Star Trek: The Next Generation

CBS (ended 1994)

Gislef

Star Trek: The Next Generation Fan Reviews (131)

• This show has every aspect you would expect from star trek!

I just started watching this show a little while back, and i LOVED it. I am addicted to this show! I would buy it on dvd if it wasnt so darn expensive ;). This is a great show for anyone, star trek fan or not. Please watch this show, you will never be the same again.
  • Star Trek tng is probably the best sci-fi show out there.

Star Trek tng is probably the best sci-fi show out there. It is one of those shows that you just cannot stop watching. I even skip classes to find out of the crew of the Enterprise get out of their current peril. I really like episode that have "Q" in them. I will move my schedule to watch a good Star Trek tng episode that involves "Q". I was elated to find that Spike TV started showing 4 Star Trek tng episodes on Fridays. With my aim I have a special away message that I put up while I am watching Star Trek tng.
  • The best Star Trek

As a general rule, I dislike most Star Treks, Voyager was good at times - but definitely fell apart before the end, I could barely watch Enterprise, the original was before my time, and the less said about Deep Space Nine the better.

However, The Next Generation is truly a sci-fi great - although it has its bad episodes, many episodes are true greats. These are usually episodes involving time, the Borg or Q. The crew actually interacted with each other and the Picard could not only run a huge ship, but could also talk in depth about philosophy and other such matters. Also, The Next Generation actually has a good episode as its ending, which is seems most other Star Treks did not.

The movies based on The Next Generation are great too ... well, the earlier ones are - First Contact was, in my opinion, the best movie, and the last good one.
  • The adventures of the starship enterprise captianed by Jean-Luc Picard.

The best Star Trek series no doubt. It has the most emotion and drama out of any of them. It has some interesting and original episodes. It also has the best crew Riker, Picard, Troi, Crusher, Geordi, Data, and Worf. The best coolest Star Trek series by far. A must see.
  • I've watched this show since I was one week old.

This show started one week after I was born, and my parents watched it. I don't really remember it, but it still counts. The first time I really watched it was 1995 when I was 8, and watched the tapes. We collected about 200 total Star trek tapes, which was a lot of money in the time before DVDs. Anyways, this was a show that I could watch as a little kid, and like it as much as I could any kids show. And it's gotten even better for me as I've gotten older, and have learned how to understand some of the complicated elements. The characters are deep, the stories are mind-openers, and it opened the doors for all the science fiction that came after it.
  • This is the best Star Trek series of them all. It had great characters and great story lines. I would recommend this show to anyone.

Many of the best Star Trek episodes were part of this series and it is always worth watching. Captain Picard was the best captain ever.
  • If the original Star Trek series proved ground braking sci-fi TV way ahead of its time, think of The Next Generation as the mature, perfected version.

ST: TNG had everything going for it:
    It was fortunate enough to be produced at a time when a decent budget allowed for effects that were both spectacular for its time and are realistic enough so as not to deter future generations from appreciating the show.
    It was fortunate to have one of the best casts in TV history. While most of the cast was great and had great chemistry, I have to mention two particular cast members, Patrick Stewart and Brent Spinner who gave masterful renditions of their characters (Capt. Jean-Luc Picard and Data) making them my favorite TV/Movie characters of all time.
    The effects and the cast would be nothing of course, if TNG was not blessed with some amazing scripts. While a few mediocre scripts crept in, there were so many memorable and well-written scripts that set a really high standard for sci-fi shows to come (usually embarrassingly high to follow). During its run, ST: TNG brilliantly explored material that could stand as the basis of good sci-fi movies (and some of this material did indeed find its way in movie scripts). And as this was not enough, there were the masterpieces... Episodes that will be deeply appreciated and remembered by fans and non-fans (like Inner Light, Best of Both Worlds etc).
    Then you have the little things that matter to sci-fi fans: First, there was a strong sense continuity. Even if the story lines were 1 or 2 eps long making the series very easy to watch (which is not the case for B5 for example), each storyline affected the future episodes. Also, the series made sure it integrated well in the Star Trek universe, as to not alienate the most serious fans. Secondly, although TNG made some scientific mistakes, they were not serious enough to distract savvy viewers.
    Lastly, TNG had some of the greatest recurring characters ever. John De Lancie's "Q", was a delight, Whoopi Goldberg's "Guinan" was a "bartender" character like no other... And then there were the Borg, the ultimate villain, whose "prepare to be assimilated" line is decidedly more hair-raising than the Dalek "exterminate".
    In all, TNG is a solid production that most likely is in the heart of every serious sci-fi fan. It is my personal favorite show of all time and I can only prey that something can rival (or dare I say surpass?) it in the future. 17 Years after it's first run it is not showing signs of aging, proof that a trully superb show can be appreciated by many generations.
  • I had my doubts when ST:NG began.

