Star Trek: The Next Generation

CBS (ended 1994)

Gislef

Star Trek: The Next Generation Fan Reviews (131)

• One of the best shows ever!

The best story and characters of Star Trek: The Next Generation it's one of the best series ever!
  • One of the Most Intelligent Shows to Grace the Air-Waves

Today, we find televisions shows to be more often than not one-dimensional, and with good cause: the majority of people love one-dimensional television shows that often do not raise cerebral themes nor query the mind to life's deeper questions. The proof behind this theory lies within the usual top 10 shows here at tv.com, but I digress from this point. The main point is that Star Trek: The Next Generation is a show that is for the intelligent viewer, and shows like this do not exist in prominence anymore Themes such as humanity's purpose, galactic politics (which of course draw upon and translate to the politics of the world today), and the discovery of the unknown permeate throughout this series from episode one to episode 176.

The Next Generation follows the 24th century crew on board the Starship Enterprise D captained by Jean-luc Picard. Joining him on his discovery of the galaxy are Will Riker, Data, Worf, Geordi LaForge, Deanna Troi, Beverly Crusher, and Wesley Crusher. Each character has a unique and integral background within the show, and they help us relate to the show with various allusions to people we know and understand. Picard draws upon the persona of a French philosophe of the Enlightenment (Picard is French after all). He has a strict set of high morals which do not falter throughout the series (let's not talk about the movies) and always relies on them to make the correct, well thought-out judgments. Picard is a natural-born leader as well for he radiates self-confidence and intellect. Picard is joined by his first Commander Will Riker. Riker evolves in the series from a young and eager star fleet officer to a smart, wise, and mature "Number 1" as Picard refers to him as. We find Riker to be very cunning in his tactics not only as a commander, but also with the ladies. Many of us headstrong males can relate well to Riker in these regards. Lieutenant-Commander Data is perhaps the most interesting character in that he is an Android possessing amazing powers who would trade them all for the flaws of humanity. The security chief Lieutenant-Commander Worf is the first Klingon serving in Star Fleet, and there are times we find him having to fight his natural tendencies as a Klingon when he needs to conform to Star Fleet standards, but having been raised by humans, Worf is able to keep himself in check. Geordi LaForge runs engineering as a blind man yet with a sight-enhancing visor which allows him in some respects to see more than even the average person can. He is an every-man who always gets the job done and exceeds expectations. Deanna Troi is a half Betazoid who utilizes her gifts as the ships counselor. She understands the emotions of people so well, and sometimes I imagine myself wanting to talk to her about my meager problems. Doctor Beverly Crusher is an inquisitive and moral doctor (quite similar to Picard in some respects), and is open to new ideas in the world of medicine and even beyond in the scientific community. She is joined by her son, Wesley Crusher who is a genius comparable to Mozart-as stated in the show. His gifts serve the crew of the Enterprise in various creative ways.

Throughout the show, this unique crew chemically reacts with each other to form a new substance: that of efficiency, discovery, and righteousness. We leave this show knowing and loving this crew individually and as a whole. The genius of the show and many other shows is creating this bond with the audience and characters. Beyond that, Star Trek makes us think inwardly after we watch the show, something few shows do. The themes are very deep, even spiritual. I encourage each and every person to watch and think big about what you see. I leave you with this quote, "The human race is a remarkable creature, one with great potential, and I hope Star Trek has helped to show us what we can be if we believe in ourselves and our abilities." Gene Roddenberry, author and creator of Star Trek.
  • Boldy Going Where No Sci-Fi Has Ever Been... Star Trek - The Next Generation is one of Science Fictions proudest moments - A profound and timeless classic that endulges the immagination and inspires the soul.

There is an unspoken, unwritten moral code that unites thousands around the world - a way of living inspired by a TV show - this is that show.

Set 75 years after the original show, the Flag Ship of the Federation, Galaxy Class - Enterprise D is on the same mission as her namesake - to explore the Universe.

Their adventures vary from the introspective, to adventurous, to playful, escoteric, artistic, scientific and moralistic.

Always, though, the underlying thread is drive for the betterment of all. Now, however, there is the Prime Directive which states that the Federation cannot interfere with a pre-warp culture. There is also the Federation Charter; a set of standards and rules that the crew must abide by.

This is a Star Trek Universe that is removed from the original series. Strange life forms aren't scary monsters - just creatures with the right to live. I think it's said in one of the TNG movies that if they met Kirk or Spock they'd probably have to arrest them!

Born in the midst of the emergence of Political Correctness - TNG tackles serious philosophical issues in the guise of brilliant story telling. Conversely it also touches on the individual - giving valuable insights on every day issues.

