Worst Episode?

capn_fwiffo

[81]Sep 3, 2009
    • level: 1
    yeah sub rosa was bad, heaps of episodes from season 7 were just awful. Loved season 3-6
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

capn_fwiffo

[82]Sep 3, 2009
    wtf? night terrors and schisms were good in my opnion. Night terrors, clues and schism are classics

trekkfan

[83]Oct 29, 2009
    "The Price" is a terrible episode. "The Loss" is horrible too. Also, "Sub Rosa" was awful.

jrsgalaxy

[84]May 28, 2010
    • level: 14

What ?! Clues was one of my fave episodes from that season and overall.

pferreira86

[85]May 30, 2010
    • level: 17

jrsgalaxy wrote:

Clues was a very good episode although after you watch it once there aren't many surprises left if you watch again. Still very good though.

jrsgalaxy

[86]May 30, 2010
    pferreira86 wrote:

jrsgalaxy wrote:

Clues was a very good episode although after you watch it once there aren't many surprises left if you watch again. Still very good though.

Yeah but what an episode!! I remember Data's odd behavior throughout and couldn't figure out why. So that twist at the end was awesome especially as Data goes back and walks everyone through to what really happened , then everything makes sense. Real Twilight Zone feel to it.

Yaspaa

[87]Jun 4, 2010
    • level: 79
    Yeah, Clues is a great, memorable episode from a show which aired in the same decade as Buck Rogers ended. TNG got the whole ball rolling again, went through all the initial anti-Kirk attacks, and fought for, and won it's audience. Hindsight opinions/reviews are redundent to me.
    Worst Episode - One Tree Hill!

jrsgalaxy

[88]Jun 6, 2010
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Yeah, Clues is a great, memorable episode from a show which aired in the same decade as Buck Rogers ended. TNG got the whole ball rolling again, went through all the initial anti-Kirk attacks, and fought for, and won it's audience. Hindsight opinions/reviews are redundent to me.
    Worst Episode - One Tree Hill!

Technosquid

[89]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 3

I didn't like a lot of the first season episodes, when the series was just getting its bearings, but the hands-down worst was Code of Honor.

It would have been like any other sub-par early-series episode, except for the way the wrote tasha's part, as having feelings for this sexist guy who abducted her for the purpose of forcing her into marriage. The loophole the exploited at the end, and how easily everyone seemed to accept it, also really bugged me.

I can understand why people didn't like Sub Rosa, but I liked it. I liked all of season 7 because it all felt very modern and polished, even if a few of the episodes had premises verging on the absurd.

I'm really more of a DS9 man, though.

pferreira86

[90]Jun 13, 2010

Technosquid wrote:

I didn't like a lot of the first season episodes, when the series was just getting its bearings, but the hands-down worst was Code of Honor.

It would have been like any other sub-par early-series episode, except for the way the wrote tasha's part, as having feelings for this sexist guy who abducted her for the purpose of forcing her into marriage. The loophole the exploited at the end, and how easily everyone seemed to accept it, also really bugged me.

If you don't like Code of Honor I'm guessing you don't think much of Angel One either since it shares similar themes of gender authority.

jrsgalaxy

[91]Jun 13, 2010
    pferreira86 wrote:

Technosquid wrote:

If you don't like Code of Honor I'm guessing you don't think much of Angel One either since it shares similar themes of gender authority.

I didn't like either one of those episodes either although Angel One was more tolerable because of the Glamazons.

pferreira86

[92]Jun 20, 2010

jrsgalaxy wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:

Technosquid wrote:

I didn't like either one of those episodes either although Angel One was more tolerable because of the Glamazons.
    I thought that was a really cringe worthy episode.

my1sunshine

[93]Sep 25, 2010
    • level: 12

The reason I didn't like "Code of Honor" was it hugged styles of the original series too much, especially when they were claiming to try to avoid doing so during the shows beginning episodes. The whole primitive culture/tribe thing... complete with jungle or tribe like quotations within the music score. Anybody get my meaning? (" Friday's Child " A Private Little War") . This was due partially because it's the only NG episode to be scored by a composer from the Original series...Gerald Fried. Dig the music for the fight between Tasha and Yarina.. and tell me it's not similar to his music for the fight between Kirk and Spock for Amok Time!!!

Beyond that, the story just sucked.

A lot of people dis Justice.. either because of Wes or the promiscuous natives in those outfits. (Was that Bill Thiess, those costumes..by the way? I think it was.)