I had my doubts when ST:NG began. I was excited and worried. Would I like it? Would it live up to the original series that I had watched from the first episode? Although it took some time to adust to the new crew, the answer was a resounding YES. The values and philosophy of the original was carried over into this show. There were interesting missions, dangerous missions and comic-relief missions. Lessons were taught and learned. Like the original, it reflected its time and the politics surrounding us here on Earth. I hope one day we can live up to its ideals.
  • Whether you liked the original Trek or not, 'The Next Generation is a true Trek across space

It's a show that had very well written stories, and each week there was a different hero from the no named ensign, to the captain himself. Several of the stories developed into true sagas and much of the plots involved many of the original cast. Bringing Spock into ‘The Next Generation was a true piece of art.

You must keep in mind that the budget for ‘The Next Generation was a great deal larger than that of the original show. With that in mind, the special effects were superb, not only for a television show, but for movies as well. The Next Generation brought some very cool gadgets into our lives including tricorders, androids, and, of course, the most dreamed about invention the Holodeck! What a great thing that would be!

While I would never doubt that the original Star Trek series is a classic, after all, they did name a Space Shuttle after the Enterprise, ‘The Next Generation brought the 21st century into our homes each and every Saturday night, and helped us to believe that we can `Boldly go where no man have gone before!'
  • Space The Final Fronter

This show is my 2nd favorate of the Star Trek Saga, 2nd only to Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

This show is a credit to the orignal series.

The crew takes on near impossable tasks and yet come out ontop each time.

I think the death of Tasha in Season 1 is what made this show a winner.

Until that time I have never seen a important memeber of the cast get killed off so early in the series.

That was really a bold move for the time.
  • Engage! Make it so numba one!

Accomplished what the original series couldn't.... huge ratings while not watering down the story. Perhaps the newly deceases Enterprise could have
    learned from TNG. This show made you think about it days after you watched the episodes on wendesday. By far the best Star Trek series, great acting, great stories, and good character development over the seven year run. A must see series for any sci fi fan! ;)
  • TNG is a fantasticly crafted sci-fi masterpiece. Recognition should be paid to all those involved in special effects on the TNG team.

From Encounter at Farpoint to Best of Both Worlds; every single episode of TNG demoonstrates far superior, ahead of its time SCi-FI. Comparing effects of SCI-FI film/tv from the ninties to TNG shows how far ahead it was. Was anyone else immpressed with the whoe way TNG revolutionised interior starship design ? Typical Eightees, lets bring in a ships councellor. Setting aside the cheesy ship heircachy and overly blissfull character interaction and you can really start to draw your attention to the detail and attention paid in every episode to special effects. Can i get an A-Men people ???? TNG, in short, 15 years ahead on TV Series special effects.
  • A little controversial as it hardly had anything to do with Kirk and company, but wow!

With the original cast proving a huge hit on the big screen, Gene Roddenberry decided it was time to bring his creation back to the small screen with a new Enterprise, a new crew, and a new mission "to boldly go where no one has gone before." The result was Star Trek: The Next Genaration.

