Star Trek: The Next Generation

CBS (ended 1994)

Gislef

Star Trek: The Next Generation Fan Reviews (131)

• A follow up to Star Trek

It seems at time that Star Trek-TNG goes out of it way to state that there is no God. Does this mean I will not watch Star Trek-TNG. No. There are some storylines I really enjoyed. There are some Star Trek-TNG that I have problems with. “Genesis”, “Who Watches the Watchers” "All Good Things". These are just three I will not watch.
  • The worst Star Trek show.

I really wanted to like this show. But I just can't get into it.

I have watched all 7 seasons and always hoped it would get better but the only episodes I liked where the ones that featured the Borg. Most of the time I was simply bored to tears. While I like Patrick Stewart, it is not enough to keep me engaged when the rest of the cast is forgettable, the characters Troi, Dr.Crusher and Riker being the worst.
    The stories were boring or preaching and always cheesy.

Maybe I would have liked the show better if I had seen it when it came on TV years ago, but today it looks outdated.
    And this has nothing to do with it being shot in the 80ies, I like the original Star Trek, so it must be something else.

I can't recommend this show to anyone, I hardly understand the fascination with it.
  • The new Enterprise, under the command of Captain Picard, is by a mysterious omnipotent being called Q. They are put on trial as the representatives of a species of violent savages and for crimes, done by mankind hundreds of years before.

4.6
    Do not get me wrong. I was a fan of TNG 20 years ago. Today i watch it with different eyes. Some things i still like, like the naivity of the concept of a united mankind (hello to all american readers), somethings i still can not stand (Will Wheaton). But as far as i can remember, only a hand of viewers liked him.
    What i did not realize 20 years ago was the immense amount of bad acting in the pilot episode. Denise Crosby, lesbian archetype, security officer i presume, steadily overreacts or -overact-. unbelievable her reaction in the courtroom, when she histerically cries, that these people (mankind)have saved her planet for barbary (cant recall it precisely).
    dialogues are partly simply less than intelligent. especially deanna troy remarks about q are simply stupido.
    What i liked, was the Doctor Who like atmosphere in the court-room, Q in his various costumes, the medieval spectators and the Judge Dread like soldiers. In this scene, the supporting cast was much better.

• Where No Man Has Gone Before.

I thought this show was intended for kind of an Elementary School level audience somehow. Quite unlike the original show. Same with all the subsequent Star Trek Universe shows-basically kids stuff-not offensive but decidedly not true SF.
  • Necessary, but flawed

5.8
    Largely mediocre fluff. Not many memorable characters. Absolutely no on-going story arcs (at best, two-part episodes). It explored interesting concepts, but concepts just aren't enough to make a show worthwhile. If you have the time, watch the occasional rerun, but don't bother getting any DVDs, because it's not worth the money.
  • Star Trek-the Politically Correct Generation

Just over twenty years ago, when I first heard about this continuation of the Star Trek saga, I couldn't wait for it. But as time went on I became somewhat disenchanted. True, the special effects were far beyond the 1960's original, attention to the real aspects of astronomy, and hard science were much, much better than the original series, but far too many of the episodes had story lines that were weak and a little bit too touchy-feely and politically correct for my tastes. A great many of the alien races represented on the show didn't strike me as being alien at all. They behaved like feudal warlords from earth centuries ago. I think that was my biggest beef with the show, and all it's spin offs.
    Feudalism hasn't been a viable political system on our world for a long, long time...couldn't a race advanced enough for star travel do one hell of a lot better? A believable alien race for me would be physiologically much different from us with a vastly different value system that that of the human race as a result of this. The writers could have done a much better job and shown much more imagination in that respect. And yes, it's true. James Kirk got laid a lot more than Jean-Luc Picard I'm afraid. Hmmm.
  • Good Writing (usually), OK acting...

TNG is often praised as the cream of the crop when it comes to Star Trek series. But though it had its moments, it really didn't hold a candle to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. The Next Generation was plagued by 3 things:

1) Through the first couple of seasons, it was a carbon copy of the original series. Although, with the introduction of the Borg, it laid the groundwork for the best villain in all of TV history (only to see that villain turned into CGI manikins by ST: Voyager).