But I kinda liked it, in fact it was the first ep that conviced me this could be a great show.

Why?

Wesley-bashing aside, it was the first episode of Trek ever, to take the Prime Directive seriously, and not just skirt around it. It's supposed to be General Order One in the Federation.. and it had always been treated in a minimal matter before this. Indeed, Picard never truly solves the problem in a diplomatic way.. because there is no diplomatic solution. He must take Wesley back, plain and simple, and pray that these beings understand the reasons why, and not destroy his ship. It's very human.

I also thought the way the situation between his mother and Picard was handled very classy and very emotionally. She doesn't give a damn about the Prime Directive.. they're going to kill her son! But she has to repect Picard and his dillema " You saw what that thing was about to do..", and the conflict is unbearable for her.

Just wanted to justify the merits of an unjustly maligned episode, IMHO, lol.

I thaught Masks, Night Terrors, and other eps later in the series were much worse. Skin of Evil I'll always be mad about, because it's such an important episode ( Tasha's death) and her killer Armus is such a joke.. and was handled very shoddily. If not for the awful execution of that creature, who was the main menace... it might have been an awesome show. But it just ruins it for me.

I thought the second season had some great shows... some of the best... but when they crashed.. they REALLY crashed.

Shades of Grey was the worst, but most of my least faves are near the shows end run.

All in all, we can be thankful that most of the show was filled with gems!

Edited on 09/24/2010 11:37pm

jrsgalaxy

[94]Sep 26, 2010

I agree with the episode Justice. Aside from the fact that it was one of the first episodes I remember watching (my aunt was a fan and would occasionally watch with her before I became a fan) I just really enjoyed it. I thought this is what a Trek episode is supposed to look like, sound like and feel like. After I got into it a few years later it still remained among my favorites for some reason.

It could do mainly with the way they tackled the issue of the Prime Directive. Ambitous and bit off more than they could chew at the time?

Quite frankly, yes. But still came out great.

I think the series started to get its own look and feel after that episode. Seemed too dark and took itself too seriously with the first seven episodes. I'm glad they lightened up after that. Though I can name some really horrible episodes in the second season ,namely The Dauphin. Don't really know where they pulled that script from ,but was boring as hell.

And yes the first season had serious undertones of TOS, but they were flying from the seats of their pants initially I think and just resorted to what they knew which was TOS style and stories.

And weren't those first season uniforms ugly? Thank God they were such a pain and new ones were designed. And also didn't the first two or three seasons also have a very 80's look and feel to it like the aliens and other visual effects? Not to mention Pulaski's obvious 80's Do. Geez, woman, get a hairstylist.

Edited on 09/26/2010 7:37pm
    Edited 3 total times.

pferreira86

[95]Oct 4, 2010

What?! But the visual effects were great in the early seasons!

Edited on 10/04/2010 11:28am

jrsgalaxy

[96]Oct 5, 2010
    pferreira86 wrote:

What?! But the visual effects were great in the early seasons!

I was just reminiscing. I look back at the early seasons and I have to laugh at how 80's it looked. The main reason why I love it. I love everything 80's.

redorb1

[97]Oct 14, 2010
    • level: 6

I can find nothing redeeming in Sub Rosa. I know its been said before but that episode was sooooooooo bad that it needs to be continually denegrated. Also, not a huge fan of The Outrageous Okona or Man of the People.

pferreira86

[98]Oct 17, 2010

redorb1 wrote:

I can find nothing redeeming in Sub Rosa. I know its been said before but that episode was sooooooooo bad that it needs to be continually denegrated. Also, not a huge fan of The Outrageous Okona or Man of the People.

Actually Sub Rosa is worth watching again to see a terrific continuity error. Watch out for the scene where Crusher and Troi are in the cemetary. Troi I think beams back to the ship and a bit later on in the scene you can see Troi far in the background walking around.

redorb1

[99]Oct 24, 2010
    • level: 6
    Yeah. A small continuity error is not worth having to sit through the episode again.

BlackTulip009

[100]Mar 27, 2012
    • level: 12

Hmmm, worst episode....that's actually a difficult question for a show as brilliant and pretty consistently good as this. Naturally, I love certain ones more than others, but there really weren't any that made me go, "Ugh, that was just horrid!" I suppose I'd also have to take my place on the "Shades of Grey" bandwagon, as that is easily the weakest of the series. Season 2 is my least favorite overall. Yet, I wasn't as appalled as I thought I'd be given the terrible things I'd read before seeing it--and even that episode earns a 6.5-7 from me. Fans have quite a way with hyperbole. It flowed along and kept me engaged (ha, ha), even though in the end, the series would be just fine without it. No surprise that it's the only episode of the entire series to have a low "red" average rating on this site (as opposed to a medium yellow or high green. Of course, the vast majority of Star Trek episodes are most deservedly in the green.)

