Star Trek: The Next Generation

The Naked Now

Aired Unknown Oct 05, 1987 on CBS

• A Near Disaster

This episode seemed intent on establishing the idea that Roddenberry was going to use TNG as a platform for remakes of episodes from the original Star Trek. Even before the title sequence, my reaction was, "can't they even come up with some new scripts?" It might have worked better if it had been shown later in the season, perhaps as the fourth or fifth episode. I can understand the need to establish some ties with its predecessor, but in drama, as in comedy, timing is everything, and this one came a little too soon. This had the potential to turn off a lot of people who appreciate originality. It came very close to being the last episode I watched.
  • A Goofy Episode...

This Is A Goofy Episode... It Is Also Unique Since There Is A Chief Engineer That Appears For One Episode Only... And Then She Disappears And Then Argyle Takes Over... He Should Have Stayed With The Enterprise, But Didn't... And Then For A Very Short Time They Had A Jerk Named Lt. Logan, But He Probably Remained On The Starbase Where He Took The Saucer Section In The Arsenal Of Freedom. And Then Geordi Would Later Take Over Permanantly, And They'd Also Have A Regular Engineering Staff Like Sonia Gomez, Reginald Barclay, & Robin Leffler. I Said This Before, That The Enterprise Began With An Incomplete Senior Staff, And They Never Finished Either... Some Of These Episodes Look Very Old... They Even Look Older Than The Movies That Came Out Beginning In The Late 70s... And This Episode Is Very Wierd... That Is Probably Because Of The Way That The Crew Is Behaving...
  • What happens when your entire crew gets drunk? Well not drunk, but they might as well have been.

I believe another reviewer stated my opinion on this episode perfectly. (S)He stated that this was enjoyable, but that it was also too early in this series as we had not gotten to know the characters yet. I agree completly. That said; this is probably one of my favorite episodes. The reaction between the characters was fantastic, and we even got a bit of forshadowing. I'm talking about the sort of pairing between the captain and the doctor that kept us asking will they, or won't they? These type of shows don't usually do too well with comedy, but this one kept me laughing (intentionally or not) from start to finish.
  • Intended as a light-hearted episode, this one should have been done much later in the series.

As other reviewers have commented, the producers chose to do this episode far too early in the series. The idea -- some mysterious disease infects the crew and they all start behaving inappropriately toward each other -- is not a bad one (after all, it was used in at least 2 other Trek series), but it only makes sense once you actually have a good sense of the characters themselves. That's impossible only two episodes into a show.

The first time I watched this episode, the word "awful" came to mind. The second time, my opinion improved -- but it's still not very good. Despite some ham-handed attempts at drama, the "serious plot" is worthless. Most of the jokes are not much better. The best parts (as on many early TNG episodes) center around Data; his romantic encounter with Tasha Yar is a classic of the series. There's also the hilarious sequence where Wesley takes over the ship ("Acting Captain Wesley Crusher"). There's some nice chemistry between Gates McFadden and Patrick Stewart (this could have been really good from season 3 on).

Aside from that, this episode contains most of the bad qualities of the early TNG -- mediocre writing, bad production values, cheesy music, and some stuff that is just flat-out bizarre (why would the rapidly expanding layers of an exploding star look like an asteroid?).
  • Not a series high and definitely misjudged considering it was only the second episode...but still strangely compelling in a dumb, immature kind of way.

5.5
    'The Naked Now' is the first regular episode of TNG and, as such, is severely misjudged. I don't have a problem with the writers doing a re-make of the original series episode 'Naked Time', but...so early in the series? To have the second episode of TNG a blatant re-make of an original series episode was a really bad idea. At this point, the writers should have been demonstrating that they have new and exciting ideas of their own, but...no.

It's also a terrible idea to have an entire episode centre around the characters acting...well, out of character. At this point in the series we don't have a firm grasp of who they are yet, and to have them running around behaving like drunken horny teenagers was a terrible lapse of judgement.

Like another reviewer noted, I remember this being a terrible episode, but upon re-watching it I have to say it's not as bad as I remembered. It's certainly not great (the jeopardy aspect is forced and wholly unexciting and some of the scenes border on annoying - mainly the Wesley ones, I have to admit). But there's a certain goofy charm about this and a number of genuinely amusing moments and one-liners. Data's joke about the woman from Venus still makes me laugh (I'm immature I know) and I still can't believe Data and Yar had sex...particularly when you consider what a sexless show TNG soon became. Yikesy.