2)While Patrick Stewart is ubiquitously and rightly praised for his performance as Captain Picard, often I find that the acting on this show is a little less than good. In particular, Gates McFadden (worst), Marina Sirtis (pretty bad), Michael Dorn (OK) and Jonathan Frakes (take him or leave him). Brent Spiner was good, and LeVar Burton was totally underused.

3) Deus ex Machina. All to often, God would come down on his spaceship and save the day.

Best Episode: Tie between "The Best of Both Worlds I & II" and "The Inner Light"
  • What starts without vision gains sight but then becomes blind to its own weaknesses.

In 1987, Buck Rogers didn't get turned into a popsicle stick for 500 years, but Paramount wanted to cash in on Star Trek's renewed popularity. But not with the original cast, who were too expensive. Result? A new crew, set some 80 years into the future.

Season 1 starts it all: While showing us a new Enterprise, with its holodeck, improved phaser emitters, separable hull, and so on, it relies more on updated special effects than it does characters, and doesn't really have much of a direction. A prime example is "The Naked Now", a gaudy rewrite of the original Trek's "The Naked Time", which not only wastes an opportunity to prove that rewriting old stories isn't always a waste of time, it also replaces character development with a frat party with everybody acting drunk and horny. Not a good way to show off a new series. Subsequent episodes also bypassed serious drama in favor of cheap frat jokes (e.g. "Justice"). Even the renowned episode "Conspiracy"'s pre-credits teaser has Geordi cracking a joke about sex in zero-gravity. Whatever... how the show survived its first season must be due to basic ratings figures because, let's face it, season 1 was simply too shallow.

Season 2: Geordi and Worf are promoted to positions that do their characters justice, the superlative Guinan is introduced, and Gates McFadden is fired in favor of Diana Muldar's under-appreciated Dr Pulaski. This season has more polish, the actors feel more 'at home' with their characters, and many stories really dig deep into some decent sci-fi concepts. "Elementary Dear Data" putting the holodeck to exceptional and truly ingenious use, "Q Who" introduces the Borg, "Time Squared" does a great job of utilizing a time paradox, "Contagion" deals with computer viruses with aplomb, "The Measure of a Man" deals with Data's status as an individual (and the basic plot premise is revisited several times throughout the series' remaining run)... "Unnatural Selection" showcasing Dr Pulaski's character beautifully (and is an example of re-doing a premise properly; it is a semi-rewrite of TOS's "The Deadly Years" and in every way is genuinely superior).

Season 3 sets the formula perfectly, though bringing back Crusher was arguably a mistake - I'll explain later, though in the premiere story "Evolution", we are reminded Wesley is an annoying little disrespectful prat. I'm amazed mommy didn't hit him...

Season 4 continues the feel of season 3, though the first 7 stories feel like condensed rewrites of "The Best of Both Worlds" as other characters have to live through nightmare situations or epiphanies. "Legacy" onwards shows a decent run of episodes. Sadly, the show's best composer, Ron Jones, was fired because his style did not fit the vision the producers wanted to move the show toward... It does end with the rather good "Redemption"...

So far, we've seen TNG start out with no vision, find itself, and move forward with an impressive amount of dignity and thoughtfulness. However, change is inevitable and this is when that pesky blindness kicks in:

