Star Trek: The Next Generation

The Vengeance Factor

Aired Unknown Nov 20, 1989 on CBS

6.7
  • Wow. Vaporization? Unbelievable.

For the most part this was not a bad episode. It wasn't particularly good, but not bad. I love Star Trek so I'm entertained even by the weakest epiosodes, (the piece of crap "Shades of Gray" being an exception) but plot holes bother me. Some plot holes you have to learn to get past as a Star Trek fan, like everyone speaking English and having an 80's hairstyle, but Riker killing Uta for no reason? He should have gone to prison. The phaser blasts were clearly stopping her, especially with each one on a higher setting. Why could he not have simply stunned her into unconsciousness so she could be arrested and dealt with on her own planet? Besides, he didn't even warn her his phaser was on kill except for a slight head shake. I agree with everyone here that the ending was ridiculous and uncalled for. I get that they were going for dramatic effect by putting Riker in a situation where he had to kill a girl he was into. It would have been a lot more effective though had they devised a situation in which murder truly was necessary. I rate this episode a 6 because it was at least somewhat interesting, but if I were rating the ending only I would rate it a big fat zero. I'm just going to pretend I never saw that so I can keep liking Riker.