Put the brain into neutral and you might find this amusing and mildly entertaining. Not a series high and definitely misjudged considering it was only the second episode...but still strangely compelling in a dumb, immature kind of way.
  • SILLY... but surprisingly entertaining!

7.1
    First off... this was perhaps the funniest episode I have seen in all of Star Trek, it was pure sillyness but surprisingly it was an entertaining episode, at first I would never of expected this episode to go anywhere; it seemed to be going knowhere for the first 10-15 minutes but afterwards I looked back at this episode and found it to be surprisingly funny to watch, without a dought it was a great episode for a shacky first season of a fantastic show that can only ever get better.

Overall this episode probably does'nt make any sense at all but if your in a funny mood and you want to watch a light hearted episode then this one is the one for you.
  • Character building in a completely surreal environment

Firstly, let me point out the best scene in perhaps the first season - Tasha Yar seduces Data! After youve stopped laughing, youll laugh some more at Bret's unrefined acting of Data in that situation. Something that wouldnt have happened later on. I can cut him some slack as its only the 3rd episode, but I cant imagine the scene being played like that in future seasons.

A very big error imo which would have destroyed the deus machina of the plot (the virus) would have been to have established containment protocols active on the returning crew! Centuries of human medicine goes out the window as the returning crew are let loose among the ship to infect everyone else. Surely a competant crew would have considered the possiblity of contamination after seeing the effects of something inexpicable on the other ship?!

Anyways, if you can put that aside, the goings on make up for that and deliver a very watchable episode.
  • Enterprise crew become uninhibted by a virus, Data becomes intimate with Tasha Yar, Troi also tried to seduce Riker, Wesley Crusher commandeers the Enterprise, Beverly Crusher tries to seduce Picard. Data fixes the Enterprise. His supple hands fly

SenSAtional!

My first impression of Data occurred in this episode---I saw him as the perfect friend for me. So childlike and free, yet so wise and mature.

And I still wonder what he and Tasha did behind her closed doors! What techniques did he use on her? Was she into roughhousing, or did she like just "gentleness", as she said she wanted "from you, Data..."

I imagine him the perfect lover and the perfect friend. His voice was so gentle: "I am sorry. I did not know." to Tasha's "Do you know how old I was when I was abandoned? Five. Five years old."

Gentleness, joy and love...
  • the crew of the enterprise all get drunk and the doctor has to find a cure to save the crew

this is a good episode where we see the crew of the enterprise infected by another ship. while on board to see what had happen to the crew they find them all dead. back on the enterprise the crew start to act strange. they seem to be drunk. tasha is in her room when data is sent to bring her back to the brigde while there they have sex. data face is very funny. every one is acting odd. its up to wesley and data to get the ship back on track before a star collapes and destroy the enterprise. will they make it on time.
  • I love this episode. You get to see the "real people" without the constrictions of the uniform, so to speak.

Picard and Beverly seem quite a pair, I never really understood why they didn't get together. I guess that has to do with Picards privacy policy. He was right in the last episode he "should have started to play poker with them ( aka socialize in general) with the bridge crew a long time ago." You also see Data and Tasha let loose as he finds out that he is fully functional and she finds that you do not have to loose your feminity to be strong.
  • Pastiche, much?

I recognize the fear in early ST:TNG that old fans would not buy this new Star Trek, especially with the new crew and the lack of Shatner or Nimoy, but this tribute episode happened way too early. It would be like Picard walking on the bridge for the first time and sitting on a tribble. The crisis was unrealistic, too. Wouldn't most of Kirk's adventures be required reading? Wouldn't Data be able to recall the information faster? Wouldn't Beverly have studied this in school? Apparently the Enterprise has the research capabilities of a guy with World Book '94.
  • One of the best TNG episodes. The Naked Review

Based off the TOS episode The Naked Time, The Naked Now brilliantly introduced the characters we met in Encounter At Farpoint. The episode introduced LaForge`s wishes to see and Data`s endeavors to be more human. Wesley`s brilliance was shown. We also learn of Data`s being "fully functional" and "anatomically correct". It is my opinion that this episode was the best first season episode. The Naked Now convinced me the greatness of TNG. Watch this episode!
  • Enjoyable if unoriginal.

