Star Trek: The Next Generation

Q Who?

Aired Unknown May 08, 1989 on CBS

• Welcome to the Borg!

The episode where we first encounter the Borg. Logically therefore, it is a first contact type episode with the added complication of having the interfering Q expedite the encounter. So while some of aspects of the plot are typical others are not.

It is an episode that has some combat, although its mostly smoke and mirrors stuff, with the Enterprise not having the technology to deal with the threat. We do however get to see how the Borg operate, from their initial unauthorised boarding, to the boring a section of the Enterprise containing 18 crewmembers. This is one of the aspects of the encounter that is dropped for more traditional site-to-site teleportation in later skirmishes.

Another such facet of the Borg is when Cmdr. Ryker informs the bridge that the Borg appear to be primarily biologically grown beings with implants added later. This is also changed later as the prescribed approach is to assimilate and change existing lifeforms into Borg.

The loss of the crewmen is one of the only (if the only) times when Federation vessels do not risk attempting to liberate captives taken by the Borg.

We also have no experience with the Borg mantra that is to become so much part of their fearful makeup in the future - Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

This is the first time that Picard relents to Q in their battle of wills and asks for Q to return them to the safety of the Alpha quaderant. There are two times when Picard is left helpless in this episode and sees a welcome change to the arrogance that the first season was full of.

On a minor note we get introduced to a bitpart engineer (Ensign Sonya Gomez) whom has a few episodes.

One of the most interesting scenes is where Guinan and Q square up to each other. We get another hint of past meetings and what each thinks of the other. Guinan does an impression of a cornered alley cat!

Overall interesting enough, and should not be missed, but dont expect it to be filled with latter season impressive combat.