Star Trek: The Next Generation

Silicon Avatar

Aired Unknown Oct 14, 1991 on CBS

7.6
  • I Liked It!

The crew of the Enterprise has to investigate an object called the Crystalline Entity that is responsible for the deaths of innocent people on different planets. I like Star Trek, as I've enjoyed the movies, but have never gotten into the TV shows. This was my first attempt at seeing The Next Generation, and from what I've watched, it's not bad. It's a little slow in places, but the ideas were intriguing. I might watch more episodes, maybe not.
  • Snoozer

This sequel of sorts to first season's "Datalore" is one of the lows of season five and a rare "Data" episode that's a snoozer. Spiner faces an uphill battle dealing an unfocused script and guest star Ellen Greer as Data's "mother" (she's awful)."Silicon Avatar" might be Star Trek's worst tale of the many they've done that have been inspired by Moby Dick. The best part of the episode might be Troi's admission, "I don't think you need an empath to sense that woman's feelings."
  • An away team of Riker, Data, & Dr. Crusher are surveying land on a Federation colony located on Melona IV. They are interrupted by a massive crystal like being. Riker is familiar with the being. It is the Crystalline Entity.

An away team of Riker, Data, & Dr. Crusher are surveying land on a Federation colony located on Melona IV. They are interrupted by a massive crystal like being. Riker is familiar with the being. It is the Crystalline Entity. The Crystalline Entity begins attacking the planet trying to consume all life. The colonists find a cave to hide in. The colonists are close to breathing their last breath when Lt Worf shows up. The colonists leave the cave and find the world is barren. A scientist known as Kila Marr wants to destroy the Crystalline Entity.
  • A somewhat ho-hum story with a powerful, intense conclusion.

I think the actress playing Dr. Marr kills this story, or maybe lackluster writing. Or maybe the problem is that we don't know Marr - it's her first and only appearance on the show - and can't connect to her. I'm grasping at straws, because this episode has some serious potential.

Moby Dick wasn't about a large whale, and "Silicon Avatar" isn't about a large man-eating mineral. It's about a person so consumed by desire for revenge that they go insane. The bitterness is at first directed at Data, but quickly takes a surprising turn.

The worth of this episode is in Data's final "confrontation" of Dr. Marr. It's a brutal, uncharacteristic-of-TNG conclusion, delivered in Data's unemotional, calm voice.

One final comment - I thought Picard's calm, unemotional response to the moral implications of the crystalline entity's killing of humans ("sperm whale... cuttlefish") was somewhat odd, perhaps an oblique criticism of the Captain. He'd prove to be a hypocrite on "I Borg".