A plot that steals directly from the original series but is polite enough to acknowledge that fact in the script. It has to be said that this is a good plot to repeat allowing for a sense of fun that was largely absent from the pilot – Picard gets to loosen up and the Data/Tasha scene is priceless. Paradoxically even though this is a show featuring the regular cast acting out of character this probably introduces them better than Encounter at Farpoint. This episode essentially succeeds by being silly and is a breath of fresh air after the previous episode which took itself a little too seriously. Enjoyable if unoriginal.
  • This was an okay episode.

I'm not really sure that I like these kinds of episodes, but I will still give it a nine for the idea of the disease that infects the crew. This was also a pretty good episode, along with the episode in which Riker catches a disease of his own, that almost kills him.
  • This is a remake of the episode, 'The Naked Time,' from Star Trek: The Original Series. An alien substance, transmitted through touch, has an intoxicating effect on the crew, exposing their most guarded inhibitions.

Worth Watching? Yes

Note: Feels like Comic Relief

Character Focus: Includes most of the crew, but Data stands out

This is a nostalgic episode, a nod, to Star Trek: The Original Series, if you will. Thus, nothing new, and meant to be a fan pleaser. The episode doesn't seem to take itself too seriously, and neither should you when watching it. It was one of the very first episodes of Star Trek: TNG, and I belive it's purpose was to reel in new viewers with it's humorous plot, and at the same time, attract fans from The Original Series (because of it's familiar plot). When it comes down to it, this episode feels like a classic, guilty pleasure (think, 'The Trouble with Tribbles from TOS, and Tribbles & Tribulations from DS9).
  • A fun episode to see the crew act drunk and horny.

Yes, as a second episode it was obviously way too early to have an episode like this because no one at the time ever got to know the characters before this and so it didn't work out well and that was the bad news.

The good news is that this episode aged well. After the series was over and on reruns, we look back on The Naked Now after knowing our characters and it seems to work out almost perfectly.

You have to admit this is hilarious esspecially the scene with Picard trying to handle Dr. Crusher on the ready room door and she unzips her uniform saying "Take me!" infront of the crew and Picard whispering in a funny tone "Not now doctor!"

Of course there are other hilarious scenes like Data getting laid then acting drunk, another classic moment.

Now is it a perfect episode worthy of five stars? No. I take one star off because at the time of its realese wouldn't have worked out, but now that we have finished the show and watch it on reruns, it's one of the finest of the first season.

4 out of 5 stars (8.0 on TV.com)
  • A fun episode with a sense of humor.

This episode would feel more in place, if it had come a little later in the series. Since it was only the second episode, it felt a little out of place, because it had the crew teasing each other, acting drunk, and acting like complete fools. It would have been much funnier had it come later, instead it feels kind of awkward, since we don't know the crew very well yet. However, if you watch the episode after seeing most of TNG, you will find it to be a very funny escape from the normal. This episode also has some great one-liners.
  • The crew investigates the disappearance of the crew for a ship and bring back a virus onto the enterprise. the virus intoxicates them much like alcohol does. wesley takes control over the ship and everyones trying to do eachother.

well, lets see...i think this would be a great episode if it didnt seem like they were trying to preach something. however, it does do some good for setting up characters such as wesley (it developes his character so we know exactly how well he knows the starship), his mother.

I also like how it delelopes jordi's character, it shows that he just wants to be normal. We get a little history of most of the characters as well.
  • The good, the bad, the goofy!

This episode is a lot more fun to watch years later after you have seen the characters develop. When it first aired we only had two other episodes to contrast the outrages behavior of the crew with.

It starts off quite intriguing but its almost a carbon copy of the original Star Trek episode its based on after that. To this day I find myself wondering how Data was affected emotionally. He is virtually immune to all of such effects after this episode. But it was extremely funny to see him refer to this episode in the First Contact movie as the last time he had made love.

4-Word Highlight of the episode: Acting Captain Wesley Crusher

• everyone on the starship Enterprise gets a virus that makes them seem Drunk including Data.

this was great i thought it was funny just seeing Data drunk especially after he was talking to the captain then the captain left and Data stands there for a second or two then fall flat on the ground that was so funny i couldn't help but laugh! ha ha
  • This is one hilarious episode guaranteed to have you laughing you head off. The “Enterprise” is sent to confirm strange occurrences on the “U.S.S. Tsiolkovsky”. When the “Enterprise” arrives there is no sign of life on the “Tsiolkovsky".

