Star Trek: The Next Generation

Lower Decks

Aired Unknown Feb 07, 1994 on CBS

• The episode follows the experience of four low level Ensigns all seaking advancement. An interesting account of the Enterprise from the eyes of the average joe.

A very interesting and fresh episode. I found it fascinating to see the Enterprise from the eyes of those who are not pivotal, high ranking members of the crew. For the majority of the series, we see life on the enterprise through the eyes of a select few. We have come accross small, bit characters in past episodes. Though we have never seen things through their eyes, as they are merely a portion of a larger character's storyline. In this episode, the bit characters drive the plot as we follow them through their world, through their eyes. It also gave us some insight on the starting point of young Ensign and their experience climbing the Federation ladder. It puts us in their shoes and in doing so, offers us a fresh take on characters we know inside out (Riker, Picard, etc.). Overall, one of the more informative episodes in the entire series. My only complaint is that it could had a more pivotal, interesting plot arc.