Star Trek: The Next Generation

The Next Phase

Aired Unknown May 18, 1992 on CBS

• When La Forge and Ro are lost in a transporter accident, the crew mourn. Little do they know, the duo has been knocked out of phase, unable to be seen, heard, or felt by anyone. And only they know of a Romulan plot to destroy the Enterprise...

A very enjoyable, if somewhat silly episode. I only say it's silly because it, as usual, suffers from every other "out of phase" story ever told in science fiction. The first one that probably comes to mind is, if they pass through regular matter, why can they walk on the floor? And that's just the first of many. If you can suspend your disbelief, however, it's a fun one to watch. It's nice to see Ro come to terms with being "dead" and learning a little humility, as La Forge later puts it. It's also quite telling to see how the crew reacts to their beliefs that their two fellow crewmates and friends are dead. Each individual has a different reaction and each suits the character well. Especially of note is the conversation between Data and Worf in the shuttle as they invisible Ro and Geordi listen in. It's also a bit entertaining to be in the same position as Ro in regards to just what it was Riker would have said about her. If I were to speculate, I would guess that it might have something to do with the events of "Conundrum". One wonders where their relationship might have gone had Michelle Forbes been on the show more often in the later years. Finally, I have to comment on the unique team-up we were able to see with this episode. Ro's had some extensive scenes with Picard, Riker, and Troi in the past. However, other than Geordi's critical comments about her in Ro's first episode and a brief scene in "Power Play", there hasn't been much interaction between the two characters. It's fun to see that here as they work together and while it doesn't get the depth that she displays with Picard and Riker, it still works well, which is actually a pretty good description for the episode itself.