This is one hilarious episode guaranteed to have you laughing you head off. The "Enterprise" is sent to confirm strange occurrences on the "U.S.S. Tsiolkovsky". When the "Enterprise" arrives there is no sign of life on the "Tsiolkovsky". An away team investigates the problem on the "Tsiolkovsky" They find nothing and beam back aboard the "Enterprise". Geordi starts showing signs of some intoxicating effect. He unknowingly spreads it to Lt. Yar. Lt Yar become seductive to Data. Data then is intoxicated. Will the crew be able to leave the star that is on verge of collapsing?
  • The Enterprise crew is infected with a disease that has an effect like alcohol.

It's easy to question the decision of remaking an original Star Trek episode ("The Naked Time")… especially when it's done right at the beginning of the spinoff series! But this one isn't a bad little first season offering. Wheaton (Wesley) and Spiner (Data) are fantastic, and you can tell they're already getting a handle on their alter egos. The script is tight and gives all the characters a chance to let us learn a little more about them. It also has a sense of humor that "The Naked Time" lacks. That said, I'm not quite sure why Roddenberry didn't try for a similar episode with a different catalyst – to separate it from the original series.
  • Why, oh why?....

5.5
    Why the Star Trek: The Next Generation producers and writers could not have tried to separate the new Star Trek show from the original is beyond confusing. Instead of allowing The Next Generation crew to embark on their own unique journeys for their first few episodes, the producers/writers decided to remake the original Star Trek series episode "The Naked Time" by Next Generation episode number two. Of all the original episodes to remake too! "The Naked Time" is not even a great original Star Trek series episode to begin with!

So the basic premise is that many members of The Next Generation Enterprise crew contract a mutated form of the disease that the original Enterprise crew encountered. Depending on the individual, the disease makes a person angry, overly silly, or extremely horny.

This episode is remembered only because Data and Tasha Yar have a roll in the hay together. "The Naked Now" is not a great or even particularly good episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. For one thing, the acting is all over the place. It is not surprising that the cast would need time to really polish their performances but the drop in quality between this and the first episode "Encounter At Farpoint" is ridiculous. Also, there are just too many scenes that are impossible to take seriously - or funny. This is either because of the poor writing or the poor acting - probably both.

As bad as the episode is overall, it manages to hold onto some dignity: LaVar Burton makes a very good showing as Geordi (one of the few worthwhile performances of the episode) and the audience is treated to a nice tense ending. Still, "The Naked Now" is not a great piece of The Next Generation series and does not begin to hold a candle to the original Star Trek episode "The Naked Time."
  • Examining the mysterious deaths of the crew of another USS Starship, members of the Enterprise crew are infected by a touch-transmitted virus that causes them to lose inhibitions and display manic behaviour. A horrible remake of 'The Naked Time'...

I plan on going through the entire run of 'The Next Generation' on DVD to review. Though it had its flaws, I quite enjoyed "Encounter at Farpoint". But when I remembered that "The Naked Now" was next in line to view, I instantly thought to myself "oh no, I have to sit thought *that episode*"!!

I find the very concept behind this episode being made very strange. At the start of 'The Next Generation', Gene Roddenberry was very much set against too many direct ties to the original series, feeling that this new incarnation should stand on its own merit (heck, even Klingon Worf was only added to the cast at the eleventh hour before filming of "Encounter at Farpoint", after much debating). So it seems as bizarre that, with this, the first regular episode after EAF, they decided to directly remake one of the Original Series episodes.

Although some might hail it as such, in my opinion, in my opinion "The Naked Time" wasn't even one of the best episodes of the classic first two seasons of the Original Series anyway, but at least it had a couple of iconic moments, such as Mr. Sulu swashbuckling his way along the corridors. It seemed to have much more scope; "The Naked Now", on the other hand, mostly just feels like an excuse for the cast to "do funny", and it's hard to buy into this 'outlandish behaviour' from characters we've literally just met the previous week. And although the first episode after the Pilot is always a tough one to execute, I agree with a fellow reviewer that the sharp drop in quality from EAF is very noticeable.

