Star Trek: The Next Generation

The Royale

Aired Unknown Mar 27, 1989 on CBS

• It never ceases to amaze me how generous many of my fellow reviewers on here are...

This starts off a mildly intriguing episode - why is a piece of NASA debris found far out in space and why is an inhospitable alien planet home to an old Earth casino populated by cliched American gamblers?

Alas, the mystery is solved far too soon and isn't really that interesting or original in retrospect. The rest of the episode is a fairly pointless, uninspired piece in which an old book 'Hotel Royale' has been recreated by aliens, complete with its 'superficial' characters.

It's ironic how the episode is at pains to tell us how terrible the source material, the 'Hotel Royale' book is. But this whole episode is really little better, playing like a stock holodeck-malfunction episode with little insight, little wit and little point. There is a slight novelty factor at seeing our crew in a Vegas casino, but you'll quickly get over it. For a vastly more enjoyable casino romp, check out Deep Space Nine's 'Badda Bing, Badda Bang'. Give this one a miss.