Star Trek: The Next Generation

Realm Of Fear

Aired Unknown Sep 28, 1992 on CBS

7.7
  • Reg overcomes his great fear

Though a simple two dimensional story, I found it to be very entertaining and believable to the point that you wont be asking too many question and can just watch the action unfold.

The moral of this story is one about conquering our greatest fear - whatever that maybe. The journey is shown through the eyes of one of my fav. character (and actors) Reg. Barcaly.

The plot also relies on an accident on a science vessel for that allows the story to have heroic overtones at its resolution.

The locations are limited to the Enterprise transporter room and a few scenes on the USS Yosemite which are cool. Other ancillary scenes are on board the Enterprise, though the plasma stream from planet to sun are pretty cool.

Dialogue as you can expect from season 6 has come far from its early outings. They do a good job of demonstrating Barclays rising tension, paranoia and worrying as his condition from initial contact with the transporter entity gets worse.
    Together with his phobia these are the only real sources of tension for the story. They should have really had more focus on the investigation of the missing crew, but it seems like one of those episodes where the most of the primary cast were given time off.

As such the pace is slower than an action packed episode, though it doesnt detract from the quality. No doubt all Still Barclay overcomes his phobia and saves the crew suspended in the transporter buffers.

One of my very favourite episode from the show. Worth a good look, even if only for Dwight Shultz performance as the phobic engineer.