Star Trek: The Next Generation

The Inner Light

Aired Unknown Jun 01, 1992 on CBS

• A very poignant episode indeed...

A very poignant episode…

Where to begin…? This episode was the highest point of ST-TNG. Such amazing acting by Patrick Stewart, such raw emotions, the plea of a civilization long-dead… all of this comes together to make this episode the classic that it is.

More than a few moments stand out… Amongst which I would rate the end of the episode... when Picard receives the flute in his room… and holds it close to him, remembering the life he has lived, the friends he had, the family he nurtured, the world he came to accept as his own… The pain, was just so evident on his visage. Another one, when he plays for an audience... his contemplative mood as he plays the flute... the lovely rendition of frère Jacques.

The Music in this episode stands out and rates (IMO) as amongst the best in the series, right up there with “Lessons”.

In conclusion, even though I watched this episode when I was 12, I could not help but be moved by it. Now, older, I have come to adore this episode, as the finest in the genre. Kudos.