Star Trek: The Next Generation

Sub Rosa

Aired Unknown Jan 31, 1994 on CBS

6.2
  • Really a lot better than I gave it credit for in my first viewing. Gold acting stars for McFadden.

First time I watched this episode I thought it was dumb, but with the second viewing, I realize it's quite good!

The premise for this story is pretty weird - a ghost in the Star Trek universe (well, not a ghost, but still). I also thought it was pretty funny (in a good way) how the weather systems happened to fail, giving the colony a real Scottish feel.

Definitely the best part of this episode to me is Beverly Crusher's obsession with Ronin. She gave this type of performance before in The Game, but here it's even more pronounced, and it really works. I like how she's sitting in front of the candle in her quarters, rocking back and forth. Equally as good is the scene where she's rushing off the Enterprise. Her quick explanations followed abruptly by "energize!" are great, and really show how obsessed (addicted) she is...

I also liked when Riker said "it just sort of...rolled in on us" (referring to the fog on the bridge of the Enterprise). C'mon, fog on the bridge? That's funny!