Why do the borg keep having trouble assimilating earth?

Richiebcfc25

[1]Aug 7, 2007
    • level: 47

Why do the borg keep having trouble assimilating earth?

i mean this because all they ever do is send one borg cube to earth and they always find a way to destroy it

if the borg had any sense they could easily take over earth if they sent more cubes becuase then the federation woundnt stand a chance and earth would be borg

they seem to do this to other worlds but not earth where is the sense in that

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alex20020712

[2]Aug 7, 2007
    • level: 7
    Indeed. I suspect the only reason they have not done that so far, is they take the path of least resistance. The Borg are not interested in territorial conquest, and they do not have strong emotions. They are only interested in assimilating other cultures' technology, and they are not in a rush. They have no particular interest in assimilating "Earth" by any particular date.

The queen gave them too much personality. I preferred the faceless, completely impersonal collective, the constantly adaptive, practically unstoppable threat.

Tronman100

[3]Aug 7, 2007
    • level: 11
    I've always wondered this too, after all, they have been known to go after other civilizations "in force". Arturis from VOY:Hope And Fear comes to mind when he said they sent hundreds of cubes to his world.

Don't you also find it a little strange that, in First Contact, Picard didn't tell anyone focus their fire on the cube's "weak spot" (i.e. the spot which caused the cube's destruction when they all concentrated their fire on it) until after he got there? You think Starfleet could have used that information sooner! However, maybe it's different on each cube and he had to be near the cube to know where to strike.

jrsgalaxy

[4]Aug 10, 2007
    • level: 14
    Tronman100 wrote:
    However, maybe it's different on each cube and he had to be near the cube to know where to strike.

yeah i suspect he had to be near enough to have a strong enough link where he could or they could get inside his head enough to sense that weakness.

jrsgalaxy

[5]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 14
    [QUOTE="Tronman100"] Arturis from VOY:Hope And Fear comes to mind when he said they sent hundreds of cubes to his world.

Perhaps the reason they sent so many cubes to Arturis's world and only one cube to Earth was they thought Arturis race was very advanced mentally and technologically. they could after all sort out things and restore order where others saw chaos. They were gifted in figuring out patterns. So the Borg thought they needed that many ships to defeat his race as they were very gifted and talented. They might have perceived them that big of a threat to need so many cubes in order to defeat them. Remember the Borg strive to be as efficient as possible, so sending one cube to Earth implies that they thought that was all that was needed to defeat the Federation. In less than a minute they had killed 96 starfleet officers on the Lexington. Had it not been for Picard intervening they might very well have succeeded.

Richiebcfc25

[6]Aug 22, 2007

in the episode Q WHO Guinan says the borg only attack in force and that they never do anything piecemeal also she says they swarmed through her system so they must have attacked in numbers

the thing is basic military tactics decry that you attack with superior numbers then your enemy and the thing is in the episode best of both worlds they only sent one borg cube why didnt the borg learn from that experience and send more cubes in the movie first contact

i suppose if the borg did attack in large numbers the federation would be borg and star trek would end as we know it

alex20020712

[7]Aug 22, 2007
    Richiebcfc25 wrote:
    the thing is basic military tactics decry that you attack with superior numbers then your enemy and the thing is in the episode best of both worlds they only sent one borg cube why didnt the borg learn from that experience and send more cubes in the movie first contact

The Borg do not use basic military tactics. There are no generals, no admirals, no promotions. Nothing. They just assimilate other cultures' technology.

Like I said before, what is their rush in assimilating Earth/the Federation? They can take all the time they want. If a species resists too strongly, they can simply move on to an easier one and then come back.

Richiebcfc25

[8]Aug 23, 2007

i guess my point is this the borg queen obviously has a big interest in earth why would she assilmilate picard and ask 7 of 9 to come back but she doesnt seem to want to go after earth in a big way surely she must know how big a threat the federation is to the borg i mean they had defeated them twice and got away from them on many times you say the borg has no generals but with the hive mind of having a queen then she knows about humanity and if she had any sense she would assimilate it and destroy it at the first possible chance she had

i do believe though that star trek TNG made a big mistake humanising the borg by giving it a leader in the queen instead they should have left the borg as a amoral single thinking killing and asimilatiing machine which IMO made them more scarier.

alex20020712

[9]Aug 23, 2007
    Richiebcfc25 wrote:
    i do believe though that star trek TNG made a big mistake humanising the borg by giving it a leader in the queen instead they should have left the borg as a amoral single thinking killing and asimilatiing machine which IMO made them more scarier.

Exactly. They made her and the Borg too human.

Mikoto_sohma

[10]Aug 25, 2007
    • level: 4
    but I suppose theborg queen seeming too human was a nice thing. I mean, it all cam from her so she's like..the early model.
    Look at her, she doesn't even have the eye implants! She's so smooth and human-looking and she doesn't have that many circuits while the usual borg look like they're a science eperiment gone wrong...>.>

alex20020712

[11]Aug 27, 2007
    Mikoto_sohma wrote:
    but I suppose theborg queen seeming too human was a nice thing. I mean, it all cam from her so she's like..the early model.

That is the point, everything did not come from her. The Borg evolved slowly as a species.

Mikoto_sohma

[12]Aug 27, 2007
    • level: 4
    but we must admit she's not one of the "latest" or anything and she's not just any borg either.

Now think of it this way though, the borg are computers and act by one common collective now the pure center of that is the queen so she's like the USER of the computer.

lyghthouse

[13]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 8
    alex20020712 wrote:
    Mikoto_sohma wrote:

That is the point, everything did not come from her. The Borg evolved slowly as a species.

I'm a bit confused on how exactly the borg came to be... My understanding is it was a sentient space probe, of sorts, that eventually became the borg... Does anyone have more insight?

rickyn2

[14]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 22
    I think they were just normal humanoids, who learnt to replace bits that wear out with mechanical parts.
    Edited on 08/28/2007 12:23pm

Richiebcfc25

[15]Aug 28, 2007
    i think the borg came about by a sentient made nano virus which infected them and turned them all into mechanical zombies and they just evolved from there

thedirtyberk

[16]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 5

I don't have any references or quotes at the moment to back this up, but I believe I've seen several (if not many) ST episodes where either a single Borg, the Borg Queen, or the collective said something to the effect of:

"We were imperfect like you [humans] once. But, we overcame our flaws and incorporated perfection [artificial intelligence, mechanical adaptions] into our being. Once we were able to transcend our individuality and personal faults, we evolved into something greater."

Again, this is a paraphrase, but I think this is the most commonly represented idea in episodes of the Borg's evolutionary origins... A humanoid species that learned to use technology and (eventually) assimilation to enhance their species as whole... with the ultimate goal being a perfect, collective being. By absorbing the "Best of Both Worlds" -- technology and the collective traits of multiple species -- they hoped to become something greater than they were.

Tronman100

[17]Aug 29, 2007
    • level: 11
    It was in First Contact. She said "We evolved to include the synthetic". So yes, they likely started as a humanoid species. Now THERE would be a good story for a novel or series.

Richiebcfc25

[18]Aug 30, 2007
    i think they should make a movie where they show the federation FINALLY defeating the borg once and for all

sporkman5353

[19]Sep 1, 2007
    • level: 18

Richiebcfc25 wrote:
    i think they should make a movie where they show the federation FINALLY defeating the borg once and for all

Endgame was close enough to that, btw the borgs origin was told in the star trek manga.

lyghthouse

[20]Sep 1, 2007
    • level: 8
    Thank you guys, for your thoughts on the origin of the Borg!