What exactly is Troi's purpose on the ship?

macadamwest

[1]Apr 17, 2007
    • level: 3

OK, I don't mean to sound callous but I've seen a few episodes of ST TNG just getting into ST but I can not for the life of me figure out what Deanna Troi's purpose is on the ship (the one with the long black hair, is that her name?) I mean I can understand Dr. Crusher, Geordi, Data, everyone else on the bridge but not hers.

Can someone please help me with this?

Thank you!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Tronman100

[2]Apr 18, 2007
    • level: 11
    She's the ship's resident councilor/psychiatrist/therapist. She's also an Empath, meaning that she can sense the presence and emotions of those around here, which helps in her duties. She's also serves as the ships generic insert-victim-here wherever it's called for in the plot.

ko-9

[3]Apr 21, 2007
    • level: 5
    Q: How did councillor Troi know what you got for christmas?

A: She felt your presents.

macadamwest

[4]Apr 21, 2007

*groan* that may have to go under the worst joke ever category! ROFLMAO

But that was funny!

darkthunder84

[5]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 7
    Here's a better question. Since Deanna Troi holds the rank of Lt. Commander (Commander in one of the later seasons), and thus has an official position on the ship. Why is she rarely (if ever) in Uniform? She always has leisure clothing, despite technically being on duty.

Captain Jellico in the "Chain of Command" 2-parter actually had things right, in that she should wear her uniform while on duty (and on the bridge).

Tronman100

[6]Apr 26, 2007
    • level: 11
    Perhaps another question aside from that is why OTHER officers don't ware the more leisure style uniforms (on duty) more other if Deanna is allowed to?

seto1

[7]Apr 30, 2007
    • level: 16

thats true but i think picard grANTS HERalot of slack given ur abilities

lobomensch

[8]May 2, 2007
    • level: 51
    And cleavage.

teknodave

[9]May 2, 2007
    • level: 23
    I think that since she was the Counselor on board the ship, she wore the other outfits to make her patients feel more comfortable when she was providing therapy.  In Season 7 after Jellico made her wear the "space suit" as the actors have called them, she still wears it when she is in her office, but wears the uniform on the bridge.

Choppercrazy

[10]Jul 8, 2008
    • level: 2
    Let's not forget she was also there to keep Lt. Barclay sane giggle

lazyjay

[11]Jul 8, 2008
    • level: 30
    She was, in my opinion, the least necessary character on the bridge. But, she did provide several useful plot points with her ability to "feel great... PAIN!".

Also, like her successors, 7 of 9 and T'pol, she filled out the costume. Which leaves me wondering... why wasn't there a similar costume to fill on DS9?

{edit}Wow. Please forgive my base comments, I don't know where they came from. It must be a combination of beer, the late hour and my general cynicism. I'll try to rein it in in the future. (but my first 2 sentences still apply.){/edit}
    Edited on 07/08/2008 2:05am
    Edited 2 total times.

ColonelCurt

[12]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 15
    For the majority of the show, Troi didn't actually order anybody around or seem to have an official place in the Chain of Command. As far as I know, the first episode where her official rank is mentioned (Lt. Com.) is in Disaster (5x05) when she is trapped on the bridge and O'brien says she's senior. Later, theres an episode where she needs to take some sort of official Test to be a bridge officer (something about being able to order a friend to their death). There's still no denying that she's by FAR the most useless character on TNG and should never be in command of the ship (she proves in Disaster that she has NO idea what she's doing).

[13]Jul 21, 2008
    • level: 21
    Her real purpose was to be the voice of reason. Each major character has a major role given a human discipline. Each has their own traits, part of being human

Picard is the diplomatic/decision maker. Riker, the rash combative lover. Data the knowledgeable but curious one with superstrength and abilities. Geordi was the creative thinker, engineer with relationship problems. Bevs is the healer and the love interest for Picard. While Worf was the trouble loner, strong warrior misfit.

Troi should have been more like the mother figure or at least shared it with Bevs, but it never quite happened. Alot of it probably due to the fact that she should have been the listener and conflict resolver that Guinan turned out to be.

Because of her empathic abilities she gave us some one with extra-human powers, together with Geordi (vision) and Data (strength and processing power) fit the bill of what Spock game the TOS, something not quite human.

Well thats how I tend to think of it. Each had their role in the TNG family with Picard at the head as it were.

I think betwen Geordi, Troi and Dr. Bevs they had the worst main plot threads in episodes built around the main characters.

earthpeople

[14]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 12

You can blame the show's creators for your perception. There was plenty of story potential in Troi's character. Think about it: you've got a thousand people on a starship that is constantly on long missions into the unknown, often threatened by malicious species. That kind of stress could drive some people over the edge, which is why it's a good idea to have a psychiatric counselor on board. But we got very few situations like this in the series, and Troi was never the authoritative figure the position called for. Instead, they just used her pretty much as eye candy. Too bad, because this flies directly in the face of one of the primary premises of the Trek universe, namely that men and women are equal and are valued for their expertise, not their looks.

Freakshowcrow

[15]Sep 3, 2008
    "You're all blank to me!" LOL

princessFirefly

[16]Sep 8, 2008
    • level: 4
    to play the (un) sexy, dumb (blonde)!!!!