It's difficult in 2005 to realise what a challenge the producers of ST:TNG had on their hands at the series' inception in 1986. Not only did they have to invent a new series, they had to build upon a legend in a way that was both respectful and novel. Moreover, they had to reinvigorate a TV genre that had grown stale, commercially unviable, and discredited. Personally, I feel they pulled it off with brilliant results.

This series is one of the best in the Star Trek franchise. It has tension, suspense, and gives us an even more indepth view into the Trek Universe.

It will always remain one of my all time favourite television shows.

• It was my favorite show. I watched the same episode twice a week, its origal showing and the rerun on Saturdays. I waited the whole summer for the cliffhanger, when the borg ship fired at the enterprise.

Space the final frontier these are the voyages of the star trek enterprise. Its continuing mission to explore new worlds, to seek out new lives and new civilization, to boldy go where no one else has gone before. I think that was the openning of Captain Jean Luke Picard. I watched that show like it was my life.
  • Captain Picard and crew explore strange new worlds in the finest of the Star Trek franchises.

Perhaps the finest science fiction show ever. This show not only had some of the finest actors to ever come from the small screen, but it was the last show to have Roddenberry helming it, and as such it dealt with much more than phasers and warp speed. This was a show that provided a forum for controversial social, ethical and moral issues to be aired in an environment where they would not be explosive. The cast genuinely loved working together and it shows in the on-screen chemistry. This show was truly lightning in a bottle.
  • INCREDIBLE, 1987-1994

Star Trek The Next Generation began in 1987 with 'encounter at farpoint pt I' where The new Enterprise (USS-Enterprise-D) Commanded by Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) met the relentless life form known as Q, on Stardate 41153.7 ,
    Star Trek the next generation stretched for an amazing 7 season's from 1987 to 1994, from 'Encounter at farpoint' to 'All good things pt II'.
    An incredible 177 episodes Captain Jean-Luc Picard battled his way out of the borg collective con-scienceness, faught Rhomulans, Klingon's, Cardasians etc he out-smarted dozens of rases, rescued his crew, protected Wes Crusher (Wil Wheaton) from a rock slide. He is quite simply one of a Legend both on and off the set of Star Trek.
    With the longest series in Star Trek history The Next Generation has proved to be the most famous of the 5 Season's, and is my personal favourite.
  • Flawless series only lacking the plot that keeped Star Treks Voyager crew together.

A great Star Trek series. I gave it same rating as DS9. Personally im not a huge fan of this series. But I do enjoy watching it. Overall there isnt much to complain about. But I thought the cast chemistry in Voyager was better and for that reason I give it.1 lower. Overall its solid and watchable through every season.
  • Practically everyone knows of Star Trek. Well, while the original with Captain Kirk was fine and dandy, this version blows it out of the stratosphere. "Next Generation" is quite possibly the most influential and memorable show of the late 80's early 90's.

Practically everyone knows of Star Trek. Well, while the original with Captain Kirk was fine and dandy, this version blows it out of the stratosphere. "Next Generation" is quite possibly the most influential and memorable show of the late 80's early 90's. Add in the fact that it is perhaps the best version of Star Trek to ever grace the small screen and you have a definate winner. Everything about this show spells out success; the acting (esp. Patrick Stewart) is phenominal, the storylines are much better than the original, the action is solid as are the moments of drama, the same technology factor is there, and even the special effects surpass the norm of its era. All in all, this is a great show and one of the most entertaining science fiction shows ever.

My final review: A great show even if you aren't a "Trekky". If you are, then all the more reason to watch, as this is the pinnacle of your Trek experience.
  • Space... the final frontier...

