Worst Episode?

lobomensch

[21]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 51
    Elaborate why.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lobomensch

[22]Jan 8, 2006
    I thought there were more outstanding episodes in the 2nd season than the ones you mentioned. Some of my favorites were "Contagion," which gave more insight on the Romulans in Next Generation, "A Matter Of Honor" which showed more about the Klingons and Riker, "The Measure Of A Man" which had outstanding acting from the entire cast as well as defining Data's place in the Federation, "Pen Pals" giving more insight into Data (loved the wonderful holodeck scenes with Picard riding the horse there) and "The Emissary," which introduced K'Ehleyr and fleshed out Worf's background more. As for the first season, I agree with all your choices but will include "Where No One Has Gone Before," which gave us the Traveller. I also liked "The Battle" for it's insights into Picard's Stargazer days and "The Last Outpost" for it's introduction of the Ferengi as well as the Portal character.

AlanShore

[23]Jan 8, 2006
    • level: 3
    Oh, I forgot "The Measure of a Man". I loved that one, how could I have forgotten it?

The rest of the 1st and 2nd season episodes just don't sit well with me. They have their moments, but the storylines seem forced and the acting, with a few exceptions (Stewart, Spiner, Muldaur), is stiff, plus Worf is pushed to the background so the much weaker character of Yar could be featured. Fortunately this changed.

The third season was when the show really got its act together, IMHO.

reachums

[24]Jan 17, 2006
    • level: 9
    "Shades of Grey" was made because the writers went on strike and they needed something to air, and man does it show. that was THE WORST episode ever! keep your writers happy kids, you need 'um!

TJSpyke

[25]Jan 21, 2006
    • level: 5
    I have to agree with AlanShore, I don't like most of the episodes from the first two seasons. There were a few episodes I liked, but the show didn't really get good for me until season 3.

CruisD64

[26]Feb 27, 2007
    • level: 1
    Man, you guys can't forget about "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!" . That episode was pretty rediculous. I'm going off my memory right now but i believe that episode was called Darmok. But my absolute LEAST favorite episode the The Game where Riker brings that retarded eyepiece game back to the Enterprise and everyone becomes all stupid and possessed. I can't believe nobody mentioned either of those two. Those are even worse than Shades Of Gray! just my 2 cents.

lennydonkey

[27]Feb 27, 2007
    • level: 12
    Obviously "Shades of Grey" at the Bottom. But also "Elementery my Dear Data" It combined my absolute two least favorite things in Star Trek - Malfunctioning Holodecks, and Dr. Pulaski. Anything with a holodeck malfunction is just plain lazy writing (...uh, how about worf and data in the old west? Sure!) And Pulaski was such rip-off of McCoy from TOS it was distracting. That said I think it's amazing to watch how far the show develops in quality from the first couple seasons through the last.

TelFan7

[28]Feb 28, 2007
    • level: 6

Worst episode from each season:

Season 1 = "Coming Of Age" Wesley centered ep. need I say more.

Season 2 = "The Child" A whiny Troi episode.

Season 3 = "The Most Toys".

Season 4 = "The Host" Crusher falls in love episode.

Season 5 = "Imaginary Friend". Second worst.

Season 6 = "Rascals" Picard, Ro Laren, Guinan and Keiko O'Brien as 12 year olds. Come on.

Season 7 = "Sub Rosa".

Worst overall "Ethics" Season 5. Sap-factor 10+!!!

lobomensch

[29]Mar 1, 2007

My list

Season 1 = "Code Of Honor" - very dull remake of "Amok Time"

Season 2 = "Shades Of Grey" - cheap way for a finale

Season 3 = "Captain's Holiday" - Picard + gold-digging slut/real life girlfriend = bad episode

Season 4 = "Night Terrors" - 'nuff said

Season 5 = "The Perfect Mate" - disgusting endorsement of prostitution/child abuse

Season 6 = "Man Of The People" - again, 'nuff said

Season 7 = "Genesis" - we are not men, we are devo-lved

runners-up

Season 1 = "When The Bough Breaks" - someone call Fagin already

Season 2 = "The Schizoid Man" - Data as Hemingway, puh-leeze

Season 3 = "A Matter Of Perspective" - Perry Mason gone awry

Season 4 = "Qpid" - STUpid is more the appropos title here

Season 5 = "The Outcast" - androgyny + hetero relationship = gay allegory. Huh?

Season 6 = "Birthright" - two-part snoozer with Daddy issues.

Season 7 = "Sub Rosa" - Beverly goes ghostbuster

Dishonorable Mention

Season 1 = "Home Soil" - started the whole annoying bug trend

Season 2 = "Up The Long Ladder" - Attack Of The Hee Haw Clones

Season 3 = "The Price" - Troi gets her ride pimped

Season 4 = "Suddenly Human" - Suddenly annoyed, ditch the brat already

Season 5 = "Relics" - shabby treatment of Scotty, ties with "Unification" with worst handling of TOS guest-stars/characters

Season 6 = "Frame Of Mind" - Riker's lost weekend, let me out of herrrreeee.

