Star Trek: The Next Generation

Imaginary Friend

Aired Unknown May 04, 1992 on CBS

• But the approach is different and watchable

This is quality version based on the theme of first contact w/ non-coporeal beings. The model is as you would expect. Low key first contact w/ a non-prepared member of the crew. An clumsy exchange ensues between both parties. Misunderstandings follow with the crew and ship ending on collision course to destruction before Picard takes the reigns and convinces the aliens that they are no threat.

What works really well here is the context that the story is played out in. The actresses playing Clara Sutter and Isabella do a very polished job of bringing their characters to life. I really enjoyed the use of a child's imaginary friend as the host of the inquistive/aggressive alien life-form. Also the girl's relationship with the "img friend" and the various encounters w/ adult crew members are good viewing and also prove enjoyable.

Many wont however. Those that dont may enjoy the low key action that unfolds and the growing threat levels that the manifestation presents.

We do see a number of "new" locations throughout the ship and Guynan has a brief role to play.

Overall its the sort of episode I like, and it was one of my favourites. If you dont mind a remake on a theme and like the subject matter. If you do mind then you may not enjoy this, or enjoy it as much as I did.