Star Trek: The Next Generation

The Last Outpost

Aired Unknown Oct 19, 1987 on CBS

6.9
  • The Ferengi are introduced as the Federation's archenemy, with embarrassing results.

This episode begins with a popular, and solid, Star Trek premise: the Enterprise encounters a mysterious, more powerful alien entity that overpowers the ship. Some suspense is built as we are led to believe that the Enterprise has been overpowered by the mysterious Ferengi.

Much of that promise is wasted as soon as we see the Ferengi captain on the screen. Yes, he's mildly sinister, but nevertheless hard to take seriously. And the story really goes to the dumpster as soon as the Enterprise and Ferengi crews meet. How the writers ever envisioned that the Ferengi would be a convincing "enemy" on the show, I don't know. What I do know is that the Ferengi on this episode are just as ridiculous as they would be on later ST episodes, but without the humorous slant and personality that made them entertaining. Here they are just lame.

Also, the Guardian or whatever-it's-called on the planet -- not necessarily a bad idea in principle, but the execution is just awful. However, the sequence where he does some crazy proto-Matrix thing with his axe -- that was something else, horribly executed and hysterically funny at the same time. Something straight out of a B-film!

The two main redeeming features of this episode, as on many other 1st season TNG stories with lame storylines, involve Data gags. The "red white and blue" joke, involving Data, Tasha and Worf is extremely funny. And Data with the Chinese finger toy -- hilarious.