Season 5: The show's new vision would focus less on sci-fi and more on character "depth"; meaning the discussion of modern day society issues, but slanted in favor of one viewpoint rather than a thoughtful, even-handed discussion of both sides. We are instantly treated to "Redemption"'s conclusion, which has Data acting very much UNLIKE Data, and some really bizarre ideas about a tachyon net that even Sela could figure out "Drive around it instead", yet doesn't. "Silicon Avatar" revisits the Crystalline Entity, but the charming concept of talking to it stretches credibility too far and Picard comes across as if he's constipated. "The Masterpiece Society" has Picard deciding to interfere in a balanced society and moans upon failing. The story's moral is the exact opposite of season 3's "The Ensigns of Command" (a bona fide classic)! Another turkey is "Ethics", which involves Worf being injured, wants euthanasia, nobody wants to do him in, and Crusher bickers with another doctor about "acceptable forms of research". Complete with Worf having a redundant brain which is how he can survive. This toddler scribble is not worthy as a script! If "Ethics" is Crusher's defining story, axe her and put Pulaski back, whose attitude in "Unnatural Selection" is far more worthy. "The Outcast", the cheap turkey complete with beaks and claws, seems to say that test tube babies are preferable to two people exchanging bodily fluids in order to make a baby. Whatever. Do I have to mention the disaster entitled "Disaster"? Also, a new character, Ensign Ro, is introduced, and is meant to add tension amongst the crew. I'm not sure she worked, but I liked the addition nonetheless. "I Borg" does the impossible and gets Picard (and Guinan!) to feel sorry for the Borg. And people thought TOS's "The Way to Eden" was tosh?! Mind you, "The Next Phase" has to be a highlight as it takes an interesting look at depth combined with the best sci-fi idea for some time, even if there are obvious questions about how they don't fall through floors and such. Plus, it reminds us the Romulans are a threat... Season 6: Well, the show continues to act and sound like a frog passing gas in a mud puddle. The first run of stories all involve transporter failures as their causes, some stories are followed up on "Ship in a Bottle"... "The Quality of Life" is yet another attempt to cash in on the now trite idea of "When does a machine get treated like a person" and is so heavy-handed in the script that it's not worth watching... Season 7 concludes the show by trying to get back to basics -- not going overboard with pandering, heavy-handed societal parallels and goes back into sci-fi territory. Which is nice. "The Pegasus" does remind us that TNG isn't worn out yet and that character drama CAN work as we discover an interesting slant to Riker's past and a cool technological development too... Even "Force of Nature" (the "55mph speed limit in space" episode) is watchable. It does end with "All Good Things..." which, one minor plot hole aside, ends the series so spectacularly that it should have been what Q was promising at the end about what Picard would discover. (unfortunately, those theatrical adventures weren't nearly as good as promised...)

All in all, as far as digging up old material and continuing it goes, and I'm not often partial to such remakes, TNG is very much worthy. Even if the earliest of episodes are so flimsily written, even the best of ideas ("Datalore", "11001001", "Heart of Glory", "Conspiracy") end up looking silly at times.
  • a journey through space with lots of new races and planets visited

7.2
    this is a good installment to the star trek series. although it got better after this. individually the episodes are good but the fact it goes from planet to planet there isn't much focus on individually characters. it has the best 2 part episode of all the star trek series with best of both worlds, possibly the only season ending 2 parter that gets better in the second part. all this needed was a more detailed plot running throughout the background of these episodes. like DS9 had with the war and voyagers journey home. not a bad series but not the best
  • A New Hope...

That was what this was 20 years ago... After 20 (previous) years of being off the air STAR TREK was back!!! But not containing the original crew??? That was a shock... Can't say I took to the new guys at first... But looking back I remember this 'old crew' with affection... Even Data the weight gaining android!!!
  • Don't get me wrong, I love The Next Generation but...

I liked the The Next Generation. There were definitely some wonderfully done episodes ans wonderful quotes and very three dimensional characters that I cared about...

but it was unoriginal.

Star Trek: The Next Generation... exploring the same space, meeting the same aliens, having the similar personalities, doing the same things... I love Star Trek, and this show is certainly interesting, but it will never be my favorite Trek series because it wasn't unique. I never felt anything for minor charactors except for maybe in the episode "Lower Decks". I never felt that the "bad guys" could possible right, and the Enterprise crew were the ones wrong, It was never particularly thought provoking, and it never made me cry.

I don't understand why people seem to love it so much... I mean, yes it's a very interesting show, but originality really means a lot to me.
  • It is about the crew of the starship enterprise who are on a mission to discover about the far reaches of outer space and about the worlds thye visit.

this show is great i am so glad that this show is back on air and that i can watch it daily on G4 tv. i remember watching this show when i was in the second grade, i loved it then and i still love it now, and i will never stop being a trekie forever!!!
  • Well i've never been a trek guy, but I could appreciate this show. It had a nice picture of humanities future and good stories. Great character like the recurring Q and my favorite bad guys the borg. Although the lack of human c

Well i've never been a trek guy, but I could appreciate this show. It had a nice picture of humanities future and good stories. Great character like the recurring Q and my favorite bad guys the borg. Although the lack of human confrontation did get boring. All in all I enjoyed my time watching this show almost more than anyother in the franchise.
  • Although sprinkled with gems throughout it\'s run, ST:TNG was uneven in it\'s quality. All in all, a disappointment.

