Star Trek: The Next Generation

Skin Of Evil

Aired Unknown Apr 25, 1988 on CBS

7.4
  • "Au revoir, Natasha."

Deanna Troi's shuttlecraft crashes on Vegra II and the crew arrives for her rescue. When the away team arrives and heads for the shuttle to rescue Troi and a crewmember, an unknown dark slick lifeform gets in their way, preventing to have contact with Troi. The creature reveals himself as Armus and tells them to leave, but when Tasha tries rescue Troi, Armus throws her across and she lands at head point, dies instantly.

I don't think anyone who watches TNG from start to finish would ever have expected to have Tasha killed off near the end of the season. It was random, shocking and one of the things that pull us in because it's a plot twist, you have an already established character all of a sudden die near the middle of the episode. The scene at Sick Bay when Dr. Crusher tries to revive Tasha felt like an ER scene: meaning it was intense. They tease you that there could be hope by shocking Tasha's body in hope it will jump her back, for a moment her body flinches but as Crusher repeatedly tries again and again when she knows she lost Tasha, she finally looks down for a moment then says "She's gone.", placing her hand on Tasha's face and we see Picard staring in disbelief, inculding Data, almost showing a facial expression. Of course Denise Crosby later on regretted asking to be written off, and we see her say that by appearing in later episodes as an alternate Tahsa and the Romulan Commander, Sela. The scene with Tasha's image saying goodbye to the crew was touching, including the end with Data asking if he missed the point of the service by thinking how he would miss her presense, being "selfish", Picard looks down for a second, looks at Data and tells him "No Data, you got it right." and then we see Data staring off alone on the hills. Nice touch. I'm recommending this episode.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars. One star taken out because Tasha's death could have had more meaning (which would be fixed in Yesterday's Enterprise). (8.0 on TV.com)