Star Trek: The Next Generation

The Vengeance Factor

Aired Unknown Nov 20, 1989 on CBS

6.7
  • What could have been a decent episode is ruined in the last few minutes.

Captain Picard attempts to negotiate a truce between two groups of Acamerians who have been feuding for centuries. The negotiations seem to be going well until it is discovered that the Sovereign's servant wishes to assassinate the renegade leader. First Officer Riker attempts to stop the assassination by stunning the servant with his phaser. The phaser stun momentarily stops her but she attempts the attack again, so he increases the stun setting and stuns her again. He increases the stun setting and visually warns her not to do it again, but she attempts it anyways so he stuns her again and this time she falls to the floor. He sets the phaser to the kill setting and visually warns her again, she looks at him with sadness and tries her attack again so he vaporizes her. I simply couldn't believe it, Riker did not have to murder her, he could have stunned her and apprehended her. As the doctor had already explained the virus the servant was carrying could only possibly harm the renegade leader. Riker's action was not the only thing that made me mad, I always just as angry about the reactions, or rather the lack thereof from the others in that room. Captain Picard looked perfectly relaxed, which shocked me. I just can't believe what I just witnessed, I'm still in shock.