Star Trek: The Next Generation

CBS (ended 1994)

Gislef

Star Trek: The Next Generation Fan Reviews (130)

• k'ehleyr

While Star Trek TNG did much to revitalise the franchise with some stunning story arcs and some fantastic standalone episodes like Yesterday's Enterprise , to name but one of many, it also made some very serious mistakes in ridding itself of brilliant characters played by great character actors and also ill served some of the shows longest running characters like Worf. Chief amongst these is Suzie Plakson's K'ehleyr, an excellent study in independence, intellect power and sexual elegance from a female Kiingon. This half human half Klingon character was the epitomy of sultry intelligent humour and savagery wrapped up neatly in this individual and one of the best realised. She was very captivating as a Federation ambassador and a great narrative lightning rod for exposing Worf's slavish adherence to Klingon tradition. She also allowed us to understand Klingon mating customs. Beyond this, there were several subsequent Klingon stories where her presence would have made a great difference. My understanding was that Michael Piller thought her death would give credence to Worf killing Duras, another very foolish mistake as it did not resolve the plot arc of Worf's dishonour. I'm sure Gene Roddenberry would have prevented this development, but I also think this decision sent the storyline into silly directions with Alexander, k'ehleyr and Worf's son, becoming a spare part that never quite worked without his mother and the conflict between modernity and tradition, something that Star Trek itself is built on.