The fantatic voyages of the fifth starship Enterprise and her amazing crew... a series I hope will be remembered for many years to come... from "Encounter at Farpoint" to "All Good Things...", from Earth to Qo'Nos, it was a wild I loved hopping on all my life... may they all live long and prosper!
  • Star Trek:The Next Generation is my all-time favorite show. The greatest factors that make TNG great are the comraderie among the characters, well thought out stories, the perfect amount of action, and ingenious timing. I enjoy the amazing characters and

Star Trek:The Next Generation is, without a doubt, my all-time favorite show. Every weekday, I wake up looking forward to the three hours between 1:00PM and 3:00 PM. I fully appreciate Spike TV's generous airing of this wonderful classic. I was introduced to Star Trek when I was about five years old. However, I didn't fully appreciate it until about 8 or 9 years ago. The greatest factors that make TNG great are the comraderie and chemistry among the characters, well thought out stories, the perfect amount of action, and ingenious timing. There are many more factors involved in TNG, but these listed are what I see most. However, I enjoy the amazing characters and the actors who portrayed them over all.
    Let's begin with Lt. Commander Geordi LaForge. The Enterprise's chief engineer is not only a genius in his field, but he's a sort of a counselor, as well. Whenever Data had a lesson to learn about being human, Geordi was always able to help him on his way to learning the important lesson. Geordi was also a friend to whomever needed one. His generous spirit always made newcomers feel welcome on board the Enterprise. Also, for being blind, this guy saw things nobody else saw. Not only was he able to see waves of energy and what not with his visor, but he was able to figure things out about behavior that no one else could. If somebody was acting like a jackass, he often made them see it. He was usually a friendly guy, but he would raise his voice and get in one's face when necessary to solve problems.
    Lt. Worf is one of my favorite Trek characters (excluding his role on DS9, of course). The chief of security and tactical officer on board the Enterprise was indeed a Klingon warrior. But he had a human side that he often cherished. When confronted with Klingon tradition that he dissagreed with, he wasn't afraid to say so. He perfectly integrated the best of Klingons with the best of humans. Although he kept a rocky surface demeanor, he cherished his friends and enjoyed their company. His best friend was most likely Commander Riker, but he most respected Captain Picard. Worf cherished honor above all, but there were times when he risked his honor to preserve security aboard the ship. Like any Klingon, he craved battle, but did all he could to achieve peace, for the Federation, something he cared for very much.
    The resident counselor on board the Enterprise was Deanna Troi. The half Human, half Betazoid beauty utilized her intuition, intelligence, compassion, and telepathic abilities inherant to Betazoids. Although she took her professional life very seriously, this woman knew how to unwind. She loved chocolate, enjoyed watching people on ten-forward, and liked men a little too much. It's a good thing that venerial diseases are irrelivant in the 24th century, because otherwise, she would've died before Tasha Yar. Every time a male dignitary or ambassador arrived, they would fall in love within the first 10 minutes of the show, screw, talk, screw some more and then break up...and then screw some more. If she had to choose between sex and chocolate, she would dip Worf in fudge and get the best of both worlds(She liked Worf a lot...I mean he broke up with her, but I bet she wouldn't let him go without a fight).
    Nobody cared for the medical profession more than Doctor Beverly Crusher. She was willing to risk everything for the well being of her patients. She would take her own heart out of her body if no vacant heart were available. Romance was a rarity for the doctor, but when romantically involved, she could be more passionate than ever imagined. Her lack of intimacy was mostly a result of the love she secretly harbored for Captain Picard. Speaking of the Captain, Crusher was only one of two people who could get in his face and tell him when he was wrong(the other being the ship's bartender Guinan). Although she seems like someone who can't fend for herself, she was one of the tougher women on board. If in danger, she would use all her strength and maneuverability to kick some alienass(or Riker's if he gets too fresh).
    Probably the main character, after Captain Picard, the Operations officer and Second officer of the Enterprise known as Lt. Commaner Data wanted nothing more than to be human. Every time a problem arose, the artificial lifeform would see an opportunity to learn about human nature. He would usually ask his best friend Geordi any questions he had about human responses, feelings and emotions, etc. Although Data was incapable of feeling anything, his sense of familiarity allowed him to care for his friends aboard the Enterprise, in one way or another. Data had a firm grasp on the difference between right and wrong, however there were times when his program would be compromised. When this happened, nothing was a bigger threat to the security of the Enterprise than Commander Data.
    William T. Riker was the best damn first officer that a captain could have. No one was more suitable to fill that role aboard the flagship of the Federation than Will Riker. He liked having fun more than most people, but when it came to his job, Riker was all business and did it better than anyone else could. Riker knew how to take chances, but when it came to the safety of all the people on board the Enterprise, Riker took no such chances. When it came to pleasure, Riker knew how to get it. PIMP is the word that comes to mind when thinking of Riker. This man had no trouble getting laid when he desired(which was always). Two things were on his mind when on the bridge of the Enterprise; Duty and Booty.
    Captain Jean Luc Picard of the Starship Enterprise. By far, my favorite character in Star Trek history. The man was stern, arrogant, stuffy and liked being so. But his un-people -friendly characteristics were outweighed by his sense of duty, honor, and his complete dedication to doing what\'s right. His sense of honor was never more apparent than when he disobeyed his superiors. Something had to be very important to him to make Jean Luc Picard disobey a direct order. The main thing to be remembered about Picard was his lonliness. He preferred not to open up to anyone, with the exception of Doctor Crusher and Guinan, to name a few. Although he was a loner, he often shared touching moments with various members of the crew. He never hesitated in coming to the aid of his crew members in need. For example, on more than one occasion, he defended Data whenever his status as a lifeform was under question, and aided Worf in times of peril concerning his Klingon heritage. Regardless of his preference for solitude, there wasn't a thing that Captain Picard wouldn't do for a member of his crew.
    Aside from the main characters, TNG was notorious for their casting of great guest stars. No other show had better reoccuring characters. The show was jam packed with memorable guest stars, including: Miles O'Brian, the ship's transporter chief; Guinan, the wise bar tender; Counselor Troi's trouble making mother Rwaxanna Troi; Lt. Barkley, a very nervous assistant engineer with a penchant for the holodeck; Worf's troubled son Alexander; and Ensign Ro Laren, the loose cannon helm officer with strong morals.
    Writing, characters and the actors who portray them, directing and so many other factors are what contribute to the greatest sci-fi show, and most possibly the greatest show in television history.
  • Well i've never been a trek guy, but I could appreciate this show. It had a nice picture of humanities future and good stories. Great character like the recurring Q and my favorite bad guys the borg. Although the lack of human c