Season 7 = "Emergence" - Pull the plug on this one

Edited on 03/01/2007 9:37pm
    Edited 2 total times.

crl22

[30]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 1

I actually couldn't pick a single least-favorite for the first 2 seasons. There were about 10 contenders from those 2 seasons for worst episode, but thankfully, the show found its stride in season 3.

Season 1) a 5-way tie between Code of Honor, Justice, Haven, When the Bough Breaks, and Symbiosis.

Season 2) 4-way tie: The Child, The Schizoid Man, The Royale, and Shades of Grey.

Season 3) The Price

Season 4) The Host

Season 5) Ethics

Season 6) Aquiel

Season 7) Sub Rosa

It's too hard to pick out the single worst episode of the series. All of these listed episodes were lousy, but I would say Code of Honor.

There are other episodes (like Rascals) that have silly premises but are at least moderately entertaining.

Edited on 03/03/2007 10:08pm

pjhasham

[31]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 17
    Shades of Gray, Imaginary Friend, Pen Pals (prime directive issues aside, they could have made it less sappy) Lessons (absolutely no chemistry between those two, although she looked closer to his age than Beverly,) and Home Soil (largely because of the "ugly bags of mostly water" description).

whoruworking4

[32]Apr 1, 2007
    • level: 7
    Sub Rosa--I thought Crusher talking about how she liked to be touched was just too awkward

Pen Pals--Sarjenka was annoying, and I never undrestood that door thing that you touched and it disappeared.

Imaginary Friend--While the kid actors were very good, the actual story was horrible.

Shades of Grey--Budget saver. More of Doctor Pulaski than I can stand.

Code of Honor

Justice--Horrible. Wesley-centric.

The Bonding, Hero Worship--Any story that centers around a child on the enterprise tends to suck.

I actually really liked The Chase. The story was great, and that klingon cracked me up, especially when he tried to fight Data. I was sad when they didn't have "dishonorable topah" in the Star Trek Encyclopedia.

JemHadar359

[33]Apr 4, 2007
    • level: 6
    I love Masks!

whoruworking4

[34]Apr 5, 2007
    • level: 7
    JemHadar359 wrote:
    I love Masks!

me too. So many people complain about it but ithought it was really interesting.

lobomensch

[35]Apr 9, 2007
    I enjoyed "Masks" for the whole Mayan/Incan/Aztec angle of it. Lot of Toltec imagery in that one.

One episode that is mentioned often and rightly so as one of the worst was "The Game". But this ep. is so bad it's good in some points, like Johnathan's cracking up in the background during the "pound cake" scene with Worf (actually, watch the whole cast, and how they really overact sarcastically to the script/Wes' homecoming, Wil included) and how Gates' was cracking up in the scene with her talking to Wil in Bev's quarters (as she's seated in chair with back to camera you can see her head bobbing up and down with laughter if you look close) to name a couple. A bad episode can be moderately entertaining if played right, but some mentioned here just stunk because of trying to play them straight, like "Night Terrors" and "Sub Rosa."

TimDrakeRobin

[36]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 26
    Any where Wesley saved the day, except for when he & Picard were stranded on the desert planet.
    Edited on 06/03/2007 9:19pm

ferdochse

[37]Jun 9, 2007
    • level: 4
    "The Price" is the worst episode ever. When they are zooming on Troi's foot being rubbed by Lloyd Braun... Ugh. The actual story of the episode is actually good, but the Troi/Lloyd Braun love story is disgusting. Another bad one is the season 7 episode where Crusher has falls in love with the Erotic Plasma Beast of Scotland.

Tronman100

[38]Jun 9, 2007
    • level: 11
    ferdochse wrote:
    "The Price" is the worst episode ever. When they are zooming on Troi's foot being rubbed by Lloyd Braun... Ugh. The actual story of the episode is actually good, but the Troi/Lloyd Braun love story is disgusting. Another bad one is the season 7 episode where Crusher has falls in love with the Erotic Plasma Beast of Scotland.

Yea...those episodes sucked hard. But at least "The Price" spinned off the Voyager episode "False Profits" which was awesome!

pjhasham

[39]Jun 9, 2007
    • level: 17

Tronman100 wrote:
    ferdochse wrote:
    Yea...those episodes sucked hard. But at least "The Price" spinned off the Voyager episode "False Profits" which was awesome!

And it was the obvious inspiration for both DS9 and Voyager.

acdude15

[40]Jun 11, 2007
    • level: 3
    Shades of Grey, hands down the worst TNG episode, maybe the worst episode of ALL STAR TREK shows!