Worst Episode?

AlanShore

[1]Dec 24, 2005
    • level: 3
    What's your pick for the worst episode of TNG?

I don't like "Sub Rosa" myself (it was "Sub Par"), but all of the Crusher-centered episodes (without Picard) seemed below average.

"Shades of Grey" was also pretty crappy.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kortleve

[2]Dec 25, 2005
    • level: 6
    Shades of Grey? was that when Riker got infected with something & had all these flashbacks?
    Flashback episodes tend to do bad.

Symbiosis I don't like. Just tell them for goodness sakes!

kirke_novak

[3]Dec 26, 2005
    • level: 9
    Aquiel.
    Oh Holy Zarquon! Was it BAD or what? Probably the most iritating episode EVER.

lobomensch

[4]Dec 26, 2005
    • level: 51
    Most of the Troi-centered eps. were the really bad ones. As far as the worst went, would have to say a two-way tie between "Night Terrors" and "Man Of The People."

AlanShore

[5]Dec 26, 2005
    kortleve wrote:
    Shades of Grey? was that when Riker got infected with something & had all these flashbacks?
    Flashback episodes tend to do bad.

Symbiosis I don't like. Just tell them for goodness sakes!

Yeah, that's "Shades of Grey". They might as well shoot all copies of that episode into deep space, because it has no bearing on the continuity of the series. That was their only flashback show, and I think they learned from the experience.

"Symbiosis"...was that the one with the prescription drug war? That's one of the few I haven't seen.

CaptAdama

[6]Dec 27, 2005
    Sub Rosa was terrible. Probably my least favorite episode.

cyndia1968

[7]Dec 29, 2005
    • level: 1
    lobomensch wrote:
    Most of the Troi-centered eps. were the really bad ones. As far as the worst went, would have to say a two-way tie between "Night Terrors" and "Man Of The People."

Oh man... "Night Terrors" is one of my favorites!

I would have to say "Shades of Grey" was the absolute worst. Never really crazy about "The Chase" either.

CaptAdama

[8]Dec 30, 2005
    cyndia1968 wrote:
    lobomensch wrote:

I would have to say "Shades of Grey" was the absolute worst. Never really crazy about "The Chase" either.

The Chase was a fun episode, although, it did seem like a cop out on how to explain that all of the aliens look like humans.

Shades of Grey was awful. Nothing redeemable about that episode.

AlanShore

[9]Dec 30, 2005
    "The Chase" was fun. It had Norman Lloyd (from "St. Elsewhere") in it.

lobomensch

[10]Dec 31, 2005
    cyndia1968 wrote:
    lobomensch wrote:

Sorry, Cyndia, but seeing the Boinking Betazoid floating around the void like a marionette, with the camera almost blocked by her padded bottom, warbling out "Where are you," is still one of the more nausea-inducing moments of the series.
    "The Chase" at least gave some explanation for the abundance of humanoid-based species in Trek and "Shades Of Grey" didn't really have any worse scenes than the like of Deanna in "Man Of The People," running around Ten Forward with gray highlights in her hair, throwing a hissy-fit in that shrill voice.

chiko68

[11]Jan 2, 2006
    • level: 8
    I would have to say that "The Outcast" was the worst. I just don't think that that show was done well, even though the subject of homosexuality was tough subject to begin with. It seemed like the actors were "acting" strange, so I just couldn't get into the show. I don't think that I have sat through the whole show(but I have seen all of it, just not at one time).

port5170

[12]Jan 2, 2006
    • level: 12
    I love this show.. but Shades of Grey just was not Good..
    overall I can't complain too much most were good to great episodes

cyndia1968

[13]Jan 3, 2006
    lobomensch wrote:

Sorry, Cyndia, but seeing the Boinking Betazoid floating around the void like a marionette, with the camera almost blocked by her padded bottom, warbling out "Where are you," is still one of the more nausea-inducing moments of the series.

I loved it for the creep factor. I think the best was Crusher's hallucination in the morgue (with the corpses suddenly sitting up... gives me the willies every time I see it). Also the others' hallucinations -- strange noises, paranoia -- added to that as well. And all caused by something as simple as lack of R.E.M. (which is very real and has been proven) Very good premise, IMO. Personally, I didn't pay much attention to Troi's backside. I was too caught up in the story, I guess.

lobomensch wrote:

"The Chase" at least gave some explanation for the abundance of humanoid-based species in Trek and "Shades Of Grey" didn't really have any worse scenes than the like of Deanna in "Man Of The People," running around Ten Forward with gray highlights in her hair, throwing a hissy-fit in that shrill voice.

