Watching the "Star Trek" series for the first time (Spoiler)

winoni71

[1]Mar 28, 2009
    • level: 12

Hi there,

a few years back i watched "Star Trek: TOS" + the 7 Motion Pictures related to that series and thought they were really good.

Now i finally found the will to watch the other series (for some reason i expected to be disappointed by them), my question is if this is the best order to follow:

1) Next Generation (1987)

2) Deep Space 9 (1993)

3) Voyager (1995)

4) Enterprise (2001)

Also i would like to know if there are any cross-over episodes between shows and when to watch the other movies.

Thank you.

Edited on 04/15/2009 1:12am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stvoyman

[2]Mar 28, 2009
    • level: 4
    Yes, that is pretty much the order you should go with. DS9 started during TNG's 6th season. There is a cross-over episode (actually a minor B-plot) during TNG's 6th season that introduces the DS9 group....look for episode "Birthright". There are a few instances where TNG characters show up on DS9 (Thomas Riker, Q, B'Etor/Lursa) and Voyager (Troi, Barclay, Riker, Q). There are also a few episodes in DS9 with a mirror universe, and in one episode we see Tuvok (Voyager).

Oh, and DS9 starts out with scenes from when Picard was abducted by the Borg (Locutus) --- definitely a cross-over scenario to help introduce DS9.

I may be forgetting some other instances, but yes, watch in that order. This will also help with understanding how Starfleet was introduced to certain alien races (Borg, which is vital for Voyager) and the history of Alpha Quadrant alliances (Klingons vs Starfleet vs Romulans, etc - which is huge in DS9).

You can watch the movies at any time. I think Insurrection and Nemesis occurred after Worf joined DS9, but it really doesn't matter. You can watch the movies after you finish TNG and that'll be just fine. Oh, watch for Janeway and The Doctor cameos (Voyager) in the movies (but again, doesn't matter when you watch as their roles as very small).

Enjoy - and don't skip any episodes! And just remember, the first 2 seasons of TNG and DS9 might be hard to get through bc some of the episodes are bad as they stuggle to find their footing. It is worth it though to watch all episodes and in order. Don't short change yourself!

pferreira86

[4]Mar 31, 2009
    • level: 17
    So not to get confused and to watch them in the best way you might like to start watching DS9 about half way through Next Generation's sixth season and continue to watch them in sync one episode from each back to back. Then start watching Voyager at the beginning of DS9's third season. Or just watch each Star Trek show one by one. Whatever you find less confusing!
    Edited on 03/31/2009 6:52am
    Edited 2 total times.

jrsgalaxy

[5]Mar 31, 2009
    • level: 14
    pferreira86 wrote:
    So not to get confused and to watch them in the best way you might like to start watching DS9 about half way through Next Generation's sixth season and continue to watch them in sync one episode from each back to back. Then start watching Voyager at the beginning of DS9's third season. Or just watch each Star Trek show one by one. Whatever you find less confusing!
    Yeah watching one series at a time is perfectly fine especially TNG then DS9. YOu wont really miss much. The crossover are really minimal to non-existent. You dont need to watch DS9 and Voyager simultaneously since Voyager is in the Delta Quadrant. I believe more TNG characters came out on Voyager anyways. Plus they even follow with a sequel to a TNG episode. The Price being the TNG episode and False Profits being the sequel Voyager did. So definitely watch TNG first , then after that it doesnt matter DS9 or voyager or simultaneously. If yo do wanna watch them in order including the movies just follow our time line . It pretty much runs the same. TNG ran from 1987-1994 DS9 1993-1999 DS9 premiered halfways through TNG's sixth season so you can start watching DS9 then. Then you can watch "Generations" which came out in 1994 when your'e done watching all the TNG episodes and have watched the first two seasons of DS9. Then Voyager premiered during DS9's third season at the midpoint as well. Then First Contact came out in 1996 which would be right before the start of Voyagers third season and right before the start of DS9 's fifth season because Worf is already on DS9 in First Contact and had been on there for a year. He premiered on DS9 at the start of its fourth season and thats when they change uniforms again. So just do the same for Insurrection (1999)( Insurrection premiered right after DS9 wrapped) and Nemesis. Nemesis came out in 2002 , by then both Voyager and DS9 were done so you can watch that after you've watched all the episodes. I'm not saying this is the order that they were meant to be watched in . All im saying that this is the timeline that they came out in and were originally watched in.
    Edited on 03/31/2009 9:25pm