This episode also does nothing to help the many who didn't like Wesley. Admittedly, his actions are affected by the virus, but even so, his brattish behaviour here won't win him any new fans, not to mention his first infamous example of "saving the ship". And then there's the convenient writing – at the start of the story, Wes shows off to Geordi his new voice replicator - ohh, I wonder how that will fit into the plot(!)

Although I didn't take a shine to Tasha until a few years later after first being subjected to- ...sorry, I mean, watching this episode, I suppose at the time I liked the sequence of Tasha sauntering along the corridors, making passes at crewmen; and then a bit later, there's that costume she's just about wearing (though I don't like the hairstyle). With that and Doctor Crusher getting all hot and bothered, at least there was something at least from this weak episode to interest me as a 12-year-old boy! (Sorry, just that just sound really sordid?!)
    While I'm on the subject of female crew, I hate Troi's "severe" first season look, first seen here; they shoulda stuck with her appearance from EAF.

Handled the worst in this episode is Data. It feels totally wrong for him, an android, to be affected so severely by the virus, and while everyone has their own take on the famous scene between Tasha and himself, it really doesn't fit with the character that he's smiling. Come to think of it, if he's an android, just how does he-... what does-... actually, we probably don't need to go there!

To heavily paraphrase, the writer / producers original intent for this episode was "for the cast / crew to let their hair down after EAF, and to show a different, lighter side of themselves to the viewer". But it backfires.
    If they did feel such strong need to re-work "The Naked Time" for TNG, they should have done it later in the series, where we were much more familiar with the characters, and tackled it as a direct spoof. As a first regular episode after the Pilot, it is badly misjudged; in my opinion, this first regular hour-long episode should have been planet-based. As much as I feel it was an over-used concept in TNG and spin-offs, they don't even feature the Holodeck in this one to break things up a little.

On first ever viewing, "The Naked Now" might at least hold some initial mystery before realisation that it is a direct remake of "The Naked Time" fully sets in. But for re-viewing, there is very little that is fun to go back and visit with this one. Although I haven't seen some of the episodes for a few years, I think I probably rank this as one of the weakest, most misjudged episodes of TNG. To any new viewers who were still trying to make up their minds about the new show and the new crew, this one did TNG no favours.
  • "The Naked Time" it is not. Trash from the back of some drunk, horny guy's fantasy, it is...

1.3
    This story is a remake of the original Trek series' episode "The Naked Time". This original episode, from 1966, used the situation to build up and flesh out characters' inner feelings. "The Naked Now" is a bit more primeval. Instead of character building, which is what TNG needed so early in its run, everyone acts drunk, stoned, or horny. Even Data nabs Yar in bed. I will give future seasons' episodes that look back on this unfortunate aspect of Data's anatomy credit for trying to play it straight, with some success. A feat in of itself remarkable, but was it wise to do in the first place? Just one of many eye rolling moments in an episode that was a truly wasted opportunity. It's "The Man Show", 20 years earlier.
  • While investigating the death of the crew of the Starship Tsiolkovsky, the Enterprise crew becomes infected with an illness that causes erratic behavior.

It has been mentioned countless times since this particular episode first aired that it is a ripoff of the original "Star Trek" episode "The Naked Time". I might as well say that I do agree with that opinion. With that out of the way, I will say that despite the fact that I was turned off by the copycat plotline to a certain degree, I did find this episode very entertaining. The cast does very well in their parts both before and after they are infected. I like that fact that it did not get too over the top as it did in parts of "The Naked Time". I also liked the side of the crew the illness brought out. Wesley wishing he were in command of the ship, Troi revealing she still has feelings for Riker. How can I forget Denise Crosby who in this episode gave the best performance of her short time on the show. I gave "The Naked Now" an average rating because of the copycat aspect of this episode. However if you could get past that you will see that it's actually quite good.
  • The Naked Now

It's funny, I used to think "The Naked Time," an early episode in the first season of TOS, had a dumb title, but "Naked Now" wins out. You can give the writers credit for immediately reinforcing the new series' connections with the old, creating a stronger sense of continuity between the two and, in theory, letting some of the excellence of "Time" rub off, but in practice, the characters are still too rough, and the plotting far, far too loose for the comparison to do TNG any favors. This is a mess, and what's almost fascinating enough to be entertaining is how thorough a mess it is. We're not just talking about bad jokes, or weak plotting, or clumsy performances, or misjudged tone. We're talk about all of those problems, combining to create an ungainly, clunking forty-five minutes of television. After watching this, I'm amazed the show lasted seven seasons. Hell, I'm amazed it lasted a month.

