Storyline that dare not speak its name ?

king_wah

[1]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 1

Gosh it won't let me post Gay in the title. How odd.

HiFolks. My first post here. From the UK

I have been watching a lot of Star Trek TNG recently as I have just got Sky+ and am recording episodes day and night. I had forgotten how fantastic a series it is.

What I had forgotten was how contemporary some of the issues discussed in it are. But I wondered was there ever a storyline that involved a gay character. I have no axe to grind here or hidden agenda.I am just curious that in a show that tackled so many issues it is a theme that has been absent in the episodes I have watched. Could anybody enlighten me if it a subject that has ever come up.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lazyjay

[2]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 30
    The closest thing I remember was when Dr Crusher fell in love with an early Trek incarnation of a Trill host/symbiont. When something happens to the host, it is eventually replaced by a female host and Dr. Crusher couldn't deal with it. She said something along the lines of "Maybe someday I'll be able to look past the exterior body but I can't love you now."

Sorry, I don't know the episode name.

iamralphiam

[3]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 6
    there have been several attempts to implement a storyline with gay characters (even whoopi goldberg pushed the issue) but none have made it into existence; I guess they're more concerned with keeping their homophobic fan base, or they're convinced theres no gays in the future (ha!)

VulcanTwin

[4]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 4

I think the closest the series came was in Season 5 in an episode called The Outcast.This featured an androgynous race called the Janai'i, however, a small part of the population was attracted to either one or the other sex exclusively. In this episode a "woman" became attracted to none other than Commander Riker **SPOILER***Riker was going to give her asylum on the Enterprise, but she had already been taken back to her planet for "therapy" and proclaimed to be much happier now that she had been"reformed".

Go to the "notes" section of this episode....there is some good info about what happened to exploring the subject further.

VulcanTwin

[6]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 4
    lazyjay wrote:
    The closest thing I remember was when Dr Crusher fell in love with an early Trek incarnation of a Trill host/symbiont. When something happens to the host, it is eventually replaced by a female host and Dr. Crusher couldn't deal with it. She said something along the lines of "Maybe someday I'll be able to look past the exterior body but I can't love you now."

Sorry, I don't know the episode name.

That was "The Host" Season 4...GREAT Episode.

pjhasham

[7]Sep 27, 2007
    • level: 17
    People think that the collector who kidnapped Data was gay based on his line "Personally I'd be delighted if you walked around naked."

Tronman100

[8]Sep 28, 2007
    • level: 11
    There are no episodes of TNG I'm aware of that deal specifically with homosexuality. From what I've read, there were lots of *plans* to include a gay character (including Lt. Hawk from Star Trek First Contact) but it never came to be for one reason or another (they might just be rumors though).

It's implied a few times in DS9 but not explicitly.

jrsgalaxy

[9]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 14
    Theres already a thread called Blood and fire, the lost TNG episode by sporkman about an episode that never aired or got acrapped dealing with an aids like disease and a gay couple.

pjhasham

[10]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 17
    Tronman100 wrote:
    I'd call Jadzia kissing her ex-wife and Mirror Kira kissing Ezri fairly explicit.

Tronman100

[11]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 11
    pjhasham wrote:
    Tronman100 wrote:
    I'd call Jadzia kissing her ex-wife and Mirror Kira kissing Ezri fairly explicit.

Haha, true true, I guess I just think of 'explicit' like Willow/Tara from Buffy...that was awesome.