TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

What is Star Fleet's real purpose

belial_77

[1]Oct 5, 2007
    • level: 17
    Military or Exploration? is it more like NASA or the Navy? I mean sometimes it seems one way, then the other... I imagine Roddenberry was hoping NASA... but I think some of the stories where its more like the Navy seem better suited... like "Chain of Command" or "The Pegasus"... in my opinion.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lennydonkey

[2]Oct 6, 2007
    • level: 12
    I think it helps to know "Star Fleet" and the "Federation" aren't the same thing. The Enterprise in Enterprise was definitely part of Starfleet and pre-dated the foundation of the Federation. So at Starfleet's origin I think it was definately more military. By TNG I think it was more exploration minded, but with military undertones.

Tronman100

[3]Oct 6, 2007
    • level: 11
    It's for both exploration and defense (military) purposes.

belial_77

[4]Oct 6, 2007
    • level: 17
    Yeah I know the dif between Fed and Fleet... but the NX-01 was an exploration vessel that was forced into playing a military role... but i dunno... the Navy aspect seems more real to me... after all, how many space probe and shuttles do we have with guns and missiles, just in case?

lennydonkey

[5]Oct 6, 2007
    • level: 12

belial_77 wrote:
    Yeah I know the dif between Fed and Fleet...

I figured you would. I just thought some people out there might not relize there's a distinction.

I think Starfleet is offically the military of the federation, but since the primary mission of the federation is peacful exploration Starfleet grew to reflect that. Kind of like if the Army Corps of Engineers became the largest branch of the military.

seto1

[6]Oct 8, 2007
    • level: 16
    OK for most its kinda confusing but let me try to explain star fleet has its origins on earth where it was meant to be a military organization with the aim of acquiring alien technology and befriending other advance cultures however as timed pasted and the federation was formed these goals or orders were gradually changed to a more diplomatic and people serving mission,which is is the exploring of space ect

WyldStallyyn

[7]Oct 9, 2007
    • level: 2
    Its both. By the 24th century, there is little need for a military, so the Enterprise and the other starships are engaged primarily in exploration. But when something threatens the Federation (like the Borg), the starships can be easily mobilized and put into action.

Scorptilicus

[8]Oct 17, 2007
    • level: 9
    belial_77 wrote:
    Yeah I know the dif between Fed and Fleet... but the NX-01 was an exploration vessel that was forced into playing a military role... but i dunno... the Navy aspect seems more real to me... after all, how many space probe and shuttles do we have with guns and missiles, just in case?

Yeah, but when the NX-01 was launched, they knew that there were many alien races out there, some hostile. We, however, don't have any proof that alien life exists, hostile or otherwise.

GodEmperorJason

[9]Dec 1, 2008
    • level: 4
    Starfleet is a dual purpose organization, but in terms of organizational structure I think it is more like the navy, which is probably necessary for the military role to work. I also tend to notice that a lot of the science that seems to be done is through private scientists who seem supported but not employed by starfleet. I imagine starfleets ships pave the way (explore and secure) and then the professional scientists set up a colony or station and continue from there, and starfleet supports them with supplies, etc.

seto1

[10]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 16
    What i have found strange was that a new organisation wasnt created by the federation to be its exploratory and military branch.At present Earth is basically the main controlling force of starfleet with the hundreds of planets in the federation i think a more shared star program should have been addressed.