows.

TNG was on a soap-box alot of the time. That's actually part of what made it so great. TNG came out in the late 80's when almost all television was superficial and/or ridiculous. (Not that that's changed much recently, but I digress.) When everything else was a mixture of Who's the Boss? and/or American Gladiators, TNG brought some real feeling and thought to the little screen. I still like those other shows I grew up with, but they don't have any relevance to my overall life, whereas TNG does.

Those soap-boxes they pulled out were so varied and vast... so imaginative and thought-provoking in their time. There were no other shows that would spend seasons talking about racism, disabilities, the essence of being human, aliens' rights, terrorism, personal growth and regret, and all areas of morality. They explored all these things and the cast was generally phenomenal... and lead by the best Captain you could ever hope for in Jean-Luc Picard: a diplomat, warrior, and CEO rolled into one!

The best episodes of TNG -- Chain of Command, The Inner Light, Darmok, etc. -- all beat the ever-loving crap out of the best episodes of the other ST franchises, with or without the excess phaser fire and explosions! I know the others are still good... I like them all in different ways... but TNG is exactly what it should have been. I still think it is the ideal of what Roddenberry always wanted a show to be. His hands were tied with TOS because of our culture then. In TNG he could realize the ultimate goal of fleshing out 100 socio-political and moral topics over many seasons. Despite some failings, if you take the show all-in-all, for what's it's worth, it was a truly noble undertaking.

jrsgalaxy

[17]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 14

I first saw TNG on my own accord and immediately loved. It was during a low point of my life. Basically I was going through depression phase and watching the marathon on then TNN now Spike is what got me through that rpugh patch. I got into the other shows basically to get a well rounded view on the Star Trek franchise. Then basically tried to devour everything STAR TREK. TNG was a little more diplomatic than the other shows, but I think that was due to that it was made during the 80s with the cold war feeling still lingering. Everything was handled in a sensitive manner, so portraying a diplomatic warrior/captain was in my opinion the way to go. Picard wanted to handle everything peacefully so that no lives were lost. As for DS9 and Voyager, Sisko sure didnt surrender as much as Picard and Janeway never wooried about creating a confrontation if she thought she was acting for the greater good even though usually her crew got the short end of the stick. Kirk was aware of the prime directive just didnt care. And as for Archer well his adventures with his crew was probably what prompted the creation of the Prime Directive.

Basically Voyager just didnt do anything for me . The episodes seemed sub-par. The characters werent that engaging or interesting. I mean the best episodes were probably with those that dealt with guest stars . Unlike TNG I can think of a number episodes that were great becuase of the characters that were in it. Darmok couldnt have been done with any body else than Picard ,but anybody could have played the alien captain.Same with inner light. Parallels.

DS9 is probably second best becuz it had the second best cast. I can watch almost any episode of TNG, but with DS9 i can only see certain seasons entirely and some episodes in the rest.

TOS is great becuase it has this great charm. Partly due to when it was recorded and their cheap special effects and the dialogue with thactors was great. It is my third best trek.

Voyager and Enterprise are tied for last. But Enterprise wsa more engaging than Voyager but never had a chance to fully mature so cant say for sure.