However, reading back over this, I cannot believe that "Sub Rosa" was named so many times! D: WHAT! I LOVE that one, and compare it to the "I Love Lucy" episode entitled "Lucy Goes to Scotland." Why? Both appear to be common "least favorites" of their series, which makes no sense to me at all, because I find them totally awesome. (Not that I could really name you a least favorite Lucy episode, either--if I did, it would still be one I'd rate a solid 8-9!) They take place in "Scotland-but-not-really-Scotland" (Lucy's was one long dream sequence.) They stand out as being extremely different from your average episode, which likely explains why they're so easily picked out by those who didn't care for the particular deviations from the norm and the strangeness. Both explore the ancestry of a red-haired, blue-eyed protagonist--with the primary difference being that one can't "dance worth a hoot!" (Guess which, LOL.) I'm sure that Bev's singing is also several boatloads better than Lucy's. xD Ronin was like Scotty MacTavish MacDougal MacCardo--the lass falls for him, but he proves to be a complete cad. Well, almost a complete one. It's just too bad that TNG never did a musical ep. (Heck, they sure had the cast for it.) Anyway...yeah. I thought "Sub Rosa" was great. I don't just like it--it's among my favorites. Frakes is an awesome director. He's right; it has the feel of a "Tales From the Crypt" or "Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction" story. (What with him hosting the latter--another of the absolute greatest TV shows ever produced, in my opinion--it's a real wonder that they never cast the other Trek actors in any of the stories! That would have made the already near-perfect series at least 20% cooler.) But truly, I loved the setting, the atmosphere, the mystery...the whole thing was incredibly creepy. Much like "Night Terrors," which is another terrific and scary sort of "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" Trek episode that impressed me significantly (and is perfect for Halloween!) Well, I HAVE always been extremely partial to horror, the paranormal, and ghost tales! So it's little surprise that I happened to love those two, really. And damn, Gates is a hell of an actress. She's especially superb at very dramatic, intense, and eerie plots. Why the heck isn't she popular for things other than Star Trek?! Yes, yes, there's the glaring continuity error with Troi wandering around the cemetery after she'd already left with Crusher...but that's one small blemish on an otherwise truly outstanding and engrossing episode. It's so strange, too...the sets of the cemetery and the old Howard house felt familiar to me, even though I'm pretty certain that I'd never seen the episode before...almost like things I've seen in dreams or other memories or something. Kinda bizarro. o.O

Others popped up in this thread which I also would have placed among my "favorites" rather than "worst," or would certainly not have nominated for "worst"--but whatever; different folks, different strokes. (YES, "Masks" did remind me very much of "Jumanji" as well!)

Don't mind my rambling, though. I just adore drawing comparisons I notice among things I love. In fact, I've been re-watching TNG, and a couple of other things that sprang to mind included...

*"Ship in a Bottle" is a rather obvious allusion to "Frankenstein," as I'm sure many others must have noted in the past. (Holodeck Moriarty, a life form created by artificial/technological rather than biological means, and his mate...)

**"Attached" was sort of the Trek equivalent of the "handcuff episode," and the idea of characters getting stuck together physically (and, in this case, mentally as well.) The literal handcuff gag has never been done better, of course, than by 'The Honeymooners' and 'I Love Lucy!'

*"Final Mission"...the scene in the cave between Wesley and the injured Picard reminded me of the one near the end of "Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey," with Chance (a young American Bulldog) and Shadow (an older, wise Golden Retriever.) The retriever falls into a hole and is severely injured; the bulldog encourages him to go on, referencing the strength and encouragement he's demonstrated as leader all along; the retriever tries to prepare the younger dog to continue on his own because he anticipates not making it...he struggles and tries but is too weak to climb out, continuously sliding back down...dangit, that episode had me getting all misty and stuff. I even spoke Chance's line aloud, couldn't help myself--"But I WANT you with me...I love you, Shadow." Crap. The scene is hard to even think about. Well, if you've seen this movie (and you MUST if you haven't), you'll know what I'm getting at.

Those episodes were both awesome, too, by the way.

Edited on 10/09/2012 12:20am
    Edited 14 total times.