Star Trek: The Next Generation

Reunion

Aired Unknown Nov 05, 1990 on CBS

• A thrilling and moving Klingon/Worf episode....

.... Following the arc set by "The Emissary" and "The Sins of the Father" (two great episodes of "Star Trek: The Next Generation"), "Reunion" is a thrilling and moving Klingon/Worf-centered episode, marking Jonathan Frakes' second directed episode.

Suzie Plakson makes her return to the series as K'Ehleyr, Worf's ex - not only is she perfectly cast and extremely solid in this episode but she is also a total babe. The character's relationship with Worf features a lot of laughs as well as some very compelling moments. "Reunion" is also notable for Worf meeting his and K'Ehleyr's son Alexander, a character that would continue on through "The Next Generation" and "Deep Space Nine." This story line (hence: the "Reunion") is very compelling as Worf comes to terms with his new found fatherhood.

The personal themes of family surrounding Worf's role in the story are great but "Reunion" also sees a pretty thrilling political arc. The plot is closely tied to that especially of "The Sins of the Father," so one is greatly benefited by seeing that episode first, with Picard once again being drawn into Klingon politics - this time the stakes are much higher than they were before.

"Reunion" is, for my money, one of the best episodes of the series' fourth season.
  • A Great Worf Episode

This Worf episode (a sequel to "Emissary" and "Sins of the Father") is expertly directed by Jonathan Frakes, moving at a breathless pace that keeps the viewer on the edge of his or her seat with its bold choices and incredible events. Like most of the Klingon episodes, the guest stars are great, Michael Dorn is excellent, and Patrick Stewart knocks it out of the park.
  • When I was younger, I found the Klingon storylines boring, and always skipped these sort of episodes. Now that I am older, I can appreciate them a lot more.

This episode is a pivotal moment in the history of Star Trek. We see the introduction of several key characters including Alexander, Worf's son, and Gowron, the new Klingon Chancellor. We also see the death of both K'Ehlyer and Duras, key people in Worf's life.

Although this episode features a lot of politics, I found it very enjoyable to watch because it is good to see where the great story starts. This episode was really the catalyst for many Klingon featured episodes to come, and if you enjoy the Klingon aspect of Trek, I highly recommend it!
  • The “Enterprise” is approached by a Klingon ship carrying K’Ehleyr. K’Ehleyr is a half human Klingon ambassador. K’Ehleyr requests to board the “Enterprise”. Lt. Worf becomes agitated by this action.

The “Enterprise” is approached by a Klingon ship carrying K’Ehleyr. K’Ehleyr is a half human Klingon ambassador. K’Ehleyr requests to board the “Enterprise”. Lt. Worf becomes agitated by this action. When K’Ehleyr beams aboard the “Enterprise” she has a small companion with her. The matter she needs to discuss is K'Mpec, the Klingon leader is dying. It seems as if K'Mpec has been poisoned but by who? K'Mpec asks Picard to oversee the process of choosing a new leader and to find the culprit who poisoned him. We find in this episode the companion known as Alexander is Worf’s son.
  • Another episode in the Klingon arc. Very good but a little too soap-operatic in parts.

A follow-up to two earlier episodes, "The Emissary" and "Sins of the Father", "Reunion" ties together two major threads in Worf's arc on TNG. The first time I saw it, I thought it was great; in retrospect, the episode has both strengths and weaknesses.

The strengths are obvious – Klingon's politics and Worf's attempts to fit in with his people. Robert Reilly, in his first appearance as Gowron, takes the creepy bug-eyed Klingon role and runs with it. Gowron was among the first DS9-ish characters on the show – not quite a bad guy, not quite a good guy.

The climax of the episode, culminating in Duras's spectacular death, is also worth mentioning as a plus.

The weaknesses are similar to those of "The Emissary". Lots of melodramatic talk here between Worf and his lover, but since we don't see her on the show much, we don't really care. Or at least I don't.

This episode is also noteworthy as the first appearance of Worf's son, Alexander. Most future episodes to feature him would be mediocre at best.