ST:TNG lacked the spirit of The Original Series (TOS), the expectation of something absolutely new and wonderful every week. Unlike TOS, the writing was mostly mediocre at best and, to make matters worse, the techno-babble tended to wander into center stage instead of remaining in the background. Curiously, the best episodes were those that downplayed technology and concentrated on conflict between characters.

And characterization was a problem as well. Picard was an unlovable lump, a company man, unlike the volatile Kirk. Yes, Picard protested to his brother against how Star Fleet made him kill, but - like a good Star Fleet robot - he returns to duty, an unloving and unlovable man. Now, Kirk was a commander of passion, wonderously violating the sturgid prime directive whenever he saw its aburdity to a given situation; Picard, however, followed it to the letter, regardless of the outcome. Kirk was also a shameless womanizer, bedding good-looking ensigns and aliens almost every episode - for the good of intersteller relations, of course; Picard had hang-ups in this area, preferring to play his flute or read a classic book to knowing a stunning babe - and he's a frenchman, yet! Riker, as first officer, is another unlikable; a martinet and a self-absorbed chauvinist - no hang-ups for him, bring on the babes! Lets not forget Wesley, a unecessary brat-character, thrown in by the producers only as a sop to younger viewers, who ruined more episodes than helped. And Data, the robot who tries to understand humans and become human, but can't; what is the purpose of a character not being able to accomplish that which cannot be done? (Can a toaster become a horse?). LaForge, the blind chief engineer, is another sop to the handicapped - er, physically challenged - and African-American communities (two birds with one stone!).

The theme of the show was weak. "Where no one has gone before" turned out more often than not as "where everyone has gone before." Rarely did the Enterprise leave known space; it uaually took a smart-ass alien to push them to the limits -- and Picard, the bore that he is, decidedly did not like it. This is why Star Trek: Voyager is more true to the original; Voyager is forced by circumstance to explore the unknown, not be a taxi for Star Fleet bureaucrats, diplomats, emotionally-dead scientists, and inquisitive aliens.
  • Star Trek Phase II Fans will catch star Brian Gross in forthcoming web TV series!

Fans of Star Trek Phase II will catch Captain James T. Kirk's Brian Gross in Crime and Consequences, a forthcoming serio-dramedy to web TV. Crime and Consequences delves into the dynamic lives of a group of detectives working in the dangerous Hillside Division of Southern California.

You could cameo with Brian and make your mark on the hottest new web series! Visit Crime and Consequences at . We need your support and want you to be a part of the show's success!

Check out or to learn more!

• A dissappointment for me after The Original Series, but it had a few excellent episode.

I must say, there are a few excellent episodes (my fav is 5/25-Inner Light, a masterpiece indeed) there are too many filler episodes.
    A bad-CGI alien flies around the ship...boring..Geordi installs a new warp-thingy..boring..Picard is a good diplomat...
    Where are the new worlds? To boldly go..on a routine mission...I don't get it...
    Then the "funny" episodes.. The Q eps are ok, but those about Troi's mother..garbage.

Now to the good part: Borg, time travel, Data, Worf, holo-deck..and so on... I'd say 1/4 of the episodes are truly fantastic, I really enjoyed that part very much, so I didn't regret watching the whole series.
  • Hip astronauts and aliens

I am not a huge sci fi fan. I can't speak in Klingon and I don't claim to know the names of all the alien life forms that drop in on the Enterprise for a visit. What I do know is that by sci fi standards, TNG is one of the best shows of its kind. What Michael Jordan is to basketball: Star Trek (the franchise) is to sci fi. No wonder there are so many trekkies in the world.
  • k'ehleyr

