TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Wesley and Starfleet Academy

puzzlingpixie

[1]Feb 17, 2008
    • level: 12

Does anyone remember the episode where Wesley is competing against a bunch of other kids to get acceptance into Starfleet Academy? There each are tested in a variety of things and in the end have to overcome a challenge that is unique to them. Anyway, that's not my point, in the end, they are only allowed to choose one candidate. This begs the question, why do they only allow one person entry to the academy? Was this a plot hole constructed to keep Wesley on the ship and in the series, because it seems that every time he tries to leave something happens. (For example, he is supposed to leave again, but the ship that takes the cadettes won't wait for him, but he's just solved this great mystery of communication through morse code in the comm fuzz and can't leave just then.) Anyone have any comments to help clear it up, am I remembering the circumstances wrong?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lennydonkey

[2]Feb 17, 2008

I think your probably right about it being a plot contrivance to keep Wesley aboard the ship. Because it certainly seems odd to be testing so thoroughly, while admitting so few. It's also strange that he could have gotten been admitted in that episode, but he ended up really going something like 5 years later. How old are Starfleet cadets?

Maybe we could explain it away in our heads, and completely non-cannon, by figuring the events it that ep were for one specific admission slot for a unique case. Like a prodigy scholarship or something.

puzzlingpixie

[3]Feb 17, 2008
    That was the only loop hole I could think of too, but in the end he gets promoted without going to school anyway so I guess it didn't really matter if he actually 'went' to school for it.

skeeter291

[4]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 60
    The episode that your thinking of in the first part of your question is Coming of Age . The planet (Relva 7) has only one more slot for an Academy Cadet, so thats why Wes didn't make it that time. But your right about the other times he never got a chance to go. It was just to keep him on the show.

lennydonkey

[5]Feb 18, 2008

skeeter291 wrote:
    The episode that your thinking of in the first part of your question is Coming of Age . The planet (Relva 7) has only one more slot for an Academy Cadet, so thats why Wes didn't make it that time. But your right about the other times he never got a chance to go. It was just to keep him on the show.

Well now I feel bad for some poor Relvian kid who wanted to go the the academy, but suddenly had to compete against Humans, Benzites and others. Couldn't they have gotten in on their own planets slots? And for that matter why are they allotting slots per planet? Let's just let in qualified candidates regardless of planet of origin. Quite a can of worms this opened.

puzzlingpixie

[6]Feb 18, 2008
    lennydonkey wrote:

skeeter291 wrote:

Well now I feel bad for some poor Relvian kid who wanted to go the the academy, but suddenly had to compete against Humans, Benzites and others. Couldn't they have gotten in on their own planets slots? And for that matter why are they allotting slots per planet? Let's just let in qualified candidates regardless of planet of origin. Quite a can of worms this opened.

Ooh, now I feel proud that I may have started something. haha, just kidding. Thank you skeeter291 for figuring that out for me.

locke-ness

[7]Apr 7, 2008
    • level: 11
    It was an important charcater arc for Wesley -- personal ambition vs. duty. He was drawn to service (which is why he wanted to go to Starfleet Academy) but going to the Academy was his own ambition. When he was really needed he had to choose between what he wanted to do (the Academy) and what he needed to do (the crisis of the moment).

It was a good dynamic.

[8]May 6, 2008
    • level: 21
    They recently showed that episode on Virgin 1. I remember thinking if these four are so good why have the contest - surely they should all go?!

However, it could very well be that places at Starfleet Academy are so limited or filled so quickly (like tickets to The Who concerts) that they need to filter out only the very best through this process. We have to remember that Starfleet has a recruitment pool of x billions of people from which they probably take a few thousand a year! That seems logical to me.

However, Wesley does eventually go to ST academy as we see in The First Duty (see link) only to go off the rails!

http://www.tv.com/star-trek-the-next-generation/the-first-duty/episode/19105/summary.html

bringbacklefler

[9]Sep 14, 2008
    • level: 1
    how is it that Wesley had so much trouble at Starfleet Academy? He seemed to know Enterprise systems backwards including navigation, weapons, warp core, junction box's, relays, chain of command, starfleet life and policys, piloting and whatever else. If he had trouble then how did everyone else get through?