Star Trek: The Next Generation

True Q

Aired Unknown Oct 26, 1992 on CBS

• A chance to revisit "Hide and Q"

Perhaps the weakest of the Q episodes, "True Q" is nevertheless enjoyable. Yes, the parallels to "Hide and Q" are obvious, but we get a chance to revisit that scenario and take the option that Riker DIDN'T take.

Obviously Riker (or any of the other main characters) couldn't have taken that option because of the impact it would had on the show. Instead, Olivia D'abo gives fine performance as Amanda, an attractive and likeable young woman that allows the audience to develop at least a weak emotional bond with her character. Therefore we become invested in the story and the dilemma that she faces.

My main problem with this episode was the subplot of Amanda having a crush on Riker -- a subplot that ultimately goes nowhere. I would have much rather seen Riker guiding Amanda in making her decision by offering his own unique (not to mention highly relevant!) perspective. It could have even developed into an entertaining and thought-provoking argument between Riker and Q, with each trying to convince Amanda which choice to take.

Instead, the events of "Hide and Q" aren't even mentioned in this episode, and I think the writers missed a real opportunity to make this episode shine.
  • True Filler

This is sort of a remake of "Hide and Q", but instead of being about Riker, it features cute-as-a-button Olivia D'Abo as Amanda, the young intern tempted by the powers of the Q. She's great, and John De Lancie is great, but the story plods along in a paint by numbers fashion. Star Trek would essentially do this episode over in Voyager's seventh season episode, "Q2" but with a tighter, more exciting structure and a more personal connection for Q. As for this one, it's just a sixth season filler episode that's only notable for including Q.
  • I'm surprised her name wasn't Dorothy...

Okay, we have this teenage girl with super powers. Her parents, who lived in Kansas, died by a tornado despite such conditions being atmospherically impossible at the time. In Kansas...

It turns out, the child is a Q and her masters are keeping an eye on her.

I liked the interaction between Q and the girl, and especially Q vs Crusher, but the "Wizard of Oz" references are too over the top. As usual, John DeLancie shines in anything thrown his way.

It's a nice filler story, but one of the more mediocre Q episodes... and with the best Q story yet to come, this does manage to whet our appetites for more Q...
  • Its Q again, sort of.

This episode is undeniably a filler. However, it can stand on its own merits. This episode gains the viewers' attention in a clever way. The young intern, Amanda, is a likable character. She is sweet, intellgent, gracious and kind. We are drawn into her story because we care about her.

Amanda slowly begins to realize the full potential of her new found power. She can do anything that she wants to. This episode encourages the viewer to consider what one would do with this power. Would you save the world? Bring back a loved one from the dead? We are also shown that having the power to bend others to your will is not always what its cracked up to be. There would be consquences to such a power. This is an interesting story line because almost everyone has considered what it would be like to have God like power. In True Q, we are given the chance to see what it is like.

Ultimately, Amanda must decide whether or not to join the Q Continuum. She is told that if she remains among humans, she must refrain from using her power. Here is yet another question: How hard would it be to stop yourself from using your power?

This may not be the best of the Q episodes. In fact, we see very little of him, but it is a good one.
  • A Q episode - true, true!

7.8
    Though it is a Q episode its a filler. Only Qs appearance takes it above a 6. Nothing really happens of any consequnce. We meet Amanda - a member of the QCont, though she doesnt know! A series of trials set by Q, make up the bulk of the events in this episode. It is these trials, benign as they are that held any interest for me and may do for you.

The threat over Amanda is also the only element to worry the viewer and keep them watching, unless you really want to know how her particular story turns out.

Not a great Q episode, so if you miss this then I wouldnt worry about it!
  • The weakest Q episode since season 1. John DeLancie is forced to carry a mediocre script.

I am not as big of a fan of Q as most other TNG viewers. Writers seemed to get lazy in these episodes, hoping that John DeLancie would carry what would otherwise be a ho hum script. That said, I can only imagine how weak this episode would have been in his absence. He pokes fun at Picard's pompous speeches and turns Dr. Crusher into a dog.

The rest... snooze. The Enterprise gets an intern who develops Q-like powers, much like Riker did in the 1st season Q episode whose title I cannot remember. She experiences similar ethical dilemmas with similar boring results.

Fortunately, his next two appearances on TNG would be far superior.
  • there are two Qs on board the enterprise.

john de lance reprise his role as the pain but lovely Q. (thats just my opinion.) in this episode a young in turn name amanda is on the enterprise and is helping doctor crusher on a cure for a plantnet. she starts to show that she can make things disapear. then Q shows up and informs the crew that she is a Q. a female one. he wants to take her back with him but at first she says no. my favourite scene is when amanda throws Q across the room. at the end picard and Q deciced to let amanda go with Q. as long as Q looks after her. says picard.
  • The “Enterprise” takes on a new guest named Amanda. Amanda has extraordinary mental abilities. She was chosen above hundred of applicants to serve aboard the “Enterprise” Dr Krusher is working with Amanda to help save Tagra IV.

The “Enterprise” takes on a new guest named Amanda. Amanda has extraordinary mental abilities. She was chosen above hundred of applicants to serve aboard the “Enterprise” Dr Krusher is working with Amanda to help save Tagra IV. Tagra IV is suffering from heavy pollution that will cause life on the planet to die. Guess who else shows up aboard the “Enterprise”? None other than Q. I wonder what he wants. Is he ashame a woman can do things he can. Q is jealous and offers the Amanda a choice join with the Q Continuum or she will die.
  • A young intern named Amanda visits the Enterprise. While there she shows peculiar behavior similar to the Q. Turns out that she is. Q then just happens to drop by and makes Amanda choose to become a Q or remain human while resisting to use her abilities.

I always do enjoy those few episodes that Q happens to drop by The Enterprise. See no matter how superior he seems, he must have just an inkling of good moral fiber in him. To let Amanda live. For some reason this is more of a character developement. Because everytime Q is on The Enterprise, he just happens to learn something new about humans. I'm not sure if he keeps that in mind while he's on his other adventures, but atleast he managed not to destroy anything.