The cast is lead by Patrick Stewart (X-Men) as Captain Jean Luc Picard. Stewart at the time was an accomplished stage actor and lends his Shakespearian experience to the callibre of the episodes. In an interview with Stewart he stated that when the filming of TNG commenced he was staying in a hotel in L.A. - he didn't bother to unpack his suitcase becasue he felt the venture wouldn't live past the filming of the first few episodes.

Stewart also commented that a mature bald British Captain, a blind man at the helm and a yellow skinned Android was an odd combination that the fans of Trek would reject.

It is Stewart however who carries the show for its first two seasons and he gains momentum up to the final 7th season. He is passionate and punctual in his portrayals. The first season was poor, however, in the boom times of the 80's they believed in giving shows like this 2 years to grab an audience and by the second season the show is vastly improved. Seaons 4 - 7 are some of the best sci-fi you'll ever see. For people new to TNG - the finale of Season 3 is the best place to start.

In the tradition of the original Trek, in TNG we are treated with countless guest stars like; Kelsey Grammer (Frasier) Leonard Nimoy (Spock) James Doohan (Scotty) Stephen Hawking, Ashley Judd, De Forest Kelly (Bones) Kirsten Dunst, Terri Hatcher and Tim Russ (Tuvok) - just to name a few.

Easily the No.1 science fiction tv show ever made - this series sparked 2 spin-offs; the squeaky clean Star Trek Voyager and the wonderfully sublime, Deep Space Nine.

There aren't many shows that can change your life - TNG is one of them.
  • I had doubts about this show after the first season, but during the second and third seasons, the promise of a Star Trek that rivaled the top shows on the networks came through. Long Live, Capt. Picard and his Enterprise crew!

Although it helps to be a Star Trek fan to LOVE the show, you can get a good hour of television from this show. The writing equals and sometimes surpasses standard TV fare.

The cast is a great ensemble acting team. Each actor supports the other to fit into the Trek universe. They join the Original Trek actors and bring life to the show and stories.
  • The continuing adventures of the Starship Enterprise. This series solidified Star Trek as one of the two most important science fiction series in the history of TV and the cinema. This series spawned three additional series and many more movies.

What does one say about one of the iconic series in the history of television. The first Star Trek series became the prequel to this series with its two seasons and many movies. There was a call from the fans to do something new within the popular Star Trek universe. The Next Generation was that new TV series.

Starring Patrick Stewart (Picard), Johnathan Frakes (Riker), Brent Spiner (Data), Gates McFadden (Dr. Crusher), Marina Sirtis (Troi), and Michael Dorn (Worf). This show solidified many acting careers and launched many others. Frakes became a very well thought of director of Television and Movies and you still see his name pop up from time to time. Dorn along with Colm Meaney (Miles O'Brien) went on to play in the Deep Space Nine series for another seven years after the completion of this series. Stewart who was well known to begin with went on to play the leader of the X-Men series Dr. Xavier and is an internationally acclaimed star. The Enterprise itself was the main character in this series as it seems to be in each series it is part of. The updated version of the Enterprise or the 1701-D is an amazing ship with an endless amount of possible stories to tell. In the tradition of the US Navy and the Federation of Planets the Enterprise strives to serve and protect the citizens of the many planets of the Federation. Serving with civility first with the capability of a powerful response if necessary. Data played by Bret Spiner was one of the first successful depictions of a an android, a created human like entity that can really think and learn emotions on his own.

The possibility of life in the Star Trek universe is a wonderful vision of where man might go in the future. Generally very positive without a lot of the pregidous one sees today and an acceptance of everyone no matter the differences. Sort of a Utopian view of the future but I believe that is one of the charms of the show and its writing in general.

Eventually this show brought a number of major motion pictures to the big screen and a number of other TV shows. We owe this show for the recent Abrams Star Trek motion picture and I feel this show will continue to be a catalyst for the Star Trek universe well into the future.
  • A masterfully created sci-fi series.

If only there were more.....Thats my opinion. I would have loved this seried to continue. I have the dvd`s, I watch from the beginning to the end. This is one of the greatest Sci-Fi series to ever hit the screen. Every episode showed a moral value. Kinda like a modern day Little House on the Prairie. I have watched every single episode. Honestly, there were a few that I didn`t care for but I would guess to say that the poor episodes made up only about .5% Even the episodes I found less entertaining were better than most of our modern sci-fi shows or might I say sci-fi attempts. I can only hope that someone, somewhere will look into creating something that follows the same path. Very little cursing, no nudity, etc. and still the series was magnificant. Thats my 2 cents worth anyway.
  • Personally speaking: the definitive Star Trek series!