pferreira86

[6]Apr 1, 2009
    jrsgalaxy wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:
    Yeah watching one series at a time is perfectly fine especially TNG then DS9. YOu wont really miss much. The crossover are really minimal to non-existent. You dont need to watch DS9 and Voyager simultaneously since Voyager is in the Delta Quadrant. I believe more TNG characters came out on Voyager anyways. Plus they even follow with a sequel to a TNG episode. The Price being the TNG episode and False Profits being the sequel Voyager did. So definitely watch TNG first , then after that it doesnt matter DS9 or voyager or simultaneously. If yo do wanna watch them in order including the movies just follow our time line . It pretty much runs the same. TNG ran from 1987-1994 DS9 1993-1999 DS9 premiered halfways through TNG's sixth season so you can start watching DS9 then. Then you can watch "Generations" which came out in 1994 when your'e done watching all the TNG episodes and have watched the first two seasons of DS9. Then Voyager premiered during DS9's third season at the midpoint as well. Then First Contact came out in 1996 which would be right before the start of Voyagers third season and right before the start of DS9 's fifth season because Worf is already on DS9 in First Contact and had been on there for a year. He premiered on DS9 at the start of its fourth season and thats when they change uniforms again. So just do the same for Insurrection (1999)( Insurrection premiered right after DS9 wrapped) and Nemesis. Nemesis came out in 2002 , by then both Voyager and DS9 were done so you can watch that after you've watched all the episodes. I'm not saying this is the order that they were meant to be watched in . All im saying that this is the timeline that they came out in and were originally watched in.
    I'm so fussy when it comes to watching a television show that I would probably have to do it this way.

jrsgalaxy

[7]Apr 2, 2009
    pferreira86 wrote:
    jrsgalaxy wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:
    I'm so fussy when it comes to watching a television show that I would probably have to do it this way.
    I know what you mean. I Like to watch it the way everyone else watched it. The way a true fan originally watched it I mean. Since I was kind of young when TNG premiered and didnt get into sci-fi until my early twenties I pretty much missed the whole boat with the exception of Enterprise which isn't much of a consolation prize. I'd much rather have preferred to watch TNG as it was airing. Mainly due to the fact that it was the 80's so the visual effects were pretty awesome back then and so was the concept of a new Trek show. Plus the writing was real intelligent and the adventures were awesome. It was just better than all those run of the mill shows that were airing at the time which were mainly comedies like Cheers. While I love my comedies and Cheers , theres just something about a good sci-fi show set in the distant future that takes you in. It must of been fantastic for the fans back then. Anyways thats just me rambling on.

pferreira86

[8]Apr 3, 2009

I remember watching the pilot to TNG back in 1990 on BBC 2 at about 6.00pm. I sat down to watch it with my sister. I think I was 8 years old. She was introducing me to Star Trek. In the UK I could see the show on BBC 2 and Sky One at the same time but always went with Sky. The crew were like a family and I remember being intimidated by Captain Picard as he reminded me of the sort of strict teachers I had at school. Those were happy memories. TNG holds a special place for me. Sure, I had watched 15 or so minutes of episodes of Knight Rider and The A-Team but TNG was I believe the first 45 minute show I watched all the way through from beginning to end for every episode. At that age I was more interested in cartoons so Next Generation was a rare exception.

Oh, and the visual effects were absolutely amazing back then and still are now. Where No One Has Gone Before have fantastic visuals.

lazyjay

[9]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 30
    jrsgalaxy wrote:
    It must of been fantastic for the fans back then.

It was frakin' awesome. I was a kid who grew up on original Star Trek re-runs, so to see a new series as a teenager was just amazing.

On the special effects front, I didn't notice this until a friend pointed it out to me on about the third episode... during the title sequence right before the Enterprise warps out for the last time, you can see someone turning and walking away from the windows. I don't know why, but that always grabs me. Ever since then (20+ years and unnumbered viewings later) I look for it in every episode I watch. It's not a huge deal effects wise, but it was pretty new at the time. And now if I don't see that part of the title sequence I feel as if missed something in the episode.