While Star Trek TNG did much to revitalise the franchise with some stunning story arcs and some fantastic standalone episodes like Yesterday's Enterprise , to name but one of many, it also made some very serious mistakes in ridding itself of brilliant characters played by great character actors and also ill served some of the shows longest running characters like Worf. Chief amongst these is Suzie Plakson's K'ehleyr, an excellent study in independence, intellect power and sexual elegance from a female Kiingon. This half human half Klingon character was the epitomy of sultry intelligent humour and savagery wrapped up neatly in this individual and one of the best realised. She was very captivating as a Federation ambassador and a great narrative lightning rod for exposing Worf's slavish adherence to Klingon tradition. She also allowed us to understand Klingon mating customs. Beyond this, there were several subsequent Klingon stories where her presence would have made a great difference. My understanding was that Michael Piller thought her death would give credence to Worf killing Duras, another very foolish mistake as it did not resolve the plot arc of Worf's dishonour. I'm sure Gene Roddenberry would have prevented this development, but I also think this decision sent the storyline into silly directions with Alexander, k'ehleyr and Worf's son, becoming a spare part that never quite worked without his mother and the conflict between modernity and tradition, something that Star Trek itself is built on.
  • TNG was both safe and dull ST and enjoyable and well produced ST.

I became a Trekkie just last year and this was the first ST i chose to buy on DVD. I remembered enjoying it as a kid and it brought back some fond memories indeed. Unfortunatly i had to get through the mostly garbage first two seasons before i saw gold. TNG had one of the worst growing periods for a TV ever. Its best to avoid those and start with the amazing third season. That set the standard for ST and became even better than TOS. For the next four years TNG was king. They rightfully ended the show with its seventh season just when signs of fatigue were showing. What can be said about TNG is that it had lovable characters, great stories to tell and set the mark for its format. But on the other hand the characters weren't fleshed out properly (apart from Picard, Worf and Data) and were mostly dull, the stories rarely pushed the envelope and once it found its formula it never dared do anything different. Both these positive and negative critisms are true. TNG was a great show, flawed, but great. If you happen to catch a good episode of it then your in for a real treat.
  • 2nd Of The Franchise Reviews

Between The Original Series and The Next Generation, there were several films. This was an excellent way for Roddenberry to demonstrate the growth potential of the franchise and the drive of fan-dom, to accelerate a new Star trek series onto the small screen. But Roddenberry knew that any single network alone had too much power regarding the life and death of a series and the way to approach this idea was though syndication. And it was successful.

Now that being said, was the series successful? For the Trek Fan, sure it was. To the sci-fi fan, it was good TV viewing. Without question, the first of the new generation series of Treks , this in particular, was well produced. But then again, it was Roddenberry’s child. He knew exactly what he wanted and where it needed to go.

Enter Rick Bergman. Why enter? He was Roddenberry’s hand picked successor when Roddenberry became too ill to continue as Exec Producer. And that, what many believe, was the downward trend of this series.

I find this series interesting, entertaining and well done. The stories were well written, even those that were rehashes of the original series. However, as the series entered its final year, things began to get stale and the characters very limited. It expanded well once the transition was made to the big screen. But that’s for another site.
  • The long-awaited return of a live action Star Trek series to prime time. Re-dressed and updated, it keeps to the original premise, to seek out new life and new civilizations and to boldly go where no man... no one has gone before.

After several fits and starts during the 70s with Star Trek: Phase II, and with the successful resurgence and popularity of science-fiction as entertainment thanks to films like Logan's Run, Star Wars, Blade Runner. Close Encounters of the Third Kind, ET, and Alien, as well as television space operas like Battlestar Galactica, Space:1999, and V, and even comedies like Mork and Mindy and Alf, Paramount, owner of the property, finally dusted off the franchise. Following 3 moderately successful films and one blockbuster film (Star Trek IV:The Voyage Home), Paramount decided to give television a try once more. Recalling the nightmare of networks from his past, Roddenberry insisted that the show be syndicated or he would not participate. And so it came to be.... Slowly at first, but like a roaring train by the 6th season, a new Star Trek - Star Trek:The Next Generation, beamed into households across America in September of 1987 to much fanfare and trepidation.