I take it you're not a Troi fan lol "Man of the People" isn't one of my favorites either, but she (Marina Sirtis) made it very believable by acting the way she did.

My problem with "The Chase" was that I didn't feel it really needed an explaination -- although they did a good job explaining it in a believable way. But that's me I still watch it when it's on, I just don't worry about waiting for a commercial to take a potty break lol

As for "Shades of Grey", I stand by my original statement. IT WAS BAD. It took virtually NO imagination. What a lazy way to end a season. I'm SO glad they didn't do another flashback episode like that.

lobomensch

[14]Jan 3, 2006
    cyndia1968 wrote:

I loved it for the creep factor. I think the best was Crusher's hallucination in the morgue (with the corpses suddenly sitting up... gives me the willies every time I see it). Also the others' hallucinations -- strange noises, paranoia -- added to that as well. And all caused by something as simple as lack of R.E.M. (which is very real and has been proven) Very good premise, IMO. Personally, I didn't pay much attention to Troi's backside. I was too caught up in the story, I guess.

I didn't find it that spooky, Riker's snake dance included. It actually was pretty funny to me, with the "Eyes In The Dark" quote sounding like something from a Dan Curtis production or a Billy Idol/Sheena Easton song. And the whole resolution to the problem, Tyken's Rift, being explosive gas, literally. That expression on Marina's face afterwards was priceless. Almost makes you think of a Friends episode or South Park concerning lighting a match for all the wrong reasons. Altered States, indeed.

cyndia1968 wrote:

I take it you're not a Troi fan lol "Man of the People" isn't one of my favorites either, but she (Marina Sirtis) made it very believable by acting the way she did.

I don't dislike Marrina at all, just the way her character was treated through the whole series, at least until the sixth season when Jellico made her change into a proper uniform in "Chain Of Command" -- that catsuit always seemed to make her a target for everything from jilted relationships to a quick grope from horny Ferengi. Her over-acting in this episode, however, made me reach for the Pepto more than once. However, must say I enjoyed that see-through dress she wore, especially with dvd and flat-screen tv now, yummy. That was the only redeeming part of "The Man-Trap," oops, meant "Man Of The People." Maybe they watched "Lifeforce" (with Patrick no less) too many times?

cyndia1968 wrote:

As for "Shades of Grey", I stand by my original statement. IT WAS BAD. It took virtually NO imagination. What a lazy way to end a season. I'm SO glad they didn't do another flashback episode like that.

And I stand by my original statement, "Man Of The People" was far worse. Bad, though, not in a good way, like "Mommie Dearest," which Troi/Marrina tried so hard to ape but missed out on completely. I guess if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. Might as well have "Property Of Paramount" tattooed on her backside, like Jeri Ryan at that.

AlanShore

[15]Jan 4, 2006
    The guest stars in "Man of the People" were some of the worst actors to ever disgrace the screen, but the story is leagues better than "Shades of Grey".

Anyone else hate "The Child"?

lobomensch

[16]Jan 4, 2006
    No argument there, the guests in that ep. were pretty awful, especially the one that played the "old woman" that was following the vampire around as his "mother."
    "The Child" was pretty wretched, especially that kid, he looked like one of the "Boys From Brazil" or "Village Of The Damned." And Troi plays the victim as usual, ugh.

AlanShore

[17]Jan 4, 2006
    Speaking of Troy, I think "Imaginary Friend" should be placed near the bottom of the pack quality-wise. Anyone else agree?

lobomensch

[18]Jan 5, 2006
    "Imaginary Friend" aka "Malice In Wonderland" was really awful, that Isabella charcter was too much like "The Bad Seed" for starters. Though, both children, especially the one that played Clara, really acted their roles quite well. When you get down to it, Troi episodes aside, the real bumper crop of the worst episodes was in the 5th season. Almost hesitated buying the DVD set but wanted to keep library complete.

AlanShore

[19]Jan 5, 2006
    The 5th season was the only one without Q, too. That certainly counts against it.

Predominantly, most of the crap was in the first two seasons, though. I can only think of about 6 or 7 episodes I really enjoyed between those two years....Hmmmmm...

SEASON 1: "Hide and Q", "The Big Goodbye", "11001001", and "Conspiracy"

SEASON 2: "Q Who", "Elementary, Dear Data", and "Peak Performance".

I just couldn't get into any of the other stories in the first two seasons.

otvyet

[20]Jan 5, 2006
    MASKS SUCKED