Star Trek: The Next Generation

The Perfect Mate

Aired Unknown Apr 27, 1992 on CBS

7.4
  • Not bad, not great. Picard steals Riker's role and falls in love with the alien-of-the-week.

The interaction between Picard and the Metamorph is intriguing the entire episode. He finds her irresistible but is able to hold off his emotions in favor of the mission. She, however, finds this incredibly attractive and ends up bonding to him.

We get some very good acting from both Picard and the guest star, but I just couldn't get wrapped up in the plot. It all dealt with the issue of arranged marriage and how it's antiquated in an advanced society. I just really couldn't feel sorry for the Metamorph. Even though it was her biological imperative to bond to someone like Picard, she really sets herself up for disappointment since the mission of peace must go on. Does she have no self control at all? They kept emphasizing how she was essentially going through puberty and her body was out of control, but that felt too much like a "Deus Ex" to make me care. All in all, a sad ending, but certainly avoidable if the metamorph had exercised any level of restraint or responsibility. Maybe I was missing something here.