With a different take on space and future humanity's role in it (compared to everything else out there), it set a \"positive\" tone that has yet to be repeated and that causes much consternation among younger fans who wanted something darker. The creators felt they had to go this route in order to dampen the comparisons to their earlier show that created icons of its own. But despite the near polar opposite look and feel, the comparisons came anyway, with debates about who was better, Kirk or Picard, endlessly peppering the fan media, eventuallly making it to the internet via USENET and early ISP forums, and finally hitting the web when that format launched as the show had completed its run. It was not until after 2 later series debuted (Deep Space Nine and Voyager), when the silly debates began to die down as new Captains came to the fore.

In any case, the show had a likable ensemble of characters featuring a Klingon to denote how far humanity had come since the days of Kirk and the Klingon enemy, and also featuring an android named Data, who made Brent Spiner the breakout character of the show. The Romulans, little covered in the original series, would become the nemesis of this new crew. Although the stories provided the usual drama and wonder about the universe, the setting reflected the era the late-1980s - mid-1990s, with its supposed good times, and continual emphasis that humanity would have risen above its horrid past and embraced peace and prosperity.

The earlier seasons were somewhat uneven. But as the 4th season dawned with the resolution of a historic cliff-hanger (Best of Both Worlds), it finally got its stride, and by the 6th season, had gotten its 2nd wind. And the show would eventually reach a ratings milestone as the #1 syndicated show, topping permanent fixtures Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy (with numbers that even surpassed the normal #1 rated network show for its primary airing day - Monday Night Football, during the 1991 November sweeps).

Sadly, it was during that same record-breaking month that featured the release of original series swan song film "Star Trek VI:The Undiscovered Country and original and new series crossovers (Leonard Nimoy guest-starring on TNG and Michael Dorn in TUC) , when Gene Roddenberry, the Great Bird of the Galaxy, would die.

Overall, the show would go on to win the most awards of any Star Trek show before or since, and would solidify the franchise in the popular culture with a new set of cultural icons (including the Borg). It would lead to 3 more series and contribute to the reborn franchise\'s additional 17 years on the air, to reach a total of 24 years on-air, 735 episodes from 6 series, and 10 films that take place in that fictional universe.
  • One of the better Star Trek shows. Set in the future and in outer space a group of people travel in a space ship exploring the vastness of space.

One of the better Star Trek shows. Set in the future and in outer space a group of people travel in a space ship exploring the vastness of space. Patrick Stewart played Captain Jean-Luc Picard and was replacing William Shatner's Captain Kirk. Many, including myself, thought it couldn't be done. I was wrong and so where they. What a great job he and the other on the show did. This was even better than the original in many ways. Other stars of the sow included Michael Dorn as Lt./Lt. Cmdr. Worf, Denise Crosby as Tasha Yar, LeVar Burton as Lt. Cmdr. Geordi LaForge, Jonathan Frakes as Cmdr. William T. Riker, Diana Muldaur as
    Dr. Katherine Pulaski, Marina Sirtis as Counsellor/Lt. Cmdr. Deanna Troi, Brent Spiner as Lt. Cmdr. Data, Gates McFadden as Dr. Beverly Crusher and Wil Wheaton as Wesley Crusher.
  • ST: TNG is a great show...

TNG is my third favorite ST show, behind DS9 (#2) and Voyager (#1)...

And it's mostly due to the early seasons of the show; don't get me wrong, but even those shows were fairly good, but not as good as the later shows. The characters went through some much needed self improvements...including better uniforms.

As for this particular episode, Q is at it again, playing with humanity...

And while it was good to see some of the potentials of each characters future, I don't think it was one of the best episodes; may its because I think the writers played the Q card way too many times... but then again, I dunno. That opinion varies with my mood...

At any rate, I do hope that there will be future movies...
  • I love Star Terk TNG I was a late bloomer,but I got addicted to it a few years ago. I have seen all the episodes, but I still like watching my favorites, When Wesley was almost killed for walking on the lawn on an alien planet...

