Star Trek: The Next Generation

Ship In A Bottle

Aired Unknown Jan 25, 1993 on CBS

• Moriaty returns to wreak mind-fudging havoc

One of those episodes that you will either like or not. No real action here, but the threat of destruction posed to the Enterprise does enough to add a medium level of urgency to the screenplay.

This is another of those intelligent episodes that delves into the phliosophical issues of existence and dabble into the subjects of consciousness and reality.

I did find the whole aspect of Moriaty's consciousness an interesting concept and wished theyd done more with, but alas it was just bad from a writing aspect that the crew had apparently forgotten about him. What was worse was just how conveniently they had done it and for how long - 4yrs.

However, the mischevious plot that Moriaty unleashes on the crew makes up for it and if you are watching it for the first time, I dare you to admit that you werent fooled too! :D

I also thought the added complication of having the Duchess (Beacham's character) was great. She does a spiffying job of convincing us that her character is Moriaty's eternal soulmate.

If the plot is the star of this episode, then the ending thankfully does a great job to match it. A clever little turn-the-tables ruse by Picard to get Moriaty to release the ship to him and leave him and the Duchess living in eternal bliss.

I wonder if they ever make a sequel to TNG-DS9-Voyager that they will revisit plot threads like this one and provide a suitable conclusion to them!

Again, dont expect hectic fight sequences, but an intelligent story will entertain you and the ending will leave you satisfied within.