The Star Trek Curse

pjhasham

[1]Oct 7, 2007
    • level: 17

You've probably heard of the rule that even-numbered Star Trek movies are always better than odd-numbered ones, but there are two other rules discovered by Michael D of www.michaeldvd.com.au

2: If members of the cast sing in a Star Trek movie, be afraid. Be very afraid.

3: If the Director of a Star Trek movie also stars in the movie, he'll give himself some really hammy and gratuitous scenes.

Does anyone think these are accurate? Because two of my three least favourite films in the series cover all of these.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

M00N-CAT

[2]Oct 9, 2007
    • level: 7
    Sounds pretty accurate to me...

Scorptilicus

[3]Oct 17, 2007
    • level: 9
    You think Frakes and Nimoy gave themselves hammy scenes?

Oooh, let me guess, Final Frontier and Insurrection, right?

pjhasham

[4]Oct 18, 2007

Yes, but Shatner directed Frontier, not Nimoy. Nimoy was generally good in III and IV, but Nicholas Meyer's are both in my top 3. Shatner and Robert Wise were my least favourites. And as a director Frakes was fine, although in both of his movies it can be argued that he gave himself some hammy scenes, and I sincerely hope he wasn't responsible for the Picard-Data Gilbert and Sullivan duet and the lines "Have you noticed how your boobs are starting to firm up?" Those, above anything else, killed Insurrection for me. Would have been better if DS9 had done it as an episode.

In my opinion, Number 5 is not actually the worst, (and the singing isn't as bad as Insurrection,) but only because of the incredibly slow scenes involving V'Ger in No. 1. Half an hour shorter and that movie would have been a lot more watchable, although Shatner's acting was still a problem. In contradiction to Rule 2, I have no problem with the singing in Nemesis.

I think this quote from Rinkworks sums up my position on Insurrection:

:
    When your first ship-to-ship combat scene hinges on a Data/Picard Gilbert and Sullivan duet, you really should consider firing all of your writers. If you got far enough into production with the script in this form to actually get a sample of what a Brent Spiner/Patrick Stewart duet would sound like, you really ought to consider firing yourself. If you not only film the scene, but decide to allow Michael Dorn to sing backup, you really need to be shot. If nothing else, director/first officer Jonathon Frakes/Will Riker deserves an award for working in the Trek universe for a decade without ever picking up anything that might lead him to the conclusion that such a scene would be a really freaking bad idea. No wait, I meant "swift kick in the nads" not "award."

MattRker

[5]Oct 18, 2007
    • level: 1
    HI. I am new to your board but not to Star Trek. I personally do not believe in the 'curse.' For example: I enjoyed The Final Frontier much more than I did The Voyage Home. And I dislike Nemesis.

MrBCorp

[6]Nov 28, 2007
    • level: 3
    Nah, I'm a believer in the odd/even rule. But I think we now need to add the multiple of five rule. The 10th movie was absolutely atrocious. It was enough to convince me to give up the franchise for good.

pjhasham

[7]Nov 29, 2007

I think that the multiple of five rule is a really poor way to amend the other rule, because it's impossible to prove until Number 20 is made. Better just to think of Nemesis as an exception. In any case, I thought Nemesis was fantastic for the dogfights, the shootouts, the
    car chase, and Data's sacrifice. But I've argued that enough in other threads.

Does anyone think the other two rules have some merit?

SRP76

[8]Dec 1, 2007
    • level: 10
    No.

The was nothing wrong with the original movie (#1). #5 wasn't bad. So there's two "odd-numbered" that weren't bad.

#6 wasn't all that good. #10 wasn't good. So, there's two "even-numbered" that don't make the grade.

As far as singing, I don't remember a lot of singing going on, other than in #9 and #10 (and Uhura's brief scene in #5).

scifinut99

[9]Dec 11, 2007
    • level: 15
    my opinion not al;ll odd movies were badd just 1 and5 are my least fav. nemisis i thought was great i did enjoy insurection and generations. the search for spock wasnt bad. now as for nemesis failure i think it was paramounts faught for releasing it when lord of the rings the two towers harry potter, and die another day were al released in my opinion nemesis shouldve been released in feb. of 2003