Star Trek: The Next Generation

The Nth Degree

Aired Unknown Apr 01, 1991 on CBS

• After a mysterious space probe zaps mild-mannered Lt. Barclay, the crew of the Enterprise begin to notice a change in their humble crewmate. His intelligence and confidence soar, but he becomes a liability when he merges with the computer.

The return of Lt. Barclay provides for a very good episode, unless you happen to dislike Reg. If you do, this might be your favorite Barclay episode ever since he doesn't act like himself for half of it. If you like him, though, you'll probably still enjoy the change, getting a glimpse of the confident man he probably has the power within himself to be, if not necessarily the Einstein-correcting genius. It's a fun story as our crew has to deal with their friend's dramatic changes, Cyrano de Bergerac, Holodeck-rigged computer interfaces, a galactic journey, and a giant floating head. Like I said, it's a fun thing and it's probably a good thing that we didn't get more of Mr. Barclay. Less is more, as they say, and this episode may be evidence of that.