Star Trek: The Next Generation

The Bonding

Aired Unknown Oct 23, 1989 on CBS

6.8
  • A touching episode about becoming orphaned, though ultimately a relatively weak episode of season 3.

I think the currently low TV.com rating for this episode is overly harsh. The story here -- about a boy who becomes orphaned for the second time -- is genuinely moving, to a large degree because the kid actor gives a very intense performance as the stoic Jeremy Aster. The episode isn't exactly riveting, but it's a testament to the show's best stretch (seasons 3, 4 & 6) that even when a lesser episode was presented, it was good enough to maintain the viewer's attention. Not a bad debut for writer Ronald Moore.

You can really see the mature Worf developing in these early season 3 episodes. The character's depth, so apparent in the later seasons and especially in DS9, starts to emerge from the silly caricature of the first and second season. Also, this is probably the first episode to show the growing relationship between him and Troi.

Also, not the kind of thing I normally notice -- but there were some really cool camera angles in "The Bonding". I especially like the scene with Worf and Troi, viewed through some sort of metal mesh, but there were others I can't remember.