Which Season?

Shagy1711

[1]Jan 31, 2006
    • level: 1
    I have never been into Star Trek until I started watching it G4tv. I was thinking of picking up one of the seaon box sets but don't know which one. I might get season 3 but was wondering what other ones are good?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

davies78

[2]Jan 31, 2006
    • level: 7
    good question i would say start at the beginNing.But my favorite series are THREE AND FOUR

AlanShore

[3]Feb 4, 2006
    • level: 3
    Start at the beginning, but beware: The first two seasons are very inconsistent with quality. There are good episodes among the crap, but they are few and far between.

The third season was when they got their act together, IMHO.

LithiumAngel420

[4]Feb 5, 2006
    • level: 4
    I agree with these guys, the beginning is the logical place to start. HOWEVER... if you have been watching on G4 then you are in the third season now. Anything from season 3 on is good and - for the most part - only gets better. If I were to reccomend a specific season, though, I would say season 4... it had some really great episodes:
    Brothers
    Remember Me
    Future Imperfect
    The Loss (a great chance for Marina to stretch her legs)
    The Host (a good one for Gates)

...but, of course, they're all good or the show wouldn't be on 6 times a day! lol

LithiumAngel420

[5]Feb 5, 2006
    • level: 4
    By the way, I am SO glad to see that peoeple are still discovering the show. Welcome to the Star Trek family!

JemHadar359

[6]Apr 15, 2007
    • level: 6
    The last three seasons are the seasons that got me into TNG but they're all good.

pjhasham

[7]Apr 22, 2007
    • level: 17
    It's best to start at the start, because the best episodes all lead back to the start. For example, The Best of both worlds follows on from the first four Q episodes, including the two-part first episode. However, there are several in the first season that can be safely ignored, for example, Home Soil, When the Bough Breaks, Code of Honour, etc.

darkthunder84

[8]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 7
    Hands down, the best 2-parter during TNG has got to be "Best of Both Worlds". The introduction of the Borg as an actual threat to the Federation (prior to them being lamed down, during Voyager's run).

Overall, the Trek series after TOS (TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT)... all of them had "decent" episodes in the first 2-3 seasons, but around season 3-4 they all got better. Despite what many think about the "ENTERPRISE" series, it's quality had improved drastically during Season 4, and if the network would have allowed it, I think it would have run the full 7 years without problem. Bringing in a fresh guy to run the show was the right choice (Manny Coto all the way...).

kjriisne

[9]May 10, 2007
    • level: 2
    I have just gotten into Star Trek, and have just finished Season 1 and 2 of TNG, and what strikes me is the difference between the episodes, like you say, alot are crap, like all those episodes when Jean-Luc is playing detective on the holodeck, extremely boring episodes, although Data can be hilarious on some occasions. Hoping to see better episodes in the upcoming seasons because I'm ready to become an full out trekkie

NilesCranePhD

[10]May 18, 2007
    • level: 3

I would agree with many others that Season 4 would be a good place to start.  It has many many quality episodes, including

Best of Both Worlds Part 2
    Clues
    First Contact
    Night Terrors
    QPid (which may have the funniest line in the entire series)

There are many other good episodes, but these are some good ones.  However, I feel Season 7 is also a very good and complete season.  Just me though.

pjhasham

[11]May 20, 2007
    Which is the funniest line of the series in QPid? Is it Worf's "I protest!  I am not a merry man!"

jrsgalaxy

[12]Jun 25, 2007
    • level: 14

pjhasham wrote:
    Which is the funniest line of the series in QPid? Is it Worf's "I protest! I am not a merry man!"

