Star Trek: The Next Generation

Remember Me

Aired Unknown Oct 22, 1990 on CBS

• Bet Brannon Braga liked this one!

This high concept Dr. Crusher mystery episode is carried by Gates McFadden's finest performance in the series. Reminiscent of "The Twilight Zone", the stages of the episode are nicely paced, and the conclusion (unlike too many other Star Trek mystery episodes) is satisfying and fun. The success of "Remember Me" would lead to more Star Trek episodes of this kind in the future ("Frame of Mind", "Whispers", "Projections".)
  • A fine example how resolving a mystery in the middle of the episode, can destroy a great plot.

7.2
    I must say, this could have been one of the best episodes ever, if not for the fact that the writers couldn’t decide if they were writing a classic detective story or another of the ‘Wesley to the rescue!’ ones.

The first half of the episode is simply marvelous and brilliantly plotted. You can actually feel the tension rising, first slowly, then faster and then, in the bridge scene with Picard and Crusher you just feel your pulse accelerating and you must ask aloud ‘what the hell is going on here!’… and unfortunately you get the answer. It doesn’t matter that the events after that are even more ’exciting’, how can they be? You already know all the answers! It’s like hearing ‘the butler did it’ in the middle of Agata Christie’s novel! It’s just not the same…

What were they afraid of? That the audience was going to have a simultaneous heart attack from the overload of the excitement? Well, we won’t find out, won’t we?

IF they didn’t reveal everything in the middle, IF they showed everything from doctor Crusher’s POV like at the beginning, IF they gave us one answer at the time, not shove all of them down our throats when at least expected, finally, IF they didn’t make such a gigantic (an unnecessary) shift in the category of the episode, I could have given it 10 points. It’s gets as much as it gets because still, it was fun to watch, although only first 20 minutes.
  • Leave it to Wesley and his experiments. This time he loses his mother in a warp bubble. Unknown to Beverly Crusher, her universe is collapsing. She notices odd things her former mentor, Dr. Dalen Quaice is not in his quarters. No one has seen him aboard t

Leave it to Wesley and his experiments. This time he loses his mother in a warp bubble. Unknown to Beverly Crusher, her universe is collapsing. She notices odd things her former mentor, Dr. Dalen Quaice is not in his quarters. No one has seen him aboard the "Enterprise". One by one Beverly's friends & crew members disappear. She notices a strange energy force, which is infact Wesley's attempt to bring her out of the warp bubble. Now with the help of "the traveler", Wesley manages to bring his mother back. I rate this one a 8.6 for sci-fi mystery.
  • A brilliant first half is ruined by a terrible second half.

The other reviewer is right - this episode is ruined by two terrible choices made by the writers/producers.

The first awful decision was to give away the ending about halfway through the episode. It's not really comprehensible because the Beverly-figuring-things-out plot still has some way to go when we find out what is really going on. Couldn't they have waited 10-15 minutes, at least?

Of course, that sin alone would be almost forgiveable. Unfortunately, they had to jam in an awful "Wesley saves the day", with Traveler mumbo jumbo thrown into the mix for good measure. This sequence is just agony to watch.

It's a real shame, because the beginning of the episode is really, really good - a fantastic premise developed in just the right way. It could have been one of the best episodes in the series. Instead, it is maybe best turned off after Captain Picard is whisked off the bridge and Beverly remains alone as the sole crew member of the Enterprise.
  • science made exciting

This was one of my favorite episodes because for me it represents all that I love about TNG. while TOS was mainly dramatic and about interpersonal relationships, I prefer the general focus of TNG to the intersection of technology and moral choices.

I agree with the other reviewers...I wish that they had delayed the 'reveal' until the last 5 minutes when Beverly is trying to figure out how the heck to get off the ship. When she 'maps the universe' and sees that it has the same shape as Wesley's bubble, that should've been the reveal. Then the mad dash to engineering.

The first half IS really creepy, though. People start disappearing, first unimportant people then ones who we all care about. If you have any sense of claustraphobia, this episode will scare the bejeezes about of you!

This is one of the episodes I always think of in my favorites list, along with Picard becoming a Borg, the little scorpions silently taking over Starfleet (grossest moment of all TNG when they blow that dude up!), the episode where they all devolve (Barkley being a fav), and the last Moriarty episode.
  • Twilight Zone in space!

A great episode with a disappointing ending. I still rate it high because it was awesomely creepy, and very well-acted by Gates McFadden. There aren't a lot of Beverly-centric episodes so I'm glad they could write one for her. I was surprised when she never checked her medical officer's log... I thought that would be the first obvious thing to do since the show started with her talking about her friend coming on board. Not that it matters, it's just one cool thing they could have added. I love how the episode progressed, especially Picard's reaction to everything. When it was just one person missing he believed her wholeheartedly and had the entire ship involved in solving the mystery. By the end of the disappearances, he thought it completely natural that the two of them be flying a huge spaceship with enough rooms to house over 1,000 people all by themselves. The progression of the disappearances, the diminishing crew numbers and the eerie music all combined to make this one of the best Twilight Zone episodes, but on the Enterprise. Still, why did they have to reveal the mystery so soon?! Nobody would have ever imagined it was Beverly in the bubble, so why ruin the surprise? When the vortex appeared, it deceived the viewer into thinking that's where everyone was disappearing to. Brilliant! There was no need for the traveler. I'm not even sure what he did that Wesley wasn't doing before. Here is my own rewrite of the ending, if the traveler could take me through a warp bubble and make me a writer on TNG:

After everyone is gone and Beverly is left by herself, we see her have a quick breakdown before getting her head together and starting to ask the computer questions. The sequence happens exactly as it does in the episode, only a bit longer with more questions because we need a few extra minutes now that we're not going back and forth to the two realities and we still don't know what's going on. She realizes the universe is getting smaller, so she asks the computer to give her a visual of the universe. Before she has a chance to look, the vortex comes back a third time and starts to suck her in. She grabs the chair to fight it, and then finally gives up. We see her stare into the vortex first with fear, and then with a look of sad acceptance as if to say, "better to get sucked into a vortex than die alone from a collapsing universe." She lets go, flies into the vortex and the camera pans over to the computer image of the universe, which is Wesley's bubble. She comes out on the other side, no traveler, happy reunion, and is told what happened. Just as good if she sees the bubble first and then jumps into the vortex like it happened on the show, but I think it would be cool for her to give up completely and be totally surprised when she comes through on the other end.