Star Trek: The Next Generation

Night Terrors

Aired Unknown Mar 18, 1991 on CBS

7.7
  • TNG does scifi horror, with very good results. The ending is a bit dissatisfying.

TNG tried its hand at horror a few times during the run of the series, and this is probably the best attempt. It's an excellent psychological thriller, and even when we find out that there's a "perfectly reasonable scientific explanation (TM)" the tension continues to climb. The crew - particularly Patrick Stewart and Gates McFadden - do a great job of portraying the crew's gradual descent into madness.

There are two particularly powerful, intense sequences - Worf's attempted suicide and Beverly's hallucination in the morgue. Guinan's sheriff scene in Ten Forward injects some levity.

TNG often struggled to find satisfying conclusions to its best episodes - given a seemingly insurmountable challenge, the writers often used "outs" that seemed like cop-outs. I would put this episode's conclusion into that category. Not bad, but I would have liked something better.