Star Trek: The Next Generation

The Loss

Aired Unknown Dec 31, 1990 on CBS

6.7
  • When the Enterprise encounters a group of 2-D lifeforms, Troi loses her empathic abilities.

4.5
    Having just seen this one again for the first time in a while, I can see why I was never tempted to pull a repeat viewing with it. I like Troi, but she's not remotely my favorite character. Outside of "Face of the Enemy", I'm not sure there's an episode centered around her that I really like. This episode is no exception to that rule. A little bit of angry, irritated, and highly emotional Troi goes a long way and this episode provides plenty of it. It gets pretty tiresome rather quickly and I found myself not really interested in her plight. Still, her storyline does give some good character moments, especially in her coversations with Riker (loved her huffy dismissal of him when he calls her Imzadi) and Guinan's typical inspirational guide-you-to-figure-it-out-yourself speech. She really would make a good counselor if she wanted to. I guess centuries of living give you that kind of wisdom.

The other plot was pretty routine and didn't add all that much to the episode. Not one of Season 4's best.