Well i've never been a trek guy, but I could appreciate this show. It had a nice picture of humanities future and good stories. Great character like the recurring Q and my favorite bad guys the borg. Although the lack of human confrontation did get boring. All in all I enjoyed my time watching this show almost more than anyother in the franchise.
  • Starting with a slow first season and having the handicap of trying to live up to TOS, TNG finally came into its own and I believe in many ways surpassed TOS.

Some would say I am wrong about TNG surpassing TOS, but it is not meant as a slam against TOS. TOS was wonderful, but TNG was allowed to grow, which unfortunately TOS was not allowed to do.

Throughout the 7 seasons, the characters were allowed to become well rounded, and I believe truly became a family. The stories were overall good, although there were a few clinkers. The technology and the aliens were usually very well used. As with TOS, TNG often looked at reality and gave us alegorical stories about ourselves.

• TNG is the first Star Trek spin-off and a highly successful one at that. To me it's a classic series. The Next Generation's strengths are the excellent characters and cast but the weakness is that there is no bigger plot.

The Next Generation is truly a classic. It's a show which almost anyone will recognize, just like the original Star Trek. If you don't know who Jean-Luc Picard is, you've most likely been living under a rock.

It's easy to define the strong points and the weak points of this series. Obviously the characters and the cast is the main strength of TNG, the crew has excellent chemistry. There are some very unique characters like Data, performed to excellence by Brent Spiner.

The weak points of the show are also clear to me. While the show does have many magnificent episodes during the 7-year run, it's also important to point out that there is no bigger plotline going on. To me it's always important that there are good and long arcs in a series.

There are better Star Trek series out there than this one, DS9 and Voyager both have a strong crew and cast but those shows have major arcs and good plotlines besides that.

However, I do recommend this show. It's a good series with a lot of magnificent episodes that you won't forget quickly. TNG is a true classic that will be remembered for a long time to come.

