Star Trek: The Next Generation

The Loss

Aired Unknown Dec 31, 1990 on CBS

6.7
  • Troi is like nails on a blackboard

1.5
    The bottom line with this episode is that it made the Troi character, never one of my favorites along with the always pathetic Wesley, one that I thoroughly detested.

When she loses her power and starts to rail and pitch hysterical fits at her crew mates who are trying to show concern, well it gets to be way, way too much emoting from an actress who's simply not that talented.

Ryker nailed her when he described her as having a superior attitude and frankly, I always found her "empathic" abilities to be a cheap and lazy writer's crutch to supply a quick way to know what the opposition was feeling instead of making the writers, actors and yes the viewers figure it out without her method of cheating.

This episode exposes the actor's weakness, much as any Data episode where he has any type of emotions expose Spiner's inability to be anything more than the emotionless Data - which he is perfect at. If he gets to emote as Lore or then in films with his emotion chip, well it was worse than a very special Wesley episode.