I didn't want to like it. I didn't even want to watch it because I felt it was a rip off of the original series that never got a chance.
    But the premise continued to reign, the stories were mostly excellent and the cast of characters was to die for. I think when all those factors come together, a series almost can't miss (unless you're CBS with "Moonlight"!).
    The only character I never really warmed to until the movie "First Contact" was Deanna Troi, and then, even she had me on her side. To this day, one of my all time favourite TV characters is "Data", because of the originality of his character and because of the brilliant portrayal by Brent Spiner.
    This is one DVD set that gets viewed...a lot!
  • A really good show I must say.

I have just finished Star Trek: The Next Generation. This is a good show as I had stated. But this show doesn't even compare to Star Trek: Voyager. But this show has it's perks. For say it had Data and it could split into two sections (saucer and battle). TNG was a good show and now unfortunatly it must end. Now however I am starting Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I am really looking foward to it. But alas I shall miss TNG. It was good while it lasted. Just like Voyager I suggest this to anyone with love of Star Trek and fantasy/fiction.
  • Science(!)-fiction at it's very best!

This show has been a constant source of joy to me over the years. A show where I can put on any given episode, and have a great time watching. The great thing about Roddenberrys universe is that it is a positive vision of the future as opposed to the vast number of bleak and depressing visions. A superb cast spearheaded by classical actor Patrick Stewart delivers conflict and drama, and manages to include morality without being overly pedantic.

It is very rare when you can say that a show has changed your perception of life, but this one surely and definitely has.
  • This is probably to me the Greatest show ever!!!

Star Trek the Next Generation, well, what I can say about this show would certainly take up more space than allotted. In short however, take the Star Trek genre and give it more flair of real life issues than the original. Yes, the original did that to an extent, but there is something about STTNG. I Always come away from a STTNG show with something endearing, something to think about. I know it sounds somewhat corny for a Sci-Fi show but, within all the action and entertainment, is woven a story revealing some aspect of the human condition. It's just a great show overall!!
  • meet the new crew of star trek the next generation. one of my favourite crew in the star trek stories.

when it first aired on our screens i thought well, this show is so diffrent from the other star trek. new crew, much better ship than the first enterprise and i loved the storie lines. i fell in love with captain picard. what made he stand out the most from any other captain is the he cares for his crew and his ship. when he lost tasha in skin of evil. you could tell how much she meant to him. each week you got to be there with them as they explore the qalaxy and meeting new races. and new adventages.
  • Better than all of the of the other versions of Star Trek. Best episodes starting with season 1 through season 7. Or in other words, all of them.

Star Trek has had its ups and downs, but this is one of its ups. I own all of the episodes, and watched almost all of them. Never think that I think that the other versions are stupid. By all means all the other versions are awesome. I just think highest of The Next Generation. The cast has original characters, including Patrick Stewart (Captain Picard), and personalities for the job. The object of attention to the captain is obvious: save the ship and the crew. He would sacrifice his life for his crew. The Enterprise has been through countless generations of admiration, including The Next Generation. I highly praise this TV show as a collectable series, and a Classic watch-over.
  • This show was one of my favorite shows when I was growing up. It was, I have to admit rather cheesy, not that that's bad though. It was part of what made the show what it was, a classic - one that fans will remember and cherish and watch with their kids.

Star Trek: The Next Generation, was a show that was ahead of it's time with it's interesting plotlines, good acting, and good special effects. Sure, some of the episodes are rather dated, but still they're fun to watch even though some years have past since the last time the show aired originally.

I still get a kick whenever a re-run of it shows on tv. I try and take the time to watch it, due to the good actors and actresses that were a part of the cast. I liked the chemistry that they had, along with the humor that was there as well. Personally, I don't mind a good cheesy tv show myself, just as long as it wasn't too cheesy. Star Trek: TNG usually never crossed that line very often, and when it did, they didn't go too overboard with it.

My favorite episode was the last one that was aired: "Tapestry" (if I remember correctly). The last scene in that episode was especially poignant, where Captain Picard finally got to play a game of poker with his crew. I know that it's rather cheesy and sentimental, but it was a good ending to a good series.

Shows have come and gone since this show was on the air, and none of them have been as fun to watch as this one was. It was and still is a classic in my eyes.
  • Best Trek ever thus far.

The original Star Trek with Shatner, Nimoy, etc. is an awesome series considering the time frame of the original series and some very cutting edge FX and tackling of social issues relevant for it's time. (1965-67)

But TNG brought so much more to the Trek series line. The show has retained a freshness that thus far still gives the show a timeless feel to it. The FX still look incredible, the shows characters have much more depth to them and a lot of episodes deal with social issues that are relevant to humanity in the past, present and quite possibly the future as well. The movies that the program inspired are also among the best films of the big screen Trek releases.

