Star Trek: The Next Generation

Hide And Q

Aired Unknown Nov 23, 1987 on CBS

• Q has too much power

What I don't get, even though he explained it, is why he picked Riker to be the one guy to give powers to. Then powers automatically made Riker someone to fear and he became kind of a douche. There was no reason for Q to pick that random star ship and give Riker crazy powers. near the episode he gets "punished?" why didn't he disappear way earlier when he was just screwing around with the crew. This whole episode was just one big huge acid trip. I mean it was entertaining but Q has way too much power it's pretty ridiculous. He has no true weakness besides the authorities over him that control how much he can screw with people. But people who watch TNG need to keep in mind, this is just season 1. Plenty of old shows have shitty beginnings, I can only assume (since this is my first time watching TNG) that it develops over time and gets better.
  • Q-uite sucky

Season 1 of TNG was undeniably the worst season of the whole show. Part of what makes this season so insufferably bad is the unmitigated moral superiority of our characters. See, Q decides to give Commander Riker the powers of the Q(basically, omnipotence). But when it comes to saving the life of a little dead girl... Picard praises him "You were right not to try!". Let me repeat that again because it bears repeating... Picard just praised Riker... FOR NOT SAVING THE LIFE OF AN INNOCENT LITTLE GIRL!!!!

Even if you can look past the unfounded moral superiority laid down by Picard and his brainwashed crew, the story is so unbelievably drop dead stupid that it makes Adam Sandler's latest films look insightful and profoundly touching pieces of art. Picard is obviously concerned that Q is tempting Riker with the gift of the Q.... WHY? Why this whole trepidation against accepting a gift that can only do you, your ship and humanity good? Now, I insist that the ONLY reason Picard guilts Riker into letting go of the gift of Q is because Picard's tremendous ego is on the line(Although I'm not sure how Picard has much of an ego left after surrendering to Q barely half an hour into the first half of "Encounter at Farpoint"). This episode sickens me, and it's a prime example why season 1 was such a steaming rotten goat turd.
  • Q gives a gift of his powers to Riker...

This episode was a poor example of Star Trek - Next Generation. All the acting is generally poor by the principal characters and the action sequences and the special effects are very ordinary. The theme that ultimate power can corrupt is a good concept but this is negated completely by the direction of the story. There are many scenes where the episode falls flat: Tasha breaking down like a baby, Picard telling an all-powerful Riker what to do, Geordi-Data-Riker staring into the distance at nothing, animal-soldiers moving so slowly that they could hardly be classified as threatening, the fake looking planet...the list goes on. I always found the Q stories completely unbelievable. Here is a being so powerful that he could wipe out anything he considers a threat, yet in this story he wants to know what makes Riker tick...and with all the Q stories, the Enterprise continues on like nothing happened...
  • With the ship on route to a rescue mission, Q returns to taunt the crew, this time singling out Riker. He whisks the bridge crew, minus Picard, to a baron planet, and makes Riker an offer he can't refuse. Not classic, but good by first season standards...

This review contains spoilers.

In my opinion, this episode is not quite the series classic that some might claim, but on the other hand, most definitely not the stinker that others might suggest. Personally, I feel it to be a watchable, mostly enjoyable first season outing, where the show is steadily finding it's footing (and own niche from The Original Series) after some truly horrendous very early episodes.
    It still has a rather "cheap and cheerful" feel to it, as does much of the first season, a far cry for the much more polished later stories, but at the same time, delivers an interesting and watchable tale that is surely a long way from the worst in Trek history.

John De Lancie returns as Q, after being introduced in the pilot, "Encounter at Farpoint". Although I wouldn't quite rank De Lancie as one of TV's all-time greatest guest star roles as some might, I do really like him. He is quirky and amusing, and captures the essence of the character without trying too hard. In the wrong hands, the character could so easily have veered into "look at me everyone, I'm wacky!!" territory, but De Lancie has it pretty spot on, knowing when to play it up, and knowing when to underplay it.

The unusual thing about this Q episode, is that, instead of his unusual interest (or even obsession) with Picard, he turns his attentions to Riker. This does mildly break with this overall continuity regarding Q, but there's little that can't be explained away, and it's a nice change to see him focusing his sights on another crew member for a change. Besides, as he was to offer one of the crew Godlike powers, maybe he felt he had more chance with Riker than with Picard.

The section(s) of the story where Q whisks the bridge crew, minus Picard, off to some deserted, baron planet, feels like something straight out of The Original Series. Not only the TV studio set, but the whole "crew members facing a God-like being on an alien planet" concept, something that was used in a number of Original Series episodes.

The episode, even with it's slight "cheap and cheerful" feel, and maybe not the best of performances from some of the main cast, does have an interesting feel, particularly later on, back on the ship, where Riker – given Q powers – offers each bridge member in turn to experience their dream (Wes being a grown man, Geordi his sight, etc.). I found this very intriguing, although maybe verges on being stretched out a bit too long. It's maybe odd that he never offers Tasha, or even Picard himself, their "dream", though. (Speaking of the main cast, Troi does not appear in this one).