Excellent show, exciting original and weird. where do they come up with these characters?? Data and Worf are my favorites. Of course, how can anyone not like Captain Picard??? I was so glad that the betazoid and number one got together in the last movie, I hope her mother leaves them alone!!
  • The next logical step.

Star Trek wit better actors and special effects. That's The Next Generation in a nutshell. Don't get me wrong but Patrick Stewart can act rings around Bill Shatner (who didn't really hit his acting stride till Boston Legal) and their is a reason you haven't seen Leonard Nemoy except on the Simpsons and Futurama. I love Bill and Leonard but they aren't the best actors in the world.

The special effects are what clinched TNG for me. Space Flights that looked real, Klingons that looked like aleins instead of Mongolians with an over exagerated brow, ect. ect..

It's been said before but I believe that TNG is much closer to Gene Roddenberry's vision.
  • Superior acting, superior musical score than all of the Trek series!

Growing up in the TNG era, this was the first Star Trek series that I had ever seen. TNG got me hooked with the Star Trek world with its quality acting, beautiful score and great writing. Over the seasons of TNG the characters sort of mellowed out and got more relaxed with each other but I believe it's part of the evolution of the show.

I like TNG more than TOS, DS9, ST Voyager and ST Enterprise because of the reasons above. Although TOS to me remains the thing that started it all, it's always Captain Jean-Luc Picard and his crew that evoke the sense of adventure, of the excitement in investigating the unkown.

Highly recommended.
  • TNG is the series that kickstarted a stalled franchise on the TV side after the original cast did several movies.

I rate this a very close 2nd best of the series. The series had a rocky start with a pretty bad first season, then once the Borg entered the picture it took off like a rocket. Though the finale was superb the final season left something to be desired and it was clear it was running out of gas and ended just in time. These ratings are all subjective anway. I enjoyed all the series except for the obvious exception below.

Picard is a close 2nd as far as Captain go only because he was French and sometimes a bit too introspective lacking that edge Sisko had. 9.6 DS 9
    9.5 TNG

Picard
    Kirk
    Janeway
    Archer

Other than the Borg episodes, one of my favorites as Yesterdays Enterprise with alternate timeline which later showed up with daughter of Tasha Yar appearing as a Romulan commander. That one seemed more like a DS9 episode, which is probably why its one of my favorites. I also thought the one where Picard met a future version of himself was clever and well done.

TNG was also the launching pad for DS9 and Voyager and its influences can be seen in both those series since TNG basically modernized the Trek universe. The pre TNG movies did to a limited extent but it was still grounded in the past of the original cast. Though the TOS movies were generally stronger than the TNG movies (the only superb one was First Contact).
  • This was truly one of the best Star Trek series to come out next to DS9.

Every since I saw the first episode of The Next Generation I have loved it, the acting, story lines and special effects kept me entertained and as the years went on it got even better. Patrick Stewart is superb as Jean-Luc Picard and is one of my favourite characters to date. Brent Spiner always was brilliant at portraying Data and was perfectly cast giving just enough humanity to the role without being too human. The rest of the actors are also great as supporting cast if not as prominent as Picard and Data.
    DS9 is still my favourite with Sisko my favourite capt but Jean-Luc and ST-TNG is a close 2nd.
  • Flawless series only lacking the plot that keeped Star Treks Voyager crew together.

A great Star Trek series. I gave it same rating as DS9. Personally im not a huge fan of this series. But I do enjoy watching it. Overall there isnt much to complain about. But I thought the cast chemistry in Voyager was better and for that reason I give it.1 lower. Overall its solid and watchable through every season.
  • Reset the whole Star Trek Franchise.

When it first aired Star Trek the Next Generation sure seemed like a radical departure from the original. But it soon grew into it's own as a series. And then it set the mode for all the following Star Trek Series (Deep Space Nine, and Voyager) Then Next Generation specialized in stand alone pure sci-fi episodes, with very few ongoing story lines or seasonal arcs. This makes it easy to jump in and understand, and enjoy almost any episode at any time. However that does come at the expence of character development. Within the series (not movies) relitively little changed in the personal relationships. However the show was fantastic sci-fi, and set the look and tone for two other series lasting 7 years each. So it did something right.
< 1 2 3 4 5