Now if you don't mind, I have Earl Grey, hot, waiting for me.
  • I love Star Terk TNG I was a late bloomer,but I got addicted to it a few years ago. I have seen all the episodes, but I still like watching my favorites, When Wesley was almost killed for walking on the lawn on an alien planet...

Excellent show, exciting original and weird. where do they come up with these characters?? Data and Worf are my favorites. Of course, how can anyone not like Captain Picard??? I was so glad that the betazoid and number one got together in the last movie, I hope her mother leaves them alone!!
  • new enterprise crew travels the galaxy. better technology cutting edge ideas. nice cast what else can I say.

unlike the original enterprise it is not absolutely horrible where u have the most haggard computers being used. it has one of the best acting of any sci fi show I have ever seen. You can see this show happening in the future. This also was agains racism because u have racist planets and federation who is anti racism.
  • To boudly go where no one has gone before

This is the show I grew up with. Every friday night we went to the sauna and taped the newest episode. After that we ate pizza and watched the life on the Enterprise.

This show has to be a reason why I have developed such a great philosophical consciousness. The stories had always more than you saw. They were allegories of different civilizations or showed us how the western man had it few centuries ago. Though in space it was merely about us all the time.. Sometimes straight from the time we lived. We saw a different perspective on things.

The most astonishing part of the show is that actually shows how the world would be after a comunist revolution. There would be no money, no national borders, no hunger. Everbody has the same chances than the other. People are doing something to enhance what they are and working for a better future for the mankind. Think about that! This one is a classic.
  • Space, the final frontier.

I've watched all five Star Trek series, and I can easily say that Star Trek: The Next Generation is, in my personal opinion, the best out of all five seasons, though of course, I still enjoy the other four series as well, but not as much as I enjoy this one.

I'm quite glad that this, and all the other ST series have been put on DVD, so that I can watch them whenever I want.
  • this sci fi legend has more credits to its title then most any other, it took a 2nd rate tv serie into the for front, just by how good the actors, the stories and the charector development really was.

between starting the series with a major mission of sanificant importance, too introducing some of the most beloved charectors in all of star trek this series hold its place not just in star trek histroy but in world history as a changer of how people viewed sci fi. it change it from a how aliens attack humans, and some interesting stuff in the movies to it being acceptable for major stations to take series that had an accual story to it and run with it. i personally beleve that the 3 other gene roddenberry creations (farscape, earth final conflict, and andromeda) would have never air, been filmed, or even looked at if this series would not have done what it did. i beleve we in the sci fi community should all give kudos to those who wrote, produced, directed and stared in every episode of this series.
  • More of the same, some years later.

After the original “Star Trek” went off the air it became more popular. Eventually they made a new one. “Star Trek – The Next Generation” was one of the first big budget TV shows that succeeded even though it was not bought by a network. They established the concept of “first-run syndication”. Initially the show was broadcast mostly on the new Fox network. Since Fox didn’t own the rights, Paramount was able to sell it to independent and other network affiliate stations if there was no Fox affiliate in that town.

The cast was very similar to the original series. So much so that shows written for the original Star Trek could be easily adapted to the new series. Additions like the holo-deck gave even more latitude and range of story ideas.

This would be a great show to have on DVD, but they want over $100 per season for it, so there’s no way I would buy it.
  • The final frontier gets revisited by a new captain and a new crew. This show set the standard for what outer space science fiction should be.

Just like its predecessor, Star Trek: The Next Generation became a legend. However, it was mostly a legend in its own time.
    The crew centered around Jean Luc Picard. A frenchman who sounded an awful lot like and Englishman. His number one was Riker. He was supposed to bring the brashness to the series as Kirk-type character. In the early part of the series, the women characters were weak. Tasha Yar just keep running and shooting. Troi always had a bad feeling about this or that. And Dr. Crusher was little more than the first person to show up when people were killed. The show took of by leaps and bounds. It hit its peak with the introduction of the Borg. All in all, when it comes to this show, resistance is futile. You gotta love it.
< 1 2 3 4 5