A lot of the science of the show is based on theoretical possibilities as well. The writers did their homework and there are a number of books that explain the science of TNG in further detail.

A classic series for the serious or casual Trek/Sci Fi fan. I truly miss this show a great deal. It excels in ways I could elaborate on with many more words. This is truly GREAT television.
  • So sad to see this gone...(15 years too late)

I loved TNG from day one. It was a part of my mother's "family time". My sister, My mother and I would watch TNG every week. It was good clean excitement. The world of Startrek is one future that can only come about if all the good in the world triumphs, and sitting there with my family it was something I wanted so badly to come true. The Actors became these people over the seasons, and the stories they told were so expertly interwoven that no episode is truly independent.
    Gene Roddenberry is a god among men with a creative vision that is unmatched anywhere in history.
  • My favorite show ever! It represents Gene Roddenberry's true vision of how the future should be.

It gives hope for the future. That someday we will have peace among all nations on Earth with no poverty, no one without a career, and everyone working to better themselves, and in turn better the human race. No money to cause greed or jealosy. Just the want to be more than we are. It has had a huge impact on the technology world. Creating the ideas that the inventors of this generation took and ran with. Like mp3 players and laser surgery. There is so much more that was inspired by Star Trek. I could go on forever but I won't. It is the reason that I get up in the morning, hoping someday the world will realize that before we go exploring new worlds we have to be together on our own world.
  • Make It So!!!

If there was any place in time i would rather be than here and now it would be aboard the Starship Enterprise C,D or E i'm not bothered LOL. I think that if the characters were real, i would quite gladly leave my life now and go with them. I like the idea of the whole world living in harmony, not that i'm part of the GodSquad or anything, but isnt that waht we all really want? Anyway just for the chance to meet Captain Jean Luc Picard and have him stand up straighten his jacket and congratulate me on my transfer to the Enterprise (read it in his voice it will sound better). All i can say is.........make it so!
  • This was Star Trek at it's finest!

Now some may disagree that this series was the best, and I say that you have that right. I grew up watching re-runs of the original. I also made sure that I watched every one of the animated series, and the Star Trek movies. Anytime that Star Trek was on, I was there. Having said that, when Star Trek: TNG came out, I was addicted from the first show. To me, this was the best series that the franchise put out. I hate it that the show didn't do well in the movies, but I believe that the writers at that time are to blame. Also, do not think that I do not like the other series, because I do. I just think this was the best put out as of today.
  • This has to be my favourite out of all the Star Trek series and it is thanks to its great cast and writers for giving us such great episodes to watch. It was truly ahead of its time.

Star Trek: The Next Generation is my favourite one out of all the Star Trek series because of its great characters, adventures and drama. Some people think that Star Trek is all about the futuristic technology and science, but that is not true for me. It has great drama and in every episode it doesn't fail to capture the audience and keep us there wanting more. The idealistic view of the future might look bleak now but it gave the show a great base to build on and gives me hope that one day we might actually be able to live in relative peace. I believe that its actors set it appart from the other Star Trek series because they make the show and keep the characters alive and unique with their strange ways and funny quirks. I truly believe that Star Trek: TNG is one of the best shows of all time and hope that people don't get put off by the stereotyping and watch the show.
  • Star trek the next generation is my favorite series in the star trek world. I like the original series to but this show is my favorite. on a scale of 1 to 10000000000000 I rate this show 10000000000000. I like Data and Picard the best.

This is the best star trek series of the late 1980's. I know of a web site this you can get star trek uniforms you can get the original series,the next generation, first contact,star trek voyager,etc. So the website is www.clicket.com. Now please do not report me I'm begging you.
  • the best prog ever

absolutly awesome, should still be on!absolutly awesome, should still be on!absolutly awesome, should still be on!absolutly awesome, should still be on!absolutly awesome, should still be on!absolutly awesome, should still be on!absolutly awesome, should still be on!absolutly awesome, should still be on!absolutly awesome, should still be on!absolutly awesome, should still be on!absolutly awesome, should still be on!absolutly awesome, should still be on!
  • Happy childhood memories!

