Why do the borg keep having trouble assimilating earth?

hardthinker

[21]Sep 2, 2007
    • level: 25
    I suspect the main reason is that Star Trek is written on planet Earth, and having a storyline that destroys your home planet is just depressing. ;-)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Richiebcfc25

[22]Sep 2, 2007
    • level: 47

it would also be a very short TV series if all the good guys was assilmilated

i guess i must stop being pedantic but hey that is what fans forums are all about

belial_77

[23]Sep 20, 2007
    • level: 17

I don't think there is really just one borg queen... or even really a true borg queen... she's replaced easily if she's destroyed... i think its like the Cyber-Controllers of the Cybermen... all pertinent files are downloaded into the new body... then they basically become the server for all the drones who connect in a node... mostly she is just a sub-routine used to ease the flow of information through the collective... to direct the right information to the right drone... as for a physical form... as they ran across re-occurring enemies they felt in order to interact with the enemy for interrogation or for "negotiation" purposes...

as for seven representing the Borg desire for Earth... I thought the whole idea was that the collective formed a group of modified drones to different races that were being stubborn about assimilated and being turned into Cybermen (i mean Borg)... these drones would collect information that normal tactics couldn't such as motives, mindset, as well as tactical weaknesses of the assigned species...

seto1

[24]Sep 20, 2007
    • level: 16
    I think the Borg never use full force on earth because they someone underestimate the federations full power and overestimate their own,but that has worked in Picards favor

thedirtyberk

[25]Sep 20, 2007
    • level: 5

There are many great answers that have been proposed on this forum. As trite as it may be, the bottom line in the ST universe is that the Borg cannot assimilate Earth because of any or all of the reasons that have been mentioned. The whole point is this:

Despite the efforts they may make to constantly outwit us, we are Human Beings. We will fight to the last to defend ourselves and each other. No matter what means you may employ to overcome us, our individuality AND collective sense of morality, consciousness, and intelligence WILL overcome you.

Come on, folks. There's no other reason for the Borg's failure other than this: In the future we become A BETTER COLLECTIVE THAN THE BORG.

Isn't that essentially the whole point of Star Trek, in general? ... We don't need the implants and the loss of individuality to become a collective of immense power AND compassion. That's why we defeat the Borg every time. We can (and should) debate the merits and demerits of plot devices, technology, etc. as fans, but we all know why the Borg can't defeat Earth... It's because of US.

I know it's the idealistic, altruistic answer. It's also the Hollywood answer to explain away plot holes, etc. But, it's also the reason anyone who loves Star Trek continues to love Star Trek... and (I believe) why Roddenberry envisioned this series... and why it will continue to make money and capture our hearts and minds.

We all believe that deep down, don't we? That WE are the superior collective... if we all just got our hubristic, selfish heads on straight, this species would be alright? Isn't that why we dream along with them... out there in the stars, in the future, where we know things will be different...?

Edited on 09/20/2007 9:59pm

Richiebcfc25

[26]Sep 21, 2007

Your right WE HUMANS RULE THE GALAXY!!!

BRING IT ON BORG, FERENGI, KLINGONS, CARDASSIANS, KAZONS!!

pjhasham

[27]Sep 24, 2007
    I think there were fairly specific reasons for each of the Borgs' defeats at Earth - in the first one, Picard was recaptured and they used him to send the Borg to sleep. And Picard's experience was used to find a weak point in the second one. But I'm not sure why they didn't just send a second cube the minute they realised the second one had been destroyed. It can't be because they were aware of Picard's connection, because then they would have waited until they believed him to be dead.

