Star Trek: The Next Generation

Unification (2)

Aired Unknown Nov 11, 1991 on CBS

• Spock Rocks

This spy episode, with Leonard Nimoy guest starring as Spock, is not as ambitious as might be expected, but is nonetheless an enjoyable conclusion to Trek's first midseason two parter. Unlike "The Best of Both Worlds", expensive battles and effects are eschewed, replaced by the more cost effective focus on espionage and character. Nimoy even finds a small character arc for Spock, playing off events in the original series and also Star Trek VI, which had been shot but was not yet in theaters when this episode aired. He's supported by strong performances from guest stars Malachi Throne (Pardek) and Denise Crosby (Sela), as well as another outstanding performance from Brent Spiner (Data), with whom Nimoy seems to have the most chemistry.
  • Nice to see Leonard Nimoy in action, though the writers ham it up too much.

Perhaps I'm rating this episode so low because with Leonard Nimoy in action this episode should have been a classic. Instead, we have a more-than-solid episode that happens to include Nimoy as a guest star.

As far as Spock - it's nice to have him aboard, and Nimoy fits in like he's been on TNG the whole time. Unfortunately, the writers felt they had to bang away at the relationship between the original series and TNG - comparing Picard and Kirk (cue music!), comparing Spock and Data, etc.

There's tons of potential here - espionage on Romulus - but it's never fulfilled. Compare this to the DS9 episode "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges", which is far superior.

That said, this is an enjoyable 45 minutes and a nice blast from the past. Picard, Spock and Data's escape from the Romulans is exciting, as is the wind-down of the second story aboard the Enterprise.
  • Picard and Data meet Spock on Romulus. Picard tells Spock his father has died. Spock’s plan is to reunite the Romulans and Vulcans. What is odd Neral, a member of the proconsul seems to agree that Romulans and Vulcans should reunite.

Picard and Data meet Spock on Romulus. Picard tells Spock his father has died. Spock’s plan is to reunite the Romulans and Vulcans. What is odd Neral, a member of the proconsul seems to agree that Romulans and Vulcans should reunite. Sela, the Romulan daughter of Tasha Yar is consulting with Neral. Sela’s plans include overpowering the Vulcans in order to gain control of their planet. Spock succeeds in foiling her plans. Picard and Data see that the Romulan-Vulcan reunion is not going to happen and beam back aboard the klingon vessel. Spock is staying behind to promote peace.
  • Blended Casts Make Great TV

Blended Casts Make Great TV

The first example of different Trek generations in the same story line. Spock and Picard are a great combination. Denise Crosby as Commander Sela is always worth tuning in to see. Although you wonder if she regrets having given up as Tasha Yar, who required a lot less time in the makeup chair.

Performances are dead-on, from the Klingon captain even down to Will Riker, who sometimes plays a little too over the top. Even the comic scenes with the lounge singer are entertaining.

Well plotted -- in fact, this probably would have made a great movie.
  • I really loved seeing Spock! What a great two-part episode!

Unification was great! I loved seeing Spock, and most of all, it was great seeing Captain Picard and Data dressed up in disguise as Romulans! Data looked fabulous! Picard I could barely recognize. It was a really great plot, though one thing bothered me... why would the Romulans leave them unguarded in a room with a computer? That was just asking for trouble. I liked seeing Spock in action, using his logical mind at every turn. Sela was good too, so treacherous! I liked seeing how fantastic the Romulans are at intelligence. It just boggles the mind. There are spies everywhere! Definitely one of my top five faves of TNG.