Has it been so long already? I remember the first time I saw star trek: TNG, I was glued to the tv every time they sent a new episode, or old episode for that matter. After I watched the first season I thought that was it... Imagine my reaction when a friend of mine told me that there were more seasons being made :) It would be great to see new episodes, but we all know that will never happen, so how about a compromise Paramount? Bring us the old episodes with updated special effects! You're doing it for TOS for god's sake :D
  • THE BEST STAR TREK SERIES

Star Trek: The Next Generation is the best Star Trek series it takes the original show had expands on it and takes Star Trek to the next level to the best Sci-Fi show ever made all the characters are great apart from Wesley but every character is interesting and changes from beginning to end I would have liked a 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12 season of The Next Generation then the rubbish that was Voyager, I just hope some time in the future a new Star Trek series comes along and achieves half of what The Next Generation did.
  • A sequel that is just as good as the original

Star trek: the next generation is just as good if not better then the original. With clever and intereting plot twists it picks up where Jim kirk and the boys left off. since I was less then 10 years old when the show was cancelled i couldnt fully appreciate it till reruns but it didnt take me long to realize that this show is one of the best in TV history and that I shouldnt be left out due to my age. If you like star trek the original series just a little bit you have to give this show a chance it will not let you down.
  • Greatest Sci-Fi series of its time

People that watch science fiction seem to forget that Star Trek: The Next Generation was filmed from 1987 to 1994, and that it accomplished the breakthrough technical wizardry we now see in other sci-fi movies and television shows.

It was Star Trek: The Next Generation (STTNG) that accomplished the "orange screen", reducing by 2/3 the cost of shooting space sequences. It was STTNG that finally allowed for a very advanced and yet BELIEVABLE "evolved" human behavior involved in space travel.

I admired Captain Jean-Luc Picard for his reserved Brit style, and the tension between him and Dr. Beverly Crusher. Who did not like watching Lieutenant Commander Data and Lieutenant Geordi LaForge spar over human behavior? What about the short brilliant life of Lieutenant Natasha Yar? Who didn't tune in to see that? Commander William Riker was amazing to watch, as he grew a beard and a conscience -- while still being able to keep up with the great Lieutenant Worf, the only Klingon (as yet) in Star Fleet!?

Those of you out there trying still to wage the Star Wars - Star Trek battle for supremacy -- grow up! They are both inspiring stories in different universes.
  • this sci fi drama follows the journey of the Enterprise.

I really like this set of series. It stands on its own within the Star Trek universe. It expands the world created in the original 60s show. The Next Generation shows a world that takes place a century right after the original,it is funny, this one is a new take on that franchise. It may never be as good as the original, but it provides an adventurous storytelling that made Captain Kirk and Spock classic icons. its still as good as any trek show there is out there. I definitely recommend it.
  • Stepping in the footsteps of Capt. Kirk, this sci fi drama follows the journey of the Enterprise - D and is set in the 24th century.

It stands on its own within the realm of the Star Trek universe. It expands the world created in the original 60s show. The Next Generation shows a world that takes place a century after the original, this one is a new take on that franchise. It may never be as good as the original, but it provides an adventurous storytelling that made Captain Kirk and Spock classic icons. This show maybe older than Voyager or Enterprise, its still as good as any trek show there is out there. I definitely recommend it. This will become a valuable part of my DVD collections.
  • My best childhood friend

Star Trek : TNG was one of the best sci-fi series for its time. It was both a revival and continuation of a great franchise. But it was also original and inventive. Like George Lucas did , Gene Roddonbery created its own universe. It is far more idealistic and visionery. With TNG it evolves a takes a great leap forward. Unfortunetely I could watch only first two seasons during its first run. Later I collected DVDs of all episodes.

And Cast : My fascination with Patrick Stewart started with Star Trek. He was just amazing as charismatic and thoughtful Captain Jean-Luc Picard. Patrick Stewart was just showing how to be a great actor with each episode. Just perfect. Jonathan Frakes was also quite qood as Kirk-like First Officer William Riker with his unortodox approaches. I don\\\'t think there might be a word to describe great performance of Brent Spiner as innocent but evolving android Data. Michael Dorn as Security Officer Worf represents integrity , courage and honor. Handicapped but innovative chief engineer Geordi LaForge was also a quite character. Gates McFadden as idealistic Dr. Beverly Crusher and Marina Sirtis as emotional counseller Deanna Troi were adding a quite feminine air to series.
  • awesome show

i was not even born when the original show aired, but i watched it in reruns on week day afternoons. i had seen all the movies and was a big fan. then in the fall of 89 i saw the next generation. i was hooked. i have seen every episode several times and still enjoy the show.
  • It is about the crew of the starship enterprise who are on a mission to discover about the far reaches of outer space and about the worlds thye visit.

this show is great i am so glad that this show is back on air and that i can watch it daily on G4 tv. i remember watching this show when i was in the second grade, i loved it then and i still love it now, and i will never stop being a trekie forever!!!
< 1 2 3 4 5