pferreira86

[10]Apr 6, 2009
    lazyjay wrote:
    jrsgalaxy wrote:
    It must of been fantastic for the fans back then.
    It was frakin' awesome. I was a kid who grew up on original Star Trek re-runs, so to see a new series as a teenager was just amazing. On the special effects front, I didn't notice this until a friend pointed it out to me on about the third episode... during the title sequence right before the Enterprise warps out for the last time, you can see someone turning and walking away from the windows. I don't know why, but that always grabs me. Ever since then (20+ years and unnumbered viewings later) I look for it in every episode I watch. It's not a huge deal effects wise, but it was pretty new at the time. And now if I don't see that part of the title sequence I feel as if missed something in the episode.
    I know what you mean. When you watch a TV show and really enjoy it you always look for certain routines or character quirks. The Next Generation went on for seven years so it built up a lot of that over the years.

seto1

[11]Apr 7, 2009
    • level: 16
    hey did i come too late for the the TNG praising.

pferreira86

[12]Apr 8, 2009
    seto1 wrote:
    No. Feel free to jump right in. You might want to bring some tissues and also a violin.
    Edited on 04/08/2009 5:02am

jrsgalaxy

[13]Apr 9, 2009
    pferreira86 wrote:
    seto1 wrote:
    No. Feel free to jump right in. You might want to bring some tissues and also a violin.
    Thers a certain ambience about watching the show especially by yourself. I remember my Aunt commandeering the remote at times since I was staying at her house and tuning in to watch TNG before I was into it. Its not that I didnt like it , its just that I wasnt familiar with it. So what I remember watching is kind of hazy . Plus I didnt get into it. Then a few years later TNN had that huge promotion and the marathon and I started watching. I must of watched until about one in the morning . I think season five episodes were showing that particular day. I went from not being interested in it to not beaing able to stop watching becuse they were so enjoyable I mean once you get a little background on the stories and characters . Thanks to the TNG actors for taking some time out and appearing on TNN when the TNG started airing there to promote it and share some of their insight to their characters. I was pretty lost back then.

seto1

[14]Apr 10, 2009
    Well my first memory of watching a star trek was in 2000,this was before i became as much a scifi fan as i am now.I was home sick from school feeling simply bored .I used my last bit of strength and got the remote simply surfing through channels and then saw this space ship being chased by a some enery ball.I looked better than the other options so i watched as Q put picard and the federation on trial.The rest is history but it also became a gate way for me to become intrested in other scifi shows like stargate.Add new content

jrsgalaxy

[15]Apr 11, 2009
    seto1 wrote:
    Well my first memory of watching a star trek was in 2000,this was before i became as much a scifi fan as i am now.I was home sick from school feeling simply bored .I used my last bit of strength and got the remote simply surfing through channels and then saw this space ship being chased by a some enery ball.I looked better than the other options so i watched as Q put picard and the federation on trial.The rest is history but it also became a gate way for me to become intrested in other scifi shows like stargate.Add new content
    Thats kind of what happened to me too. in 2002 because of TNG I got into Sci-Fi big time. Stargate , Farscape, Andromeda Babylon 5 etc etc. I was going through this depression and anxiety attacks that pretty much left me confined to my house for a few months. I was flipping through the channels and TNN was dong this huge promotion that they were going to start airing TNG all the actors were doing cameos where they were reminiscing. It just piqued my curiosity. I havent stopped watching since then.

seto1

[16]Apr 12, 2009
    Lol well scifi has united but im so jealous im the you that live in the US.I watch alot of the expos on g4 and they look so awesome,meeting the stars the many swag you can get,here it the caribbean we dont have as large a following so..... .

winoni71

[17]Apr 13, 2009

Even though its wasn't my intention I'm happy to have started this "walk-down-memory-lane" thread.

And just so you know, I almost finished the first season of TNG and looking forward for the rest, thank you all for your advice.

Live long and prosper.

winoni71

[18]Apr 14, 2009
    Well, i just saw the episode where Tasha Yar dies, and i must say that i did not see that coming.

seto1

[19]Apr 14, 2009
    Darn it why did you make me remember,tasha!! you will always be within our hearts.No one expected that death but all the star treks like killing off main characters,this started with spock.

lazyjay

[20]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 30
    OK, pick up your stones, I'm ready.

I wasn't that upset by Tasha Yar's death. I just could never really connect or identify with her and she didn't seem to bring anything special to the crew (in my eyes). But as to the manner of her death... it always seemed kind of weak to have a main character taken out by an evil tar monster. But maybe that was the point, to highlight how senseless it was. It probably would have been more poignant to me if I had cared more about the character.