Star Trek: The Next Generation

Tin Man

Aired Unknown Apr 23, 1990 on CBS

7.6
  • Not too good, not too bad

This episode centers around Tam Elbrun, a Betazoid played by guest star Harry Groener. It tosses out a lot of elements in the early goings (Tam's backstory, a new life form, the Romulans) creating an exciting buildup, but the latter half is predictable and somewhat deus ex machina. Groener does his best to create an interesting character, and it's fun to see the crew of the Enterprise staying true to their purpose and seeking out new life, but overall the episode is just middle of the pack for the series.

• This episode started with some interesting material but ultimately did not leave much of an impression.

Episodes in which the protagonist is played by a guest actor are always risky because the audience might not connect with him/her, and that is what happens in "Tin Man".

The idea of a gifted but mentally unstable negotiator is an interesting one, as is the concept of a "living space ship". Ultimately, though, we don't really feel any connection to Tam Elbrun and when whatever happens to him happens to him, we shrug our shoulders.

At the end the writers suggest that maybe this episode wasn't about Elbrun, but in fact about Data. A potentially touching ending just kind of went over my head...
  • One of my favorite episodes! The other reviewer is wrong!

This is one of my favorite episodes - I can't imagine why one of the other reviewers was so negative. I thought the relationship between the Federation's representative and the alien ship was very interesting and I could feel Tam's pain of living in a world where he never has silence in his mind... The two meeting/connecting/calling each other across the galaxy telepathically was very appealing to me. To me this was a wonderful story of a misunderstood person and how he finally finds his answers. And of course, a good dose of Romulans, telepathy, and intrigue make this a wonderful story. Watch this one!
  • The "Enterprise" recieves orders from starfleet to transport a betazoid male known as Tam Elbrun to distant star system. In the star system we find a living ship called "Tin Man". Tam Elbrun has extraordinary powers. He has the ability to read everyones t

The "Enterprise" recieves orders from starfleet to transport a betazoid male known as Tam Elbrun to distant star system. In the star system we find a living ship called "Tin Man". Tam Elbrun has extraordinary powers. He has the ability to read everyones thoughts as wells as "Tin Man". The romulans show up attempt to try to be first to contact this creature, but end up making the creature mad. Tam Elbrun and Data beams aboard "Tin Man" Tam Elbrun decides to stay aboard "Tin Man" I rate this episode a 7.0 for new lifeform.