Richiebcfc25

[28]Sep 24, 2007

the thing is borg has one consciousness when they decided to attack earth the whole borg consciousness must have been concentrated on earth so why didnt they send more cubes when the first failed.

but as i pointed out also it would be a short tv series if the earth and the federation was assimilated

belial_77

[29]Sep 24, 2007
    Richiebcfc25 wrote:

the thing is borg has one consciousness when they decided to attack earth the whole borg consciousness must have been concentrated on earth so why didnt they send more cubes when the first failed.

but as i pointed out also it would be a short tv series if the earth and the federation was assimilated

No it wouldn't! we'd just have Star Trek: Borg... In which you still follow Picard, Ricker, etc... as they assimilate new life and new civilizations!

Richiebcfc25

[30]Sep 24, 2007
    thats actually quite a good idea for a new star trek show

lazyjay

[31]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 30
    belial_77 wrote:
    Richiebcfc25 wrote:

No it wouldn't! we'd just have Star Trek: Borg... In which you still follow Picard, Ricker, etc... as they assimilate new life and new civilizations!

LOL - To Borgly go where no drone has gone before.

seto1

[32]Sep 27, 2007
    • level: 16
    Space the final frontier
    These are the journeys of the Borg space cruiser 1785 of the on its continuing mission to assimilate new life and civilizations and absorb their uniqueness and grow stronger .Theme song la la la la

pjhasham

[33]Sep 27, 2007

seto1 wrote:
    Space the final frontier These are the journeys of the Borg space cruiser 1785 of the on its continuing mission to assimilate new life and civilizations and absorb their uniqueness and grow stronger .Theme song la la la la

lol How would that sound in a Borg accent?!

Richiebcfc25

[34]Sep 27, 2007

we could argue for years who was the best borg captain 7 of15 or 2 of 12

oh what fun we could have

jrsgalaxy

[35]Oct 4, 2007
    • level: 14
    pjhasham wrote:

seto1 wrote:
    Space the final frontier These are the journeys of the Borg space cruiser 1785 of the on its continuing mission to assimilate new life and civilizations and absorb their uniqueness and grow stronger .Theme song la la la la

lol How would that sound in a Borg accent?!

Man they shouldve done a one shot episode like that a la Enterprise Mirror Darkly episode complete with a Borg intro.

iamralphiam

[36]Oct 5, 2007
    • level: 6
    thedirtyberk wrote:
    We all believe that deep down, don't we? That WE are the superior collective... if we all just got our hubristic, selfish heads on straight, this species would be alright? Isn't that why we dream along with them... out there in the stars, in the future, where we know things will be different...?

Ahhh the arrogance... too bad in reality the reverse is true, now why hasn't any sci-fi incorporated that into a show where human arrogance defeats us.....

MattRker

[37]Oct 18, 2007
    • level: 1
    The main reason the Borg have been spectacularly unsuccessful in assimilating earth is the humans they come up against have always been more resolved and unwilling to surrender. Oh and as for human arrogance, I for one do not believe I am part of a superior collective. So don't try and speak for the human race as a whole.

GodEmperorJason

[38]Dec 1, 2008
    • level: 4
    I try to imagine the Borg Queen almost like an Agent from the Matrix. I think she is a contruct of the collective and to call her Queen gives an improper sense of a leader in command, I try to imagine the queen as a personification of the collective, her orders just a vocalized version of the same collective consciousness that drives all drones. As for why they can't assimilate earth, I think that it has to do with most worlds where they swarmed being closer to Borg space, the Borg are still exploring the Alpha Quadrant, and so I think the day will come but for now I think they will gain territory closer to their existing space, territory easier to hold and maintain.

jrsgalaxy

[39]Dec 1, 2008
    • level: 14
    They just need to send an Armada of Borg Cubes and Spheres maybe like a thousand instead of just a couple or one and they should have no trouble in assimilating Earth...Not even Picard could destroy a thousand Borg vessels...he'd be shaking in his coveralls while B4 would be calculating the odds of defeating them would be a trillion to one...

pharoahsdance

[40]Dec 6, 2008

The guy who gave this answer is right - because that would have been the end of the series and its ability to generate money.

Edited on 12/06/2008 8:13am