Star Trek: The Next Generation

The Naked Now

Aired Unknown Oct 05, 1987 on CBS

• While investigating the death of the crew of the Starship Tsiolkovsky, the Enterprise crew becomes infected with an illness that causes erratic behavior.

It has been mentioned countless times since this particular episode first aired that it is a ripoff of the original "Star Trek" episode "The Naked Time". I might as well say that I do agree with that opinion. With that out of the way, I will say that despite the fact that I was turned off by the copycat plotline to a certain degree, I did find this episode very entertaining. The cast does very well in their parts both before and after they are infected. I like that fact that it did not get too over the top as it did in parts of "The Naked Time". I also liked the side of the crew the illness brought out. Wesley wishing he were in command of the ship, Troi revealing she still has feelings for Riker. How can I forget Denise Crosby who in this episode gave the best performance of her short time on the show. I gave "The Naked Now" an average rating because of the copycat aspect of this episode. However if you could get past that you will see that it's actually quite good.