Star Trek: The Next Generation

Power Play

Aired Unknown Feb 24, 1992 on CBS

• creepy at times

OK, first off I have to point out something that bugged me right at the start. The opening depicts a moon orbiting a planet. However, there is no way two bodies could exist that closely without their gravities pulling them into each other. I know this is nitpicking, but one of the things I LOVE about TNG is its relative scientific accuracy.

The shuttlecraft trip to the surface is just ridiculous. It is obvious that the craft has no windshield and is just bouncing around on a gimble with fog machines around it. They've done so many perfectly fine shuttle shots. Why is this one so bad?

Later in the turbolift, O'Brian says they've stopped at Deck 10. Once he gets the lift moving again, Worf reports they've been stopped at Deck 13. If they're going DOWN from the bridge, wouldn't this be backward?

Other than some technical flaws, this is a great, creepy journey. It's always a little hard for me to take Deana seriously but Sirtis plays this as well as the character will allow. Spiner, as always, is SPOT ON with his acting. He has always been the most versatile and talented on the show. "Silence that child!" Seriously, you don't want to piss Data off!

The deceptions and double deceptions in this episode are just great. The idea of ghosts taking people over is truly frightening. Having prisoner ghosts lie about being a former ship crew is just stomach churning. So is the idea of being trapped as a consciousness without form for hundreds of years.

O'Brian hitting on Keiko and abusing her was also just creepy! All in all, I love this episode for the sheer creepiness factor.