Star Trek: The Next Generation

The Inner Light

Aired Unknown Jun 01, 1992 on CBS

• A fantastic episode that really furthers the character of Jean-Luc Picard.

When I first saw this episode a few years ago when I was just getting into Star Trek, I knew with absolute certainty that there was something special about the series.

A great standalone episode that really adds to the depth of Picard as a character is a real credit to the writers. The idea of giving him a chance to live a complete life in a matter of minutes was absolutely genius. A probe launched by a now extinct society allowed for somebody to share the story with future generations to ensure that their existence wasn't forgotten.

Previously, Picard was a man that never had desires to have a family of his own, to have the experience of being a father. Living the life of Kamin gave him a new outlook and made him realize that his previous opinions were not as negative as he thought they would be.

If you haven't seen this episode of Star Trek or aren't a strong fan of the series, you really should take the time to see it. You need not know anything about the character to appreciate the episode.