The Enterprise is investigating problems on a research vessel near a collapsing star--and it's funny how we're already resorting to the same tropes of the original. The "troubled science team" is such a Trek standard at this point that you wonder if script-writers aren't handed out a series of Mad-Libs at the start of the planning process: here's "TST," here's "God-like being," here's "planet which has evolved into an exact duplicate of some location and time in Earth's But familiarity isn't the issue here. Riker and an away team beam over to the science vessel to find the crew dead, and the whole ship in chaos and disrepair. Dr. Crusher insists on full quarantine procedure when the teams back, including a transporter scrub, but while her precaution is well-advised, it doesn't do any good. Soon Geordi is babbling about how much he wants to see beyond the limits of his visor, and it's not long before he manages to spread his sickness, a sickness that the Sick Bay computers don't recognize at all, to the rest of the crew.

The progression here is roughly equivalent to the TOS episode, and that's an issue, not so much for going over the same ground as for how much illogic and laziness is required to make retracing the steps possible. Crusher pays lip service to procedure, but security in Sick Bay is hilariously lax; despite Geordi's clearly disturbed mind, and despite the fact that the science expedition team died because their minds were disturbed, Geordi is able to wander out of the Bay as soon as the doctor's back is turned. Then there's the fact that the original Enterprise recorded their encounter with this particular "disease," but it's Riker who ends up making the connection between the two and not the computer system, despite the clear and obvious relationship. I don't expect the computers to do all the thinking, but surely a search for "rapidly spreading lowered inhibitions, dead crew" would've yielded some results. And then, even once the connection is made and Beverly prepares McCoy's cure, it's another twenty minutes episode-time before she tries it out on anyone, allowing the sickness to take over most of the ship. Once she does test the cure it doesn't work, so she has to prepare a new iteration, which is a valid, if uninspired, way to drag out the threat. But why did it take so long to make that first test? Maybe she was hoping Wesley would get sick and beam himself into the star.

Oh no, wait, that was me. I want to stress, my complaints about the Crusher brat are not directed at Wil Wheaton; true, he doesn't give the best performance, but he was young, and as written, the role is already indefensible. So, so indefensible. I was lucky enough to start watching TNG regularly only in the third season, so I think I missed most of his worst moments. But he's terrifying to me now, with his needy, grinning desperation to be noticed. In "Now," he builds a magical levitating device that he uses to lift chairs, then take over engineering, then save the ship, and even though the results are positive, I still don't trust him. I mean, sweet Jeebus, he has a machine that he uses to simulate Picard giving him orders. I can only imagine what those orders turn into, late at night, after Mom goes to bed.

Sorry! Twisted state of mind, but that's what this episode did to me. Even overlooking Wesley's twerpitude, there's still a whole cast of actors willing and able to embarrass themselves for Tasha Yar's assault on my senses continues, as first she gets sick, then she gets horny, and then she has sex with Data, a colossally misjudged scene that threatens to derail the android's presence on the show before he can really establish himself. Even on his own, Data isn't much fun. Whenever Spiner shows emotion "in character," it comes off as oddly smug, and unlike Spock, Data needs to be humble to be likable. Smarmy Data just makes you yearn for an off switch.

Not everybody does poorly. While Picard and Beverly's flirtation is pretty damn ridiculous, both actors are strong enough that it isn't that horrible to watch. Picard hasn't come entirely into focus yet, but Stewart is so good that this haziness seems intentional and intriguing, and McFadden proves herself again to be thoroughly reliable. And you know who surprised the hell out of me? Riker. I'm understanding his "Kirkness" more and more, as he's the only person on the Enterprise who manages to resist the disease out his sense of duty. In an episode as misbegotten as "Now" is, you have to cling to whatever sanity presents itself.
  • this one is awful

I am surprised at the 7.5 average rating on this episode. This is by far one of the worst TNG episodes ever written. Just plain awful. Thank God they hired the new writers and producers that gave us the episodes we all know and love.
  • The Naked Now: still early in the series' evolution, and just average overall

Here we see another example of the gradually building of the show finding itself. But not yet...