Star Trek: The Next Generation

Lower Decks

Aired Unknown Feb 07, 1994 on CBS

• A chance to see more.

I grew up watching Star Trek, and when TNG came out, my mom and I watched it faithfully. Granted, there are some episodes of Star Trek (every series) that make me groan with how poorly written they are, or how contrived the plot is, but this isn't one of them. In following the lives of the 4 ensigns (Sito, Lavelle, Ogawa, and Torik) and their civilian friend Ben, we get a glimpse into life on a starship. We tend to forget that part of the job of a senior officer is to train the junior officers who will come behind them and eventually replace them (hopefully because of promotions), and Trek is just another example of this...until you get to this, and similar episodes (I think every Trek series has had one of these type episodes).

I especially like the parallel poker games; we get to see each group discussing the other, comparing their experiences and gaining insight and guidance from those they consider their closest friends. It gives us a chance to look past their extraordinary circumstances and see them for who they really are; fallible, compassionate, and social. If only more of Trek could be this good...but then, maybe the drek leaves us room to appreciate the great!