While I believe Season 3 and 4 are excellent seasons the only problem i see with that is they also have fine two parters that you would need to buy seasons 3thru 5 to complete it. For my money I believe season 5 is an excellent season . it has fine episodes Like Darmok, Ensign Ro, the inner light , The Next phase , Cause and Effect ,Disaster, New Ground, 'The masterpiece society, Conundrum Ethics , Power Play, The first Duty, Also has episodes you can ignore like I, Borg, Cost of living, among others. And it does have a two parter season finale that is resolved in season 6 times arrow pt II. But although interesting at first it just degrades in quality as is progresses. It felt like a episode filler. so you wouldnt have to worry about bying season 6 so you can also ignore that episode. and oh yeah starting at the beginning is the logical choice . but dont have to.Ahh "Eyes Open"!!

trekgirldana

[13]Jun 26, 2007
    • level: 2

davies78 wrote:
    good question i would say start at the beginNing.But my favorite series are THREE AND FOUR

I completely agree. Besides, I have always felt that Season One is underrated. But Seasons Three and Four are my faves!

fire26bee

[14]Jul 5, 2007
    • level: 9
    I would start at the beginning as I did...I've finished the first four seasons, and have seen some dynamite episodes including ``Best of Both Worlds,'' and I thoroughly enjoyed the one I just watched last night ``Darmok'' because I remember having seen that with a good friend one night at her apartment. It had been years since I'd seen that one. What a great episode, and so very interesting. To all non-Trekkies, get yourselves some TNG and watch it!

thedirtyberk

[15]Jul 16, 2007
    • level: 5

fire26bee wrote:
    To all non-Trekkies, get yourselves some TNG and watch it!

Indeed! If the best TNG episodes can't make you like Star Trek, then there's probably something wrong with you.

I agree with everyone who says if you really want to get down with TNG you should begin at the beginning... While most episodes are fairly well self-contained in this -- the best of all ST series -- a bit of history and context always makes them better. I think season 1 has some great early episodes, too. They may lack polish, but there's more actual "SF wonder" in some of those. Also, Season 2 had... well, at least it had Measure of a Man...

However, if you were going to make me choose one season, I'd go with Season 5. Seasons 3 and 4 are absolutely classic, but season 5 took a few more chances and had a little bit of everything. Seasons 6 and 7 are awesome, too, but some of the episodes don't carry as much weight if you haven't seen the previous 5 years.

jrsgalaxy

[16]Jul 16, 2007
    [QUOTE="thedirtyberk"]

[QUOTE="fire26beeHowever, if you were going to make me choose one season, I'd go with Season 5. touche

pjhasham

[17]Jul 16, 2007
    jrsgalaxy wrote:

pjhasham wrote:
    Which is the funniest line of the series in QPid? Is it Worf's "I protest! I am not a merry man!"

While I believe Season 3 and 4 are excellent seasons the only problem i see with that is they also have fine two parters that you would need to buy seasons 3thru 5 to complete it. For my money I believe season 5 is an excellent season . it has fine episodes Like Darmok, Ensign Ro, the inner light , The Next phase , Cause and Effect ,Disaster, New Ground, 'The masterpiece society, Conundrum Ethics , Power Play, The first Duty, Also has episodes you can ignore like I, Borg, Cost of living, among others. And it does have a two parter season finale that is resolved in season 6 times arrow pt II. But although interesting at first it just degrades in quality as is progresses. It felt like a episode filler. so you wouldnt have to worry about bying season 6 so you can also ignore that episode. and oh yeah starting at the beginning is the logical choice . but dont have to.Ahh "Eyes Open"!!

Don't quote me if you're not answering the question.

And with Times Arrow you do have to watch both parts to understand any of it. It was one of the best time travel stories they ever did.

sporkman5353

[18]Jul 16, 2007
    • level: 18
    pjhasham wrote:
    jrsgalaxy wrote:

pjhasham wrote:

Don't quote me if you're not answering the question.

And with Times Arrow you do have to watch both parts to understand any of it. It was one of the best time travel stories they ever did.

I like season 6

jrsgalaxy

[19]Jul 30, 2007
    [>Don't quote me if you're not answering the question.

[/QUOTE]

I like season 6

[/QUOTE] wow that was pretty cold.. i thought we were all trekkers here and above all this petty thinking

jrsgalaxy

[20]Jul 30, 2007
    [>Don't quote me if you're not answering the question.

[/QUOTE]

I like season 6

[/QUOTE] wow that was pretty cold.. i thought we were all trekkers here and above all this petty thinking