In the end, the various crew members decide that they do not want their dreams for various reasons, especially not through Q, and reject them, leading Riker to relinquish his new Q powers. It is a nice ending, though maybe convenient that all of the crew – even the young, inexperienced Wes – has the stamina and courage to relinquish their newfound status.

In all, this is far, FAR from a TNG classic. BUT, but the shaky first season standards, it offers a decent plot, and with a good return appearance by Q. Although not a classic, I enjoy it enough to give it a 9.5.
  • Q-ball....

On their way to rescue a large group of people, the Enterprise is interrupted by the god-like Q who is taking a particular interest in Riker. Naturally, the Enterprise crew is irritated by his presence and wants him to bugger off so they can carry on with their rescue mission but Q says that the Q Continuum's interest in humans has grown since his last dealings with the Enterprise. Subsequently he wants to play a deadly game with the bridge crew (involving pig-like monsters dressed up as Napoleonic soldiers that are just a little too weird for the episode's own good) and offers Riker something extraordinary.

"Hide And Q" is a pretty good episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation but not a particularly strong one. The idea of what Q tries to give Riker is interesting and makes for a good story but Riker's change in personality is too quick once he gets a sample of what would be Q's gift, making a 180 degree turn after about five minutes. But Picard and Q's exchange is very entertaining, the episode's end is cool, and Geordi and Worf's parts of the episode are its highlight - "Hide And Q" is an episode ultimately worthy of the series despite not being exactly highly qualified.
  • Q episode

It should actually say - watched! Lets face it the best bit about early ST:TNG was Q. Here we see him for the 1st time since Farpoint. Causing more mischief, this time with the focus on Ryker. Predicatably Ryker fails the task set upon him and who wouldnt want the Qs powers. However, Picard outwits Q by knowing the reactions of his crew. 2-0 humans.

The plot is below Q standards, but it is an early episode. Peril is placed on the crew as Q ups the stakes of his tasks, while failure does seem possible as with all Q episodes.

No Martina Sirtis in this one - I guess even councillers need their beauty sleep. Well worth a watch and the best episode so far this season.
  • A fine example... of bad season 1 writing on TNG.

While traveling through space to rescue yet another planet, the Enterprise runs into a wall constructed out of cheesy CGA graphics. You know what that means... another season 1 episode featuring Q.

The dialogue in this episode is just awful. I feel especially sorry for Denise Crosby, because she gets to deliver some truly horrendous lines. (And hitting on Picard... yikes.) The verbal sparring between Picard and Q would get better later in the series, but here it's ridiculous, pompous and over-the-top. The sequence with Shakespeare quotes attempts to be witty but comes off as pointless and sophomoric. The "philosophical" discussions of mankind's nature sound like something out of a high school student's term paper. The monkeys in Napoleonic uniforms thing is just weird -- maybe they ran out of costumes at Paramount and those were the only thing they had left.

The second half of the episode is even worse. An interesting idea -- how would a human deal with being given godlike powers? But here it's rushed through in about 15-20 minutes and Jonathan Frakes is completely unconvincing. (This is a shame because his sparring with Q earlier in the episode, unlike Picard's, IS actually amusing.)

And the final sequence, where Riker grants "wishes" to the bridge crew, just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaags.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't characterize this episode as uniformly awful, just garden-variety weak. And for those with a blanket hatred of all things Wesley Crusher (not me), there is the added bonus of seeing him killed (albeit only temporarily).
  • I hate to disagree with the other reviewers...but to me this falls a long way short of 'series classic'.

Q makes his second appearance in TNG when he returns to tempt Riker with the offer of god-like powers. But how will Riker cope with his new god-like status?

I have to level with you: in my opinion this is yet another first season clunker. The script is muddled and weak and is swamped by top-heavy literary references and a tendency to philosophise that ends up seeming more pompous than profound. The dialogue is truly atrocious in places and the characterisation is all over the place. One of the worst instances was when Tasha is returned to the Enterprise by Q and starts sobbing like a child, before hitting on Picard when he comforts her (I kid you not).

The final part of the episode, when Riker becomes corrupted by his powers falls utterly flat, due in combination to the weak scripting and Jonathan Frakes' wooden performance. In short - I didn't believe a word of it. Not a word.

This episode strikes me as a watered down-version of an original series episode - even the hopelessly fake-looking alien planet set wouldn't have looked out of place in TOS. Alas, it's all been done before - and much better elsewhere. For a far more effective version of this story, go and watch TOS episode 'Where No Man Has Gone Before'.
  • Campy, fun, and intelligent.

This episode, is Q's second appearance in the series. His first was in the first episode. In this episode Q puts the enterprise in some dangerous, almost dream-like situations. This episode is very campy, sort of like the original series. The character of Q steals every scene he's in, this is almost always the case. The only one that can hold a torch to Q is Picard, and watching them have their battle of wits, is some of the best script writing in the series. This episode hints at many episodes to come, and is also very funny at points too. This is one of Season one's best.
  • Q is back!

The omnipotent Q is back for seconds and this time has an interest in Riker he offers him a chance to join the Q Continuum and become omnipotent. Riker is given the power of the Q just to test it out before accepting Q's offer. The power starts to get in Rikers mind, like being rude to Picard. Riker then tries to make offers to the crewmembers but all of then reject it and so Riker decides not to join the Q. Since Q promised never to return if Riker rejected the offer, he was forced out of the ship by the Continuum and things were back to normal.

Very good Q and Riker ep, Q is humorous as always and Picard is Picard.

I recommend it and give it 4 out of 5 stars (8.0 on TV.com)
  • Intrigued by the Enterprise crew, Q returns to study Picard and company more closely.

John de Lancie, whose Q character was created for the pilot just to expand the time of the episode, returns and knocks it out of the park once again. This somewhat has the feel of the original Star Trek show (which is probably because Roddenberry did a rewrite on C.J. Holland's script) but includes some great character development for the TNG crew. Sadly, the plot runs out about ¾ to the end, and there's a lot of talk the last ten or fifteen minutes to kill time before the end. As Q episodes go, this one is on the weaker side; but, of course, it's almost always fun to see de Lancie do his thing on Star Trek, and this episode is the segue between the pilot and the more interesting Q stories.
  • Q arrives back onto the enterprise. while there on there way to a resuce mission.

this is the second time we see Q. any episode which features Q in it i just love. in this episode the enterprise is on its way to a resuce mission. on there way Q arrives. his mission is to get riker to join him. while there on the planet below. Q sets up a test for the crew. he has given riker the Q powers to save the crew. in which he does. he saves wolfs and wesleys life. while back on the bridge, riker wants to give the crew special gifts. data declines the offer. we get to see wesley as a grown up. geordi with his eye sight, in which he gets to see tasha for the first time. this is a very good episode in which Q has many amusing lines.
  • The Enterprise encounters Q, with interesting results for Commander Riker.

I really liked this episode, it was very interesting and fun to watch. While it's certainly not the most memorable episode, it dealth with some very interesting ideas. While any episode with Q is interesting, this one was more focused on the reactions of the crew of the Enterprise, specifically Riker and, in my opinin, Data. While Riker's role in this is clear, geing given Q powers and learning why it is best not to use them, the part I found particualarly interesing was Data's reaction when Riker offered to make him human. Being human is something that Data has wanted all his life, he is contantly trying to learn ways to be more human, trying to understand even what it means to be human. For him torefuse that, giving the reason's he gave, was in itself a very human thing to do.
  • The “Enterprise” is on its way to aid survivors on a planet that has been devastated by a lethal explosion. Guess who shows up on the way? It is the “Q” again. This time the “Q” has taken interest in Commander Riker. The “Q” insists on playing a game.

The “Enterprise” is on its way to aid survivors on a planet that has been devastated by a lethal explosion. Guess who shows up on the way? It is the “Q” again. This time the “Q” has taken interest in Commander Riker. The “Q” insists on playing a game. Picard has no time for a game, but the “Q” forces the game anyway. Impressed with Riker, the “Q” offers to make Riker one of them. Riker now has the power to change things. Riker is facing temptation to use the power to save people. Will he leave the “Enterprise”?
  • Q is back!

This episode is much better then the first episode featuring Q (Encounter At Farpoint).

Q is up to his usual trickery making the Enterprise crew to face an alien version of Napoleons soldiers. As a twist Q also gives Riker his powers and offers him a place in the space continuum.
  • Q decides to visit the Enterprise again and tries to bring Riker back to the Q continuum. He pits them against a Napoleonic enemy. Q grans Riker the power of the Q and it quickly corrupts him as the crew tries to get him back.

A great episode, I love the symbolism that Q shows when he first arrives on the Enterprise as the 3 headed snake. Kind of a weird 'game' he puts them in. I dont know why they were so suprised to see that the world Q put them in has 2 moons seeing as how Earth is one of very few planets to only have 1 moon.

Its wonderful how Q reveals how the human race has something they do not...the 'human compulsion'..the need and hunger to learn more and constantly become better. I especially like how he tells Riker that the human race will progress for many Eons...fascinating.
  • Another Recommended Episode...

This episode has Q in it, the "Q" are a species of unnamed immortal beings with infinite power. The Q that is played by John De Lancie fears Humans based on what they have done to each other in the past. He fears them so much, he comes very close to eliminating all of them, but first he wants to see for himself. So an ugly First Contact proceeded.

Now he's back, and up to no good again, and he wants Riker to become a Q. he stops time just so he can play games with the Enterprise. But the other Q life forms discover exactly what he's been up to, and restores everything to normal.

The Next Time That Q Appears, he meets Guinan again, and he introduces Picard to a species that can remove outposts on planets with a single tractor beam...The BORG.
  • Q Strikes Back!

Q is just a great character, as well as entertaining to watch. We also finally see that much of his actions are not sanctioned by the Q Continuum, a continuing irritation for Q. Before, we thought that Q was a messenger, when in fact he is a rogue.

And, as Picard rightfully said, Riker is an idiot.