Star Trek Movie 11 engage!

juan_g84

[1]Apr 21, 2006
    • level: 3
    read this link and leave comments

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=316582
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lobomensch

[2]Apr 21, 2006
    • level: 51
    Saw this on CNN this morning, we have a thread going about it in Enterprise topic.

LithiumAngel420

[3]Apr 21, 2006
    • level: 4
    NO FREAKING WAY. I wanted another movie and all but this is crap. Did Paramount not see the CRAP that came from ENT when they went into the past? Plus, how are we going to see a young Kirk and young Spock (especially since Vulcan's age more slowly) without thinking about Bill and Leonard? TOS fans will not like this, I am predicting. They'd better come up with a better plotline than that if they really intend to do a movie. Why not just do one with the Voyager cast? Grrr, so infuriated about this.

AlanShore

[4]Apr 22, 2006
    LithiumAngel420 wrote:
    They'd better come up with a better plotline than that if they really intend to do a movie. Why not just do one with the Voyager cast?

If a Voyager movie is considered a "better plotline", then I'm President of the Berman Fan Club!

LithiumAngel420

[5]Apr 23, 2006
    AlanShore wrote:
    LithiumAngel420 wrote:
    They'd better come up with a better plotline than that if they really intend to do a movie. Why not just do one with the Voyager cast?

If a Voyager movie is considered a "better plotline", then I'm President of the Berman Fan Club!

Apparently you didn't hear the sarcasm in my voice...

SRP76

[6]Apr 23, 2006
    • level: 10

Actually, I'll be serious in my support of Voyager!

I DO NOT want to see some "When Jimmy Met Spock" piece of trash.

As I have stated on at least one other forum, let the original series GO! The TOS mythos are JUST FINE as is; NO retconning necessary (you just KNOW they'll try to rewrite the established material with a film like this)!

AlanShore

[7]Apr 23, 2006
    LithiumAngel420 wrote:
    AlanShore wrote:
    LithiumAngel420 wrote:

Apparently you didn't hear the sarcasm in my voice...

Sorry...it's just that you obviously love Voyager so much more than I do.

LithiumAngel420

[8]Apr 24, 2006
    AlanShore wrote:
    Sorry...it's just that you obviously love Voyager so much more than I do.

That is probably true, but even I know a Voyager movie would bomb.

SRP76

[9]Apr 24, 2006

Well, giving it some thought, I don't think a movie should be made with either DS9 or Voyager. I'll explain:

In the series finale of DS9, the crew is absolutely SCATTERED to the four winds (not to mention the Captain, well, "leaving", so to speak). In essence, there IS no DS9 crew anymore, so how could they do a movie with that crew?

Voyager has a similar problem; half the ship's crew is NOT with Starfleet! They aren't even "real" crew, they (the Maquis members) fall into the category of "civilians", just filling in for dead Starfleet personnel. Logically, once Voyager got home, they would have NO business remaining on board. Once again, no crew = no movie about them.

Don't get me wrong; I am NOT behind the proposed TOS rehash, in ANY way. I'm just saying that options regarding existing crews is SEVERELY limited (even the TNG crew, after Nemesis, is splintered!).

If I had my way (which I DON'T), the movie would be about a whole NEW crew, ship, and adventure.

This way, they wouldn't have to worry about screwing up anything that has already been established. Any TOS flick will be HEAVILY under the microscope of older fans; with a whole NEW deal, they would avoid ALL of these pitfalls.

LithiumAngel420

[10]Apr 24, 2006
    I agree completely.

Link2Hyrule

[11]Apr 27, 2006
    What about the crew from the New Frontier book series?

lobomensch

[12]Apr 28, 2006
    Very unlikely, given that Paramount has usually scraped the bottom of the barrel, ie., buddies and soap-writers under Berman's reign, not professional writers as most Star Trek novelists are. "Too intellectual for Trek" they will tell you. Whatever.

SRP76

[13]Apr 28, 2006
    "Marketable" is NOT always marketable, though. For instance, if this does turn out to be a prequel, Paramount will make NO money off me, because I won't go see the film.

I would prefer using the New Frontier crew, because, as far as TV or films is concerned, it is something new.

Actually, I think the best thing for the whole Trek franchise would be for someone, anyone, to buy the rights from Paramount.

Now that I think about it, that'll be my next TOS thread.

Link2Hyrule

[14]Apr 28, 2006
    Here's another idea:  The origin of the Borg.  I mean, they didn't start out as cybernetic organisms, right?  My guess, is that thousands of years ago they were a civilization just like Earth.  Organic Humanoids, advancements in technology, space travel, yada yada yada.  As their technology grew, they started creating neural implants for various things, then bionic limbs, and soon they found a way to give them artificial intelligence.  And we all know what happens when AI goes bad, right?  This is all guesswork, mind you, but it does make sense.  We've already seen into the inner workings and daily lives of the Federation's other enemies:  Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians.  It would be nice to see the same from the Borg, however hopeless they may be.

LithiumAngel420

[15]Apr 29, 2006
    Link2Hyrule wrote:
    Here's another idea:  The origin of the Borg....We've already seen into the inner workings and daily lives of the Federation's other enemies:  Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians.  It would be nice to see the same from the Borg, however hopeless they may be.

Now there's a thought. Trek fans would go see that. I think...

Link2Hyrule

[16]Apr 30, 2006
    Everywhere you look somebody makes a new origin story showing how the bad guy really started out as a good guy and something happened to turn him bad.  Very rare, though is one of those stories where it is actually justified.  The Borg is one such instance.  I can think of one or two others but the only one I can think of by name is Star Wars 1-3, with Anakin's descent to Darth Vader.

lobomensch

[17]Apr 30, 2006
    That is rather cliche, though, isn't it? My idea regarding that would be to have the Borg being rotten to begin with, and using technology that winds up overwhelming them. That would add a better sense of irony to it.

Link2Hyrule

[18]May 1, 2006

lobomensch wrote:
    That is rather cliche, though, isn't it? My idea regarding that would be to have the Borg being rotten to begin with, and using technology that winds up overwhelming them. That would add a better sense of irony to it.

And then what?  Their transformation makes them realize how bad they really are, but it's too late to change?  That's not very Star Trek like, so let's not give the guys doing this any more ideas, shall we.  Each major civilization/villain in Star Trek has a reason for being the way they are:  The Klingons, back in Kirk's day they just felt that being the warriors they are meant they should rule over all.  Similar ideals were from the Cardassians and Romulans.  And the Founders were beings of order, and felt the galaxy was lacking in that.  None of these species were bad, they just didn't go about obtaining their goals the right way, and they all saw that in the end.

lobomensch

[19]May 2, 2006
    No, I think they wouldn't even be aware of the transformation into the Hive mind, that's what I was hinting at there.
    As far as having bad guys that were bad at the beginning, I don't see where that can't fit in Star Trek. Making villains shouldn't follow a set pattern.

reachums

[20]May 5, 2006
    • level: 9

they could probably pull off a DS9 movie, the whole, Capt. Sisko "leaving" thing brings a great reason for everyone to get back together; Sisko "coming back" lets face it, if you were miles or worf (or whoever else left), wouldn't you take some leave time to find out what happened to him? he could come back because there was some crisis that he knew about because of his being a with the prophets. they could make it work. heck, in the last few NG movies they found reasons for Worf to come aboard!