Star Trek: The Next Generation

The Battle

Aired Unknown Nov 16, 1987 on CBS

7.6
  • A Ferengi captain returns Captain Picard's former command, the USS Stargazer, in an act of friendship, but the Ferengi have other plans.

"The Battle" is definitely an entertaining episode for sure. I certainly was never bored. However I found this episode to have one too many liabilities to give it a higher rating. The first is the Ferengi. They are very hard to take seriously as a villain. They are also not very interesting characters. Unlike the Romulans they have no sense of appeal to them. I guess that is the point, but they just don't make a good enemy. Second the script is not the best written one I have seen. It was obvious from the beginning that the log entry from Stargazer in which Picard admits firing on and destroying a defenseless ship was false. However Patrick Stewart's strong performance and the scenes between Riker and the Ferengi first officer Kazago do help this episode and make it interesting. I do like "The Battle" quite a